1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Cross-Dressing

Sep 11, 2007

1. I don't see anything wrong with cross-dressing your dolls, its whatever suits their taste and personality. Like for example: Me and my friend's dolls both cross-dress. My girl Wrath is a big tomboy, so she prefers more masculine clothes. While Pride on the other hand is very feminine so he likes to dress very girly.

2. ] is it unethical/wrong to picture "underage" (that means 21 for me) dolls cross-dressing?
      ~For me personally,yeah it is.~

b] when cross dressing how far does one go? Does one leave it to feminine clothing/face-up? or does one go all the way?
      ~ u.u' I'd prefer guys not to wear skirts. The face-up/other clothing is fine. Just please,no more guys in skirts. Thats just about all I see on DoA now.~

c] Is it wrong to post pictures of your cross-dressers?
      ~No,just have a disclaimer or something in the title stating it~

*cringes when she sees guys in skirts/dresses* ~It's so wrong to put a guy in a skirt/dress. Emo boys are fine,eyeliner and stuff is fine. Skirts/dresses are NOT fine.~

~Sorry if I offended anyone or posted another reply to this topic.~

3. You mean, "don't expect ME to think the idea is original or fawn over it". Obviously, enough OTHER people still like Shiwoos in skirts & barrettes that they still get plenty of "fawning over" (a hostile way to say "get comments or feedback") in the Galleries. Otherwise, there probably wouldn't still be so many of them there.

I also don't think people are putting said Shiwoos in skirts & barrettes because they're specifically trying to be original. But you're right, they're not trying to be met with hostility, either. Before people start yawning about things they have already seen and how Far Above it they are, try to consider the experience level of many of the members of the forum.... many of whom are younger, and/or come from more-homogeneous communities where they're not exposed to much stylistic variety. They may not yet be sick of the same trends you are, because it is new[er] to them. Such people may be craving sights like men in dresses, or people with tattoos, or what-have-you, because they don't get to see it much in real life. If somebody thinks a trend is cool, why should somebody else's previous experience with it be grounds for bringing them down? As some wiseperson once said, It's not about whether something's already been done before, it's about whether it's been done by YOU before. I don't know who originally said it, but I think that mindset really breeds tolerance.

And now, for Happy Fun "Devil's Advocate" Time: If people want to slam any trend for originality, how about we take on the Loli-goth thing next? Or the animal-doll thing? Or how about the whole Elves & Fairies thing? Or the Angels & Demons thing? All done-to-death too, right? Not so original, right? Same complaints as for crossdressing? If not, why? What's so different about feminized males, that it deserves complaints other trends don't get?

4. I'm indifferent, really... but I think the feminized male dolls can be more "annoying" because of how bizarrely... well, interchangeable they are with girl dolls. On a real man, the female clothes seem to draw more attention to what's male and makes the man something different entirely.... not really male or female. In most cases, crossdressing these male dolls, sticking them in girl wigs, giving them girl faceups... makes them girl dolls with some extra parts.

Men in women's clothing are hot sometimes because you go "Mmm. Shoulders. Maaaaaan." Women in men's button downs and suspenders are sexy sometimes because you notice the curves under the suspenders and go "Mm. Girl." with the dolls, though, sometimes it's not really enough of a difference between the genders to really get that effect.

I think that anthros, fairies, demons, angels, etc., aren't as tiresome sometimes because they're acknowledged as pure fantasy. While you might look at crossdressing dollies and go "Yeah, pure fantasy too", it seems like a lot of the devotees of the crossdressing boys want to argue that they "know someone who looks just like this" or that "boys do have big birthing hips! I've seen it!" and don't want to admit it's as far removed from reality as the average vampire.

It could also be that males in "guy" clothing are becoming a rarity for some sculpts - off the top of my head, Brightfire's Shiwoos are the only Shiwoos I can think of that don't have bright eyeshadow, belly shirts, glittery tank stops, schoolgirl skirts, hairclips, pigtails, etc. ;)

5. Exactly-- and that's exactly why the femmy male dolls are NOT interchangeable with girl dolls! They're NOT "just girl dolls with extra parts". They're male-shaped male dolls with queeny clothes and/or hair and/or makeup on. Which, for your abovementioned reasons, is so much more special than an ordinary girl doll who's wearing the same clothes. Perhaps this is why you see so many Shiwoos in those Candy-Kid outfits, where the owner could've chosen a Lishe for the same look but just didn't want to. Perhaps not all of these owners can articulate WHY Shiwoo is more special in glitter hairclips than Lishe would; but they seem to sense something beyond the Everyday that makes them happy, and thus don't go for the girl doll instead.

At any rate, I have no trouble spotting what's masculine in those queened-up dolls. Even those with the 'daintier' boy-bodies, like CP or Soom. But it's a very subjective thing-- when presented with the same doll, one person might automatically say "wow, his deltoids look so awesome with those satin spaghetti-straps", and another person may sit there thinking, "wow, his lipstick is so feminine, I can't get over how girly he is".

