1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DollZone Introduces 70cm Dolls

Jun 27, 2006

1. I was wondering about that too--but I couldn't find that English page saying it was patented. On the other hand, if the DZ bodydoesn't have the joint-sheets/gel-bits, I'm sure there will be quibbling about whether or not it falls under violation of the patent...which by now, I'm assuming, probably isn't pending anymore.

SD16 is not the only doll to have double elbow joints--SDC have it too, and so do the male Dollshe dolls, and probably a few others I can't think of right now--but at the moment the remarkable similarity does not add points in favor of originality. Also, the more I look at the first picture i9i9 posted, the more I'm convinced that the legs are the same, just with some extra length sculpted on. The thigh-joints and grooves and also the knees look exactly the same.

I'm not so sure about the body being a direct recast or mod, but...well, combined with the other things that were (to my mind) unquestionably stolen from the SD16, even if it wasn't a direct recast, it's still a copy. ¬.¬

Has the DZ body actually been released yet anywhere? Because if these aren't owner photos but are DZ-company photos, then I'd find it especially damning that they show the doll posing with an SD16 like that.

Thanks for posting more pics, btw, i9i9. ;)

2. the DZ torso also has a longer, narrower abdomen, narrower ribcage with more visable ribs, a differently shaped navel, a deeper diaphragm, and completely differently shaped pecs and neck. AND he's obviously circumcised, while i'd make no such judgment on Yukinojo. just to begin with.

if the body was a copy, why on earth would they show it posing with an SD16 at all?

for heaven's sake. :roll:

3. Maybe showing that it's too alike the SD16, and that they need to Do something about it?

But Pah, It's the only the body which I'm not getting anyways......

4. Hmmm... I've been compairing these bodies for a while now. I would say that this sculpt is not a modified Yukinojo, but is inspird by. The toes are different, as the dollzone's toes seem more clenched. The dollzone's male part is quite different in shape, slimmer, slightly hourglass-shaped, with a more detailed tip. The dollzone's knees seem to close far more flush, and arc a bit higher. The dollzone's hips are less detailed, and seem wider. The center part is very different, in both muscle and bellybutton details. Likewise, the chest is very different, with the rib details and pectoral muscles. The neck muscles and clavical are also extremely different. His shoulder sheaths seem mote like CP than Yukinojo's.

Well, this is just my opinion anyway... I can't say for sure without seeing them personally, but I would say that the DZ body is not a direct copy.

5. In my opinion, I think the bodies look similar, but not close enough to warrant calling it a copy. Like alasandalack said, the torso is shaped alot different, even if the legs are alot alike. And quoting that there were problems with the body doesn't mean it has anything to do with these similarities.

I know Dollzone had some issues with CP in the past, but they turned around and produced their MSD-sized dolls, with both great success and originality. Also, keep in mind that these are preliminary photos, not a finished product.

At any rate, I really like Dollzone facial sculpts and these have not dissappointed. :love

6. Are there any good, clear comparisons of the hand and feet sculpts?

7. Here's where I got the pics from(http://dzdollclub.getbbs.com/index.aspx), sorry I didn't post it with the pics in the first place... It looks like DollZone posted those photos. Don't quote me on this, but I think they posted those pics to show that the new 1/3 Dollzone body is an original one and very different from SD16, but again, it's just my understanding of that post.

Edited to fix the link.

8. :6 Eh, for me I think it's okay that Volks was informed about this body with similarities. But I think I'd rather not hear accusations/speculation until not only does Volks take action, but a court decides in favor of them.

Until then my wallet breathes a sigh of relief that I'm not so interested in the two big boys so far.

