1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Cross-Dressing

Sep 11, 2007

1. Totally off-topic, but I remember that study. Everyone was fascinated by it. You're so cool! Ahem...as for crossdressing, if you're going to do it, do it well. Coordination is key. Beware of mixing patterns. Aaand...the right shoes make an outfit. Best I can do right after lunch *_*

2. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      I don't think so. As long as the child is completely clothed. I don't like boys were short dress or skirts without bloomers or leggings or something like that.

b] when cross dressing how far does one go? Does one leave it to feminine clothing/face-up? or does one go all the way?
      I would like it would depend on the character. I don't cross dress my doll. If you wanted to your doll to look like a cross dresser then you wouldn't give them feminine faceup. But if you wanted the character to naturally look like a girl then feminine faceup would be fine.

c] Is it wrong to post pictures of your cross-dressers?
      Not as long as the marked properly, warning viewers of cross dressing and any nudity.

The only problem that I personally have with cross dressers is that if you have a tomboyish girl a lot of users will assumed to be a boy because they are a lot of cross dressing boys.

3. Nudity needs to be labelled, yes. But cross-dressing does NOT need to be labelled. Gallery Rules are here:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7668

Scroll down a bit to see Zagzagael's tactful handling of somebody who was offended by a hermaphrodite doll:

"Creativity in modding and/or photographic representation of a ball-joint doll to the board is highly encouraged, it certainly doesn't follow that every mod and every doll and each photo is going to appeal to every member."​

Crossdressing is not inherently risque. Any problems you have with the 'intended gender' of any doll's clothing are entirely your own hangups.

If we did have rules that make such a discriminatory value-judgments about a doll's style-- then I would petition to require warnings for every Lolita doll out there. I don't wanna see that stuff, it's totally creepy. But that's just MY hangup. See how that works?

... Actually, kfunkcc put the "It's Your Hangup" response much more gracefully in 2 sentences.

4. To each his own.

Personally - my boy tends to cross dress because he looks good in a skirt...and I can't make pants, nor can I find cute boy things for him to wear.

For your questions:
      1. is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      No - teens are doing this in real life...if you make it unethical for dolls to cross dress - where do you draw the line?? So long as they aren't out doing something dangerous, let teens be teens...and that goes for the resin teens as well.

2. when cross dressing how far does one go? Does one leave it to feminine clothing/face-up? or does one go all the way?
      Depends on the doll. I wouldn't say my boy has a feminine face-up...more gender neutral. But dang - there are some very pretty boys out there and they aren't in dresses. This happens in real life - so I don't think it odd that BJD collectors want to express perfection in beauty through their dolls.

3. Is it wrong to post pictures of your cross-dressers?
      If it was wrong - then so many other things would be wrong. Are you going to stop the pictures with partial and full nudity? What about all the beautiful mods? Some people find those offensive. I think with the diversity of the BJD collecting community you will always find something to offend someone - but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

For me - dolls are a thing of beauty...and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

~Shannon

5. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      No... If I ever buy myself a tiny, he'll be a little boy and I'm going to dress him like a little boy in 1870! (basically, like a girl...) I don't think it's unethical. Not like a doll is going to complain... Crossdressing isn't really unethical; it's breaking "social norms," but not unethical.

b] when cross dressing how far does one go? Does one leave it to feminine clothing/face-up? or does one go all the way?
      As far as the owner of the doll wants to go.

No. I don't see why it would be.

6. That line just cracks me up!

On the issue at hand, however, I agree with what seems to be the majority opinion. It's all about the context of the image. If it's an underage doll and the material is sexual or explicit in context, then I don't agree with it. However, if it's just a boy in a dress or a girl doll in a boy's school uniform, it's really a non-issue for me, too. People dress differently in real life, why not dolls?

7. I would really like to know what makes you ask this, what you have read on here that makes you think we have members who have such strong opinions against cross dressing dolls. Cross-dressing dolls is popular here, a short look around the gallery and you will see boy dolls dressed as girls, girls as boys and general gender blurring. I have never seen a bigotted comment made towards someone posting these kinds of things, so I am a little shocked by your questions. It implies in a way that you believe the forum to be close-minded, to ask these questions.

That is my personal opinion on your questions.

8. Agreed. Nobody really cares around here. I ordered my doll 3 weeks ago and I wrote his backstory with the intention of making him a cross-dresser. I expect he'll be all pissy about me making him wear trousers in cosplays and things. Cross dressing is in his character. I intend to get another male doll who wouldn't wear a skirt if someone paid him. It's all in the character the owner of the doll wants I think.

9. A) I really see no harm in that. At least where I grew up, minors cross dressing is mostly a joke done for the sake of laughs. I remember in 7th grade, a few boys wanted to reenact Cinderella and they dressed up like the females in the story. I remember the same year, a group of guy friends cross dressed as the Pointer Sisters and Tina Turner. So, if my MSD ladies want to be boys, it's totally fine. I recall a few children stories (ie: Mulan, Ozma) that involve females crossdressing.

B) Up to the person.

C) Not at all! Yet, my dolls tend to be all ladies. I would like my CH Choa to wear a men's suit one of these days.

10. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      considering i used to dress up my brothers in dresses when they were younger ....i would have to say nope. As long as you don't have too many pictures of them that you can show their friends XD

well i don't have a doll yet and don't intend to cross-dress my boy doll once i get him(sometime in the distant future) unless it's a joke so it would only be feminine clothing if anything.

and what do you mean all the way? like personality wise?? i am confused

nope. it's all about personal preference. if you don't like cross dressing then don't post pictures. and if you don't want your dolls to cross dress-then don't put pictures of them cross dressing, up.
      and if you are offended by cross-dressing pictures, stop looking at them...and get over it 8D

11. the questions don't really seem to imply that this person thinks that they belive the forum to be closed minded. It seems more like curiosity.

and i'm not saying that i am against cross dressing either, i just think you may have misinterpreted this persons intentions

12. i dont think its wrong or unethical in any way. i like to cosplay guys, and i made a lolita dress for my guy so we could do a little gender switcharoo.
      i thinks it rocks.

13. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      Well I don't think cross dressing is something wrong. In fact its a trends for different style we want for our kids or what our kids want. Moreover different people always have different mind set and interest. So it won't be a matter by cross dressing your dolls underage with more decent outfit. :sweat

I cross dress one of my girl here where by based on her characteristic, she don't like dresses but pants. She's sporting and punky type. So her outfit all are hoods and cargo pants/short pants or jackets. Her face up I gave her more cool and boy style. I consider I actually turn her to be a boy more then girl cause every time I post her picture, people will misunderstand her as a "boy".

I can't see any reason why we can't post out cross-dressers picture. Well with decent outfit all that of course we can post. Moreover there's tones of owner out there dress their boy as girl not just owner but doll company did that too. I kinda like some cute boys in girl dresses and girl in boy outfit.

Note: Sorry my for my broken English. :|

14. i have no problem (ethically) with real life kids cross-dressing nor do i with dolls. In society it's hard to accept CD so i'd be concerned about my kid's safety sure. I have cross dressed...mostly in second grade...but i no longer do.

I don't like boy dolls in super frilly dresses, but a guy in a skirt doesn't bug me...nor am i bothered by a guy in pink. I just usually can't identify a doll's sex...i'm getting better now though.

It's preference...i don't like every doll...my girls happen to be girls...and out of my friends, my doll is the only straight one (and i happen to be gay...how's that work?) which i also find is odd but whatever.

15. i dont see a problem having guys and girls dressing as the opposite sex.
      It's my preference.. but some dolls might do look weird trying to
      cross-dress

16. I see nothing wrong with it. I dress Shiwoo in boy and girl clothes. Me personally, irl, am pretty much a girl cross dresser. I barely ever wear girl clothes. I'm totally fine with it. =^w^= I see nothing wrong with cross dressing.

17. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?

Please forgive me if this hostility seems to be directed at the OP or anyone else who has posted but... WHY DO YOU CARE? It is entirely up to me whether I photo my male doll in a dress or not. And why do you care if I photograph my tiny in a dress, for that matter?

These are dolls, they are pieces of very expensive plastic that has been moulded into an appealing shape so that people will buy them. Once they have been bought it is entirely up to the owner how they portray the doll. It is not up to you to say 'that is ethical, that is unethical' because it does not involve anyone else. There is no child being photographed, there is no victim, and there is no crime.

I just wish people would stop bringing up threads like these! It's ridiculous!

b] When cross dressing how far does one go? Does one leave it to feminine clothing/face-up? or does one go all the way?

Again, WHY do you care? But, on the other hand, when I cross dress dolls I like their clothing to be sufficiently female. I prefer to put them in frilly lolita dresses because I can't get my hands on any that would be in my size, without paying through the nose. I like to see my boy doll dressed up pretty and if that means in dresses, that's up to me!

Also, I will put my tiny (who is a boy) in dresses because he prefers them. No taking off his shorts to go to the toilet, no pulling them down to show off his scales. That's the character, btw. And I'd STILL put a tiny into a dress because it's ADORABLE and most tinies are sexless.

No and why the hell should you care about what anyone else thinks? It's your doll, do what you want with it!

18. i have no problem (ethically) with real life kids cross-dressing nor do i with dolls. In society it's hard to accept CD so i'd be concerned about my kid's safety sure. I have cross dressed...mostly in second grade...but i no longer do.

I don't like boy dolls in super frilly dresses, but a guy in a skirt doesn't bug me...nor am i bothered by a guy in pink. I just usually can't identify a doll's sex...i'm getting better now though.

It's preference...i don't like every doll...my girls happen to be girls...and out of my friends, my doll is the only straight one (and i happen to be gay...how's that work?) which i also find is odd but whatever.

19. a] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?

I think as long as the cross-dressing suits the character of the doll, and it's not overtly sexual in nature. The size, or "age" of the doll shouldn't matter.

Again, I think it depends on the character of the doll. Although I've never understood why some people choose to mod a boy body into a girl, or vice versa. It would make more sense to me to just get a new body.

20. I don't thinkit is wrong in any way, btu I still dislike it somewhat. But that is just a matter of style. I can't really understand why someone buys a boy-doll that still looks like a girl? And then get's upset if others doesn't understand that it's a boy. I can understand some elements, such as femenine style on a boy, but I can't really see the point of putting a frilly pink dress on a boy doll.
      Everyone can post whetever they as long is it follows the rules of the forum. This is just my matter of opinion and taste.