Naah-- "Far removed from reality" depends on the reality of where you happen to be. Where I live here in San Francisco, guys in midriff-tops or cutoff shorts are just not that rare. At some clubs, and I don't just mean gay bars, guys in see-through shirts are the butchest-looking things there. Go into any bar on Goth Nite, and the fishnet tank-top is a standard/required wardrobe item for most males (even the chubcakes who really oughtn't to wear fishnets on their budding B-cups). You find me the queeniest El in a pleather corset & striped thigh-highs, and I will probably say "I know someone who looks just like this, at least on Tuesday nights".

As for big girly hips, & the trend of sawing off breasts to make a boy doll: that goes right into the Transgender rather than Transvestism debate, so I'm not going there.

But! I would definitely like to hear more people expound on why they think this fad is so much more outrage-worthy than any other fad in dollery. Thanks, armeleia, I knew I could count on you to throw some substance back at me. ^^

(PS. "Aren't as tiresome" is also reeeeeally subjective. *yawns at the 67th Loligoth Piglet-Doll of the day* :lol:)

6. You forgot the angsty vampires and the 1000-year-old Minis who look like children but aren't. :lol:

Anyway... I think the time has come for me to make that post I always seem to in threads about this subject, since someone a few posts up brought up "guys in skirts" as a general thing she hated to see.

[​IMG]

My cute little Victorian friend here would like to remind everyone that "Traditional Boy Clothes" does not necessarily equal trousers in any and all circumstances...

Not every guy stuck in a skirt is cross-dressing.
      Some of them are just anachronistic...

ETA: I think my Shiwoos would probably explode if I tried to put them in glittery belly shirts and hair clips. Even Kiji and Ryu (Both MNFs-). Who are girls. o_O

7. For originality, I'd rather let my boy doll go pantsless then slap a skirt on him. Just to be contrary.

Look back on traditional historical garb. By today's standards, you can look back at someone like Henry the Eighth and say from a 21st century opinion- what were they thinking? Poofy pants? Ruffly shirts? Or you could look at later dandies and scoff at how they sport facial hair AND man corsets at the same time. Or you can consider a girl doll in a flannel shirt, a hockey sweatshirt and big jeans with a mug of beer in her hand and a mullet to be butch, while up here it's just hockey season...
      Kidding, kidding. Badly. Come on. The female half of my family ARE those women.
      The pretty-boy thing will never die, obviously, but the ridiculously feminised and skirt wearing ones are so common they probably never will either. Not really a problem, it's like people who dress their girls in goth loli clothing. It's nowhere near as common in real life as it is in the realm of dolls. One of my real life friends who does crossdress is slightly put off by that... they say it's almost awkward looking at a boy doll who from the neck up IS a girl doll when in real life you put so much effort into it. It helps that he's already absurdly gorgeous. :: flattery ::

8. I was actually referring more to humans in gender role-swapped clothing. ;) The bulk of the boy bodies have slimmer lines that can be masculine... but may not definitively masculine enough to look male in female clothing. Especially female clothing that completely obscures the body shape anyway! If it were, say, a Yukinojo or a Limhwa Mano in that Dollheart Fer, that would be different. But when it's a girl head on a reedy boy body? I just have a hard time suspending disbelief long enough to really get into any potential character being established.

I have my court fop coming home soon, so I can't judge anyone else's fluffy boys. I'm just trying to objectively look at why some people find it tiresome to see the droves of boys in miniskirts.

At the same time, that boy is very young... even in that time period, when he's a little older he'll graduate to wearing short pants, and then long trousers. Your point is well-taken, there are definitely times and places where men's clothing has been trousers-optional...

But in general, most people aren't setting their cross-dressed boys in periods or locales that would make it "normal." Most of these guys are dressed in current American teen girl styles.

But then, I guess if you look at real life right now, our emo boys with the long hair and tight shirts, wearing their sisters' jeans.... :sweat Maybe having a host of boys in tanktops and tiaras isn't so far off.

9. [snickers] The "working title" of Rone, Julian and Ashley's little piece of Turtle House is 'Cads, Bounders and Fops'. I'm not goin' to say a WORD about anybody else's over-dressed, decadent resin dandies... Not with those guys and Amber over here.

Then again, they'd probably explode too if I put them in school-girl outfits. :lol:

I picked the alter boy this time because he was cute. I think I used a painting of one of the Chinese Emperors last time around. :lol:

True, that... It just makes me :doh when people grump about "crossdressing boys" and then go on to say that any guy in a skirt is guilty of it. Having a few dolls over here who are perpetually in period costumes that never came close to a pair of trousers, the distinction between what's cross-dressing in the modern sense and what's just sartorial anachronism is one I think people ought to keep in mind.

10. I dont see anything wrong with it at all. Its a guy in girls clothes - and yet i wear jeans and a hoodie all the time, a while ago that would have been a guys outfit, its just fabric.

i do have to admit tho, i dont understand it. Those people who buy a rather feminine male face sculpt, give it a feminine face-up, eyelashes, and long hair, and a female body with the boobs sanded off in a dress. Im not saying that any of that is wrong. I just dont understand why people do it. Im open to enlightenment

11. Personally, I think cross-dressing, when done as a willing form of expression is beautiful no matter who(male or female) or what(human or doll) does it.