9. I agree, until the court rules that it's an illegitimate copy....meh, I couldn't care less. And if Volks had their way, they'd be the only BJD company out there, so... *shrug*

70cm dolls intimidate me a little, anyway. Too tall + skinny, all of 'em ^^; And I've got my b-day present for this year already :-) I just wouldn't discourage anybody who likes them, because unproven accusations aren't my thing. Now to see what Volks says/does *waits*

10. I think the dolls are different, but I admit to liking the Dollzone better (if I am correct in my assumption that the whiter doll wih a "face" is the DollZone). Bodies are going to look similar. Breasts in the same places on most people. Etc. There are obvious differences, based off the pictures shown. The torso is more realistic on the whiter doll. No large gaps or oddly placed nipples. Also, the resin isn't as plastic-like. Some of those shots had the other body looking quite shiny. Overall, I'd say the whiter doll was more ascetically pleasing. Other people have pointed out other differences, so I won't list them all. I'm just more likely to buy the whiter doll than the censored-face ones.

Also, I love the heads. They're quite lovely. Especially with the larger noses. <3 XD

11. What I see (and lest just put it out right here that I am not a Volks eletist or a Dollzone supporter, just a doll fan looking at two male doll bodies.) It is Obviously not a re-cast of one of Volks bodies that much is certian. Are their very major simmilaities in the sculpting of the joints? Yes. Its like when a aritst learing how to draw takes a pose in the pictures, coppys not by tracing and recreats the picture in their own hand. Coppyright infrigment? Nope, cant be got for that unless the joints are found to be carbon-casted coppys of the Volks boys. Least I don't think so, but Im no lawayer.

Is it right? Not my place to say. But the body is a sculpt thats original, with its idea taken form Volks SD 16.

Thats what I see.

12. Well said!
      However I think I'll hold off anymore comments least it's starts an argument.

13. Thanks!

I have no personal comments to make, just wanted to give a semi-outsiders view. *hides from the flames*

14. In the very least, it is nice to see a more mature looking tall boy (or man?) that isn't rail thin. I love the unusual face and height.

15. OMG!! That second face is gorgeous! I love the seriousness of it. I've been looking for one like that.

16. I can't believe this fuss... Almost every Doll body has similarities, and this naturally has too.
      The body is gorgeous, I like it so much, and I hope they won't change it too much. Bah, I wants it... >D

17. This has to be the most intelligent thing I've heard on the issue so far. I've heard both pro DZ and anti DZ arguments, we need to be neutral in our views until we have hard evidence that there is a problem (not just "look at the pic he's sooo a copy ect"). If it turns out that they are copies then I simply won't buy one. Until there is proof I just don't care.
      I like DZ and I like the moulds. I can't see a place for a 1/3 boy in my family just yet, but if I find a home for one, it would have to be the elf :aheartbea

18. Oh my god! We have six dolls in our house by different companies and they all have the same kind of shoulder joints! They must be copies of eachother!

Obviously, there are only so many ways that you can joint a doll and still have working joints. Companies and Artists, and really anyone who does anything find insperation in what their peers do. It doesn't mean something is a copy. Frankly, if they sculpted it themselves, even if it has similarities to some other forms of doll, it's still an original. It's not like someone stole a mold or cast a new mold off of one of another companies originals. THAT has happened in the model horse world (my other collecting love). It was persued and settled however no one runs around screaming "Oh, they made a quarter horse too and they are both standing so it must be a copy!"

19. I know that what I say is not going to change anybody's mind on the matter. If you want this doll fine, you chose it. it's your issue.

I've looked hard at a few pics.

it's struck me that the differences between SD16 and DZ 1/3 are superficial ones, eg the chest is sanded down greatly, the middle joint is lengthened, the joints have been simplified. My first impression is, tut tut DZ you aren't covering your tracks so well. with the minis, they did a good job at modifying them enough and giving them such horrible proportions that you couldn't be blamed for thinking they were orginal. they certainly don't look like real BJDs. but with the 1/3s, they seem to have been lazy with the modifications. they should have tried harder to make them look different. I suppose they have the characteristicly ugly DZ faces. I presume they were sculpted from scratch.

whats that brown crap on the SD16 body?

stealing is wrong.