1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollzone Discussion ~ 60 and 70cm ~ Part VIII

Aug 1, 2018

1. Maybe others will have insight on this...So..I bought the Gene body and I'm kind of baffled.
      First off..these legs..perfectly seated in the knee peanut and they have this severe bow to them..I don't know if they were trying to offset the wing weight or what but he cannot stand at all. He has absolutely no balance. He's really loosely strung so I don't even think it's the result of the tension gradually bending the resin or anything..this is just how this is designed. This is my first 70 cm from DZ so I don't know if the standard boy body is also like this or if this was a design choice specifically for this one. I'm really at a loss why it was designed like this. I'm putting no weight on this foot in the photo I am just holding the leg up. But this is what the legs look like (I don't have a doll stand so I can't get a picture of him just standing, but the bow of the leg looks even more severe when he's just standing normally):
      [​IMG]

Now, the wings. It's been said before and I'll say it again. They are really badly designed. The bottom wings have no weight and yet have no structure at all inside the back groove. They just flop around in the socket despite the fact the tension on those wings is reasonably firm. Maybe it'd get better if they were sueded? But I mean it's REALLY floppy. Anyone who has seen DZ's LuoLuo in person knows what I mean. They're like that.
      The upper wings are fine until you attach the outer piece of them. As soon as you do, even though the back is designed with a groove to hold the wing weight, the outer wing is so heavy that it pops it out of the groove entirely and also flops around. These wings look delicate and I'm very nervous with how they flop around like this that there is absolutely no real structure. The outer wing is held on with a hook and a small piece that fits inside the inner wing. It's designed to fit flush but without forcing it you can't get it to hold. And..the outer wing is so heavy it doesn't want to stay seated inside the inner wing. I get they probably did this for shipping purposes instead of making it a single piece but I have yet to find a way to get it firm enough to actually hold. I'm baffled by this too. I love this body but it's not well designed.

Anyone that has a Gene body can you comment to either of these?

Anyone with a 70 cm DZ doll can you tell me if their legs also do this weird bow?

@Chameleon I know from an earlier post you have a Gene body too, if you have any insight it's appreciated!

#261 akaisha0, May 18, 2019
      Last edited: May 18, 2019
    2. I just took mine out to have a look, and I noticed the leg issue right away. Despite them, I find mine stands pretty well. I tend to position one leg back from the other a bit, and that balances it out. My phone camera has decided it hates me, so no pics yet, but I’ll bring some soon!

As for the lower wings, I think those could be sueded to cooperate. For the upper wings, I’m also going to suede them someday. I can get them up by pushing them back, so more of the groove catches on the notch. Mine did attach seamlessly, but that’s because I used the really tiny s-hooks they included and not the large ones they came with, which I think were just on there so the inner wing-supports stayed strung.

3. I have a much older Raymond on the b70-003 body and his legs are perfectly straight...so I'm not much help. :sweat

4. @Chameleon Thanks! Knowing I'm not alone in the bent legs things is comforting that it's not a defect but intentional? I think my boy just needs to be restrung. With the wings, I'm using the smaller hooks that can pull completely into that inner well inside the wing but the weight of the outer wing is still such that it pops the wing base out of the groove even (both on the back and where the two wings parts connect). I think if your's holds fine, then mine just needs to be more tightly strung. I can't say the two wing pieces fit together the best though..they don't entirely sit flush as is but maybe more tension from the string will help hold it? His arms are reasonably tightly strung and I'm nervous that making this firmer will lead to cracking in the arms. I thought these wings connected to that set of string but maybe I'm mistaken. His legs are loose so if the large wings connect to that full body string I can understand it needing to be firmer. I'll have to investigate.

5. Yeah, a local collector brought Isaac to a meet once, and he is so incredibly bow-legged! She had a hard time making him stand.

I'm also gonna drop an image of Emily, my DZ April.
      [​IMG]
      She decided to go gothic lolita in her outfit, rather than Mori. The dress is a stretchy MSD sized one with lacing in the back, which is the only reason I think she fit in it...

6. Yeah. It sounds like he needs restringing. I can’t recall how the wings are strung, but mine are so tight you can barely pull them a couple cm off the body, and they pose reasonably. I think once I suede the bottom set they should be perfect. I can get a picture of the joint between pieces of the upper wing of you like, so we can see if there’s something different about yours as well, but it sounds like they’re just a little loose, maybe?

7. I have a Gene that I ordered as soon as he was released. He has never left his box aside from me getting him dressed. He is so tightly strung that I was never able to get his wings put together and I have no room to display him so he's stayed in the box. I never noticed his leg issue but it wouldn't surprise me.

8. Silfe is on the old 68cm body and his legs are badly bowed. He can stand ok, but could use restringing. Actually, these days sitting upright is his big challenge. So he usually prefers to lounge very sexily instead...

[​IMG]

9. IzabethS, your girl is very pretty.:aheartbea

Redfaery, Silfe is so gorgeous, he can lounge around my house any time! :aheartbea:drool

10. Lounging around being all sexy is never a bad thing ;)

11. I finally gave my Raymond a faceup! :cheerIts my 2nd time to do a faceup, what do you think? [​IMG]

12. Oh! Somehow I thought I had subscribed to this thread, but I'm glad I saw it today and the leg issue question was at the top of the page! I have a Raymond with the B70-004 body and the legs are weirdly bowed just like on the Gene above. I am embarrassed to say that I have been wondering the whole time since I got him if the legs are just sculpted that way or if they were warped somehow when he was made. :blush

Well, that is a long standing question I've had answered, so thank you for asking @akaisha0 :hug:
      I guess he is just sculpted that way. It's really hard to see from the promo photos for the body. I tried staring at them in all directions and I had to assume it was a sculpting choice in the end..er, though a bit of a weird sculpting choice. My guy also stands quite easily, so I've mostly just shrugged it off at this point. I hope stringing your Gene tighter helps your guy pose!

13. Thank you!

14. He looks lovely @Mona_Amin!! My second face up wasn't that good, haha! I look forward to seeing how you will get even better

15. Oh thank you!! :love

16. Just saying it as it is!

This was my second or third face up:
      [​IMG]
      Val has gone through quite a few changes since then (he's on his 5th face up now)

17. Hahaha my first, like, 20 faceups were horrible. That's a great 2nd faceup @Mona_Amin

I haven't shown off my Leslie recently, so here is Talon.

[​IMG]

18. Oh thank you!
      And Talon is hot :love

19. @Mona_Amin - That's a gorgeous second attempt at a face up! :D He's so beautiful!

@IzabethS - Ooh are those head wings Val's or was he just modelling them at the time?

@Redfaery - Talon's looking very handsome with his hair and robes like that. <3