I will admit that when I first joined DoA, I was afraid to post pictures of my boy, because he IS transgendered. I didn't know what sort of response he would be met with and I wasn't sure if I would be flamed for it.

I will say however, that the character for which he was customized has existed in my head since before I ever became acquainted with BJDs, so I don't feel as though the doll sculpt itself has influenced how I dress and portray him.

12. It doesn't bother me, in reality i have seen very few men pull off the level of crossdressing that dolls do "well". But If thats how people want to dress their dolls then more power to them. My mnf shiwoo could be considered girly as he does infact wear the dreaded hair clips. thats simply because he had long hair and it keeps it out of his face. He does own a pair of pinkish pants because they were adorable and fit well. But then again I know human kids that wear the same thing. Not all boys have short hair. not all girls have long hair.

Granted some times I get tired of the same old same old but thats more to do with the quality of photography or the story, than the doll themselves. I don't get any less tired of seeing the same old of anything else.

13. I don't really see anything wrong with it. The idea of guys wearing skirts is getting rather common, and many girls wear boyish clothes.
      There will always be people that see something wrong with it, but if you want to give your male doll a dress, that's your choice. It's your doll, you can dress them however you want.

14. Theres nothing wrong. In fact, i dont find HUMANS cross dressing wrong. Whats wrong is making underage dolls perform poses that hints of shounen-ai / shoujo-ai. My two cents. :D

15. surely isn't it all just play and the complexities of how we all go about it :aheartbea :aheartbea :aheartbea

I find it beautiful and lots of fun :fangirl:

16. In my opinion, I think it's not really a problem. It really depends on the doll's owner and what the doll's characteristics are.

I guess, since I'm a crossdresser/crossplayer as well, I know I want my doll to be one as well. Maybe it's a reflection on my part. But the fact is, it's not a problem. You can go all out if you want and you can go as far as you want to go as long as whatever makes you happy and whatever it is that strays true to the doll's character.

I don't have a doll yet but I am pretty decided about his (yes, it's going to be a boy) personality. And crossdressing albeit reluctantly, is going to be part of it. :P

17. I work and go to school in the gayest neighborhood in Houston (yay Montrose!), half of my coworkers are gay, and almost all of our customers are gay. I see cross-dressers, transgenders, drag queens, and just plain old queers all the time. For me, they're just people. I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing (except for that guy who put a safety pin through his eye brow; that's just asking for nerve damage...). For me, having a cross-dressing doll isn't wrong either. It's an expression of your doll's character, your creativity, your personality--whatever led you to put your boy doll in a dress, or your girl doll in a man's three-piece suit.

It IS, however, still very much taboo for many people, and that may just be a reflection of their upbringing. Either way, it's a personal choice--if you like it, do it; if not, don't. I, personally, am not going to judge someone either way.

18. If you read some reference books, children clothes for a few ceturies are dresses for boys and girls, all the way to about teenage, from teenage on boys has their own thoughts (which you pretty much decided for your boy dolls) so I don't think see why girls can wear pants and guys can't wear dresses. To me it's only a question of what style of fashion you want your doll to wear. I think the most important is dress your doll what you like and want and be happy with it. If people like it it's good, if they don't then too bad for them.

by the way miyarificus you live in League City!? I live in Clear Lake! *^^*

19. It's funny really, because my initial reaction was "WHY would people dress boy dolls up as girls?" And then I started to read the thread and yea.. I mean there IS no difference between dressing a girl up as a tomboy, and a boy as a girl when it comes down to it. As a kid I *always* dressed and acted like a boy. Most people who didn't know me thought I was a boy, too. And it suited me fine. So I suppose that's a sort of crossdressing, too? (oh and for the record, it didn't have anything to do with transgenderness or anything, it was just that I thought boys were cool and could DO things like climb trees ect...)

I have cross-dressers as well as gender benders among my very close friends. Still I wouldn't dress up a boy doll in a skirt personally. I don't really see the appeal in that.. Why not get a girl doll for that? (that's what I plan to do anyway, because let's face it: There IS so much lovely girls wear out there...)

But I see no wrong in posting pictures of it or dressing up dolls in "drag" - and the age thing is ridiculous IMO. Until puberty, boys and girls *look* the same, mostly! So unless you TELL someone that "this is actually a little boy doll but I put him in a dress" - who would ever know?

20. Everything old is new again, right? People remember Beethoven and Van Gogh because they took things to the next level. On the other hand who remembers the creators of all those landscapes of no particular place.
      I agree with your idea-maybe things have been done to death but some new person wants to experience it for themselves.
      A few weeks ago I was looking at those artists dolls-the ones which just stun a person, and I thought, Why don't you see this sort of work in the bjds?
      Why isn't there more daring stuff? In terms of expression and quirky beauty, and even repulsive dolls. Maybe I should rather ask why I don't go that way.
      Oh well. What I really want to know is why I want to buy my Uni girl a pair of white boys briefs...