1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly burnout?

Jul 7, 2007

1. ..............................................

2. I usually have burn out phases...I'm still nuts about my dolls (have been since I got my first 3 years ago) but I do have some phases (usually when I work too much and am just too busy for weeks) where I simply feel burnt out and just don't play with them like I usually do.
      It also happens when I can't seem to bond with a new doll like I hoped I would, I get upset and just take some distance from the hobby for a lil while til I can get back and be as motivated as before and either ready to sell or try to bond with the doll in another way.

3. When I was waiting for my first dolls, I was sure I'd burn out in a few months. I had many hobbies in my life and at best they lasted for three-four months. But I'm into BJDs for more than two years now and I'm still as passionate (even more so) as in the beginning. I think it's because the dolls are so versatile, you just can't get bored with them. And there are so many things you can do with them. I started with sewing and making photos, now I (tentatively) try doing make-ups and mods, and so on.

4. Just recovering from one, actually. I moved states and didn't really have a lot of room for them, because I'm anal about aesthetics, but I'm also really messy. When I moved again, they sat under a friend's bed for three months. During that time I couldn't get my Paypal to work, so they suffered with the same wigs and clothes I'd had since almost two years ago, and you know how that is. And due to the fact I couldn't sell or buy anything, a faceplate I was unhappy with couldn't be traded, so she sat in a box too. But I'm finally trying to fix all that by getting the doll I want, and will slowly get them new things. My room is still a disaster and they have no place to sit, but I'm more optomistic about it now. Now, when I look at them, I don't feel depressed.

5. As I´ve been in the hobby for really short time (few months) I haven´t experienced burn out yet, but I am afraid I might soon because I am too passionate about BJDs. But nothing permanent. I am pretty sure this will be my hobby fot really long. I never stayed with any hobby for long except for Japanese fashion and music. With dolls it feels the same. Though I am sure I will get tired of them from time to time, they mean way too much for me to let go for real :)

6. I sometimes get burnouts.... but personally I think it is normal when at one point there is just too many things happening and to be able to continue you just leave some things behind.

Most of the time I always return to what I have left behind though. I will never stop loving what I have loving, I may get less into it, but I will always love it and getting "rid" of something I "burned out" of will only make me go into a guilt trip I do not want to go through.

Right now, if I ever get too tired of them (Which habitually happen when there is too many bad things and stress going on in my life) I will just leave them in my closet and I'll wait to get better before getting them out =3

I've only been seriously in the hobby for a little more then a year, but I've already been trough small burnouts... this year as been catastrophic for me, but now that its getting a little better I'm getting 2 new additions ;3
      Or at least when everything thats going on sorts itself out D<

7. I think 'dolly burn out' would be pretty natural- you get sick of anything if you do it enough. I haven't had that happen yet really, but there are entire weeks when I totally ignore my gang, they become expensive paperweights effectively XD But I have A LOT of other hobbies, so that's going to happen. Then one day I need to hug something, and they're right back in the limelight. If I got to a point where I just couldn't see myself wanting to have dolls again, I'd just stop buying things, and put all of the ones I have into a cabinet to be admired but not touched, and end my hobby time gracefully.

8. It varies, but I do find that the hobbies I got myself into by myself tend to not burn out. Things that were either brought to my attention because of who I hung out with (anime, pay-for MMOs) tend to die down, but those that I brought myself into (dolls, drawing, Puzzle Pirates, Second Life) tend to stick around indefinitely. The only exception to these so far has been comicking, which was sort of a cross between my love for drawing and my friends love for reading the short stories I wrote, it's stuck for many years, but I've been on a haitus since Art Foundation freshman year of college, but slowly building my interest back up in it. One year of solid drawing can drain you.

I find the dolls kind of funny, Aidara seemed very lonely without a friend, so when I finally got Gelert, she shined. Now Gelert spends most of his time chilling out here (he's heavy) but Aidara still goes many places with me and gets played with way more. I'd like more dolls, but I'd be just as happy with just Aidara again, but her character felt so lonely then. They haven't done much this fall though, I've been busy finishing school, but hopefully after I'm done with that next week (O.O) and get my job applications all sent out proper, I can sit down and spend a bunch of time on them.

