1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

DollZone Moment and Anson discussion part 1

Oct 14, 2011

1. i did get eyes - he came with very lovely blue glass eyes, but i took them out when i strung him because the stems of the eyes got in the way - his head is actually quite small (without the flower part i wouldn't be surprised if he took a 6.5 to 7 inch wig - it's a lot smaller than a "normal" dollzone mini head)

i also think he may need his eyes beveled out slightly more.

i also did a photoshoot of him today - http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?491102-aphelion-(nudity-dollzone-moment)

2. Stringing really isn't that hard, especially if you have the right tools. I unstrung and restrung my first doll the second day I had him just to get it over with and was worried for nothing.

3. i ordered mine in white, he just looks darker because i have bad lighting in my apartment :sweat

and all you need to do to string is just the arms - but the head is held on by a large s-hook and the inside of his head is quite small.

the back of his head and "ears" will fall off easily too - they're only held on by weak magnets and i'm trying to figure out how to better secure them... so definitely be careful with them! i've had the back of his head fall off several times just from turning his head ever so slightly.

i'm planning on having my boy sit most of the time because even with a stand for him, i'm not sure how stable he is because he is very top heavy.

4. Are the magnets small or just weak? You could try replacing them with some rare earth magnets.

5. That makes me feel better that all we have to string is the arms. It does worry me the head pieces are falling off. I wonder if the pieces are so heavy that any magnet wouldn't work. Maybe they should have used larger magnets. Anyways I think mine will be staying in one place mostly and I will make sure I am careful when carrying her around that her head pieces don't fall off. We wouldn't want them breaking. I have tile floor in the kitchens and bathrooms and that would break them for sure.

I think the people that already have their dolls should e-mail DZ and tell them about this problem. Maybe they could find a solution and send new magnets for the people that already have their dolls and fix the problem for the people that don't have their dolls. It does sound like there should be a solution. I don't want my doll dropping body parts as we walk. I think I will do like darkmothflame and have mine sit. Maybe I should look for a really nice lounge chair for her. I do already have a nice formal chair like a dinning room chair with arms and that could work as well.

6. the magnets are both small and weak and i'm trying to figure out if i can get them out to replace with other ones or not....

as to the body - it's really no different than any other body (well, other than beautifully sculpted! ) it poses pretty well (the arm petals do have their own limitations though). it might not be super flexible like an active line mini-fee, but i think it moves really well ^^

7. not meaning to double post, but i've started work on the marbling for my boy.... i had intended to do a black/white marble for him but when he arrived i felt like he needed to be a blonde or gold marble instead.

it's very subtle right now and i intend to go back with some water color pencils to create the more definitive cracks.

(believe it or not, this is already after about 3.5 hours of work..... i expect several weeks to finish this guy)
      [​IMG]

8. I wouldn't mind the eyes a little more open, not too much, but would never attempt it myself and I don't want it enough to spend the money to have an expert do it. The head would be so expensive to replace if it was ruined. (don't know if we could replace just the head) I am looking forward to blushing it but I will need to buy that sparkly stuff. Volks has SHINE PEARL, would that be the stuff? I have regular pastel chalk and also some sparkly stuff from Luts but it is the wrong colour. I have never used it though. I don't usually do my own dolls but I want to try with this one. If it turns out ugly I can always send it away to an expert. I probably should have had Dollzone do it but I have never been impressed with their painting. It is not bad but not exceptional either on the dolls I have that they did. It seems like they don't take the time to do extra things but the painting they do do isn't bad. This is just my opinion, I like detailed colourful, very well done faceups. You know the people that you can never get to do your dolls what with long waiting lists.

9. Er...I stalk the thread lol but have no plans for these guys yet only because I have a bunch of incoming dolls including a Jeremey.

As for eye opening, they are one ofthe easiest mods provided the original sculpt doesn have crazy eyelids which cam look weird if the eye opening isn't done right. I've opened eyes once and it was super easy the first time. Granted I sculpt and whatnot so it wasn't something I was unused to. The eyeshapes for moment and anson are very easy to open since they don't have deep pronounced eyelids.

PoeticSoul- yes that's the stuff. You need to mix it with clear varnish to get the shimmery design they have on the default. You can also use pearl ex powders. Same thing and more colors.

10. Hey everyone! I am need in some help, could someone with Moment please measures their boy and see what the measurements are? I'm mostly interested in the Height without head, shoulders width and neck size! I'm considering buying this body and doing a hybrid, but the measurements of the doll itself and the measurements of the body conflict with each other...Thank you for any help!