9. I'm thinking about stopping collecting of new dolls in 2010 and just being a 2000-2010 BJD person. I think for me, not having to focus constantly on "latest greatest whatever" helps avoid burnout. I know with Barbies I'm not very interested in too many made post-1985 (basically when they started making more of them to appeal to adult MIB collectors), and a lot of other doll lines didn't even last more than a couple of years.

My worry is that some BJD that's a "must have" will come along post-2010 and knock me off track.

10. I've had burnouts, sometimes for periods of months on end but I always seem to come back. The dolls would just lose their charm, I'd tell myself something like. "Ah I need an MSD, that will be different and new!" Then i'd order the MSD, be excited when she arrived for a couple of weeks, then it would die down. So I'd convince myself I needed a larger doll which much be different etc. Anyway they'd get put on the shelf and then months later i'd notice them again, their beauty would come back and I could start fresh and play with them again. The nice thing about BJD as a hobby is that there are always new dolls coming out and new items to renew your interest!
      Even if the dolls are sitting on the shelf for a time, you can still be involved by reading others photo-stories and checking out the news.
      I guess BJD have a certain captivating charm that i've found other hobbies do not.

11. I pretty much left the hobby for a year. I go months without even looking at my dolls. I have other hobbies I enjoy and some, such as cosplay, take alot more effort and are more fun for me.

There are times I question why I'm in such hobbies I love yet hate :B

12. I've been in the hobby for four years (I think) and I did burn out for like a year but I'm back and I feel my affection for the hobby is a lot stronger now than it had been at the begining.

13. I'm definitely feeling burnt out at the moment and this is the first time so far, I think. I believe it's because I recently purchased a doll and I'm torn about whether to keep it because of bonding issues. Plus, I'm just overall unhappy with how my dolls look. Not to mention the fact that I've been in the hobby less than a year and already have gone through three and a half dolls without bonding with the exception of one. :(
      I'm pretty confident this will eventually pass, though.

14. It's hard to burnout when I hardly get to play with them. The anticipation is starting to pall however.

15. Yeah, I've been burned out before. For two straight years to be correct. It partly was due to the circumstances (family crisis, death, personal crisis). Pretty much everything that could go wrong happened and I just couldn't bring myself to do things that I previously loved to do. But I'm back, and Im not leaving again for quite some time.

16. Streamlining my collection has helped me avoid burnout, I think. I did have a population explosion, but I've managed to cut right back and I'm only really interested in collecting Volks dolls from now on.

17. I don't really burn out, things just get put on hold then i get back into it.

18. I've been heavily into the hobby for 3 and a half years now and I haven't burned out even once. I've rethought my collection from time to time, and have bought and sold accordingly, tweaking it to the absolute perfection it is for me now. But that's more a learning process than anything else. For me, the endless possibilities for creativity keep me continuously motivated...there's always something for me to do. And if I were to ever tire of a doll, I could always just customize her into something completely different, as is the nature of these dolls...or sell her in the marketplace and use the funds to buy another. DoA is also a great motivating factor. I really enjoy how the Mods strive to keep everything on topic here, which means it's always going to be about BJDs, not about people's problems in their everyday life (surprising how often that takes over in other doll forums) DoA gives me a happy place to escape from real life when I need a break to re-stoke my creative fires.

19. i burned out for a few months. no DOA, no bjd, no looking at photo's of them nothing. a doll i was putting together turned into a major hassle, i never was able to put it together and i was very upset at how things went. so i vowed to never get another bjd again :doh like that'd ever happen. lol i got over it, and i'm buying my dream doll from the company to avoid hassle. long to wait, but less stress.

20. I've definitely had burn-outs before. Just recently, I came out of one that lasted about 4 months or so I would say. It got so bad that I thought I was falling out of the hobby for awhile. But thankfully, It's all better now. :3