EDIT:
      Comparison with MNF or other MSDs would be awesome as well <3

11. Invie - it was me that was asking about those powders for painting. The ones by Volks come in the little bottles called ZM Shine Pearl. I had thought I could just put some of it on by itself for the body and add it to varnish for the lips and that curly line under the eyes. Are you saying that they have added varnish to the whole thing for the whole body? I looked again and you may be right. I won't be doing that if it is that way. I think I may do her a little more subtle than what they did. Now what do you mean by "ex powders". What is the brand and where do I get it? I just don't know a whole lot about this. By the way I looked at your profile after you said this and saw the faces you and done and they are awesome. Very impressed by the eyebrows. I am always impressed by anyone who can do good eyebrows. There sure are some talented people here in this thread. I am glad I am getting my Anson after everyone and not first. I need to learn a little from you guys. I am not saying I am totally hopeless but just don't have the experience you all here have.

12. Hi!

Ah for the pearly sheen on the body blushing they got, they achieve that by airbrushing very fine pearly powder mixed with paint. It's really hard to achieve that same look without airbrush. You can try burnishing the pearl powder into the skin (rubbing it in with soft rag or a brush) and spraying with MSC. Repeat until you have the desired pearliness. This can work to get a similar pearly body look but it might take a lot of layers. I've only done it a little to get a bit of glow but not that kind of pearly sheen.

I don't own the Volks brand powders, but the pearliness works best if the powder is super fine.

For Pearl ex powders look here at utrecht art.

I own the 32 color set and the variety is great to work with.

You can dust it on and spray with MSC for more subtle look or you can mix with varnish and paint it on for a denser effect. Whether it is pearly or sparkly depends on the powder you use and they have a mix in the sets.

I hope that helps

EDIT: Also notice that the pearly parts of the body are not matt. When you spray the matt MSC on the body it dulls the pearl down. You can purchase MSC in satin (in between gloss and matt) from hobby stores online but most doll places that carry MSC carry the matt variety. Sometimes I like the doll less matt and will use the satin on top of the UV cut.

13. Invie - I went to that place you linked me to and the larger set and one of the smaller sets were on back order. So I did some searching and found a store in my city, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. One place had the big sets at $79.95 so more than the web but another place didn't sell them in sets but had them individually at $2.75 each. I can go there and then pick out what I want. They said they had 40 different colours. I will do that maybe tomorrow. I am so excited now. I wish Anson was here now but it hasn't been that long for me. I must be patient which isn't easy for me. It is nice people are starting to get their Anson and Moment though.

14. Lol, Shashy, I'm glad I could help. For me I was interested in garage kits before dolls so I read a lot about painting and getting different effects. I also tried it out on my own faceups. I don't own an airbrush either but my friend is letting me learn on his when I have time.

I wont be getting moment and anson but I really like how they look. I just don't have the room for them. I will be getting Jeremey tho so I will be using a lot of pearl ex on him lol.

If you want anson or moment pearly all over you can completely coat him/her with the pearl powder mixed with clear varnish. Some ppl might do that.

15. Thanks for the pearl ex tips Invie! I have some already and am glad I can just rub them on with my fingers and not have to use the varnish. I'll just use MSC to seal it (matt finish).

I'm going to use stencils so I can mix the pearl ex and chalk pastels together. I'll have to do some experimenting during the wait. Oh, and would you know of a good brand of chalk pastels that won't fade with MSC? I have a great set, but the colors do fade the next day after using MSC. Not really bad, but noticeable. Maybe I just need to do an extra blush and seal again?

16. Well, I went shopping today and bought 18 different pearl ex colours waiting for my Anson to come. Found them at an art store here in little bottles. They had 40 different ones and I managed to get just 18. My husband was with me and if he wasn't I probably would have come home with about 30. They are so pretty. I probably could have got about 6 and had enough. I think I will paint my DZ Deer girl who came with bare unpainted legs which was a surprise because DZ showed them painted. It will be practice for Anson. I am thinking I will do the pastel method and then put this pearl ex on top. Not sure. That bottle of paint stripper will probably be well used to redo and redo. It will keep me entertained until Anson comes. Now I am planning on opening the bottles and see what I have. They look like they are 1/4 full. Should be a fun evening. (I must be easily amused. I love painting and fabric supplies)

17. I was hoping the only Moment owner could help with me with the measurements, but I guess no luck! Doll-zone does sell the body seperately - as shown here. And as I mentioned before, the measurements of the full doll and body differs from each other, so that's why I'm asking for someone with the doll to kindly provide me with the exact measurements. :sweat

Measurement for the full Moment doll from DZ:
      Height(Including head):53.5cm (not including head):40cm
      Neck size: 7.4cm
      Shoulder width: 7cm

Measurement for the body only from DZ:
      Height:46cm
      Width:7cm
      Neck:7cm

So is the body 40cm or 46cm without the head?
      And is the neck 7cm or 7.4cm?? I'm confused.

18. okay, i got moment's measurements:

height without head - 39.5cm
      neck - 8cm
      waist - 15.5cm
      hip to ankle (outer leg) - 24cm
      crotch to ankle (inner leg) - 20cm
      neck to crotch - 14cm
      chest - 17.5 cm
      thigh - 12 cm
      ankle - 8.5 cm
      foot length - 6cm

let me know if anything else is needed