1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollzone returns?

Feb 11, 2006

1. Some of us are more opionionated than others...
      Having said that, I have no problem with this company and I would buy one myself if I wanted (but I don't -_-)

2. I really really like the headmold of one of the new boy dolls. But I'm kinda hesitant about getting him for two reasons: 1) The resin quality may not be up to snuff, according to some of the previous history of this company. 2) It sounds a bit as if I would be ostracized for having him...:atremblin

~Tara

3. I think you should only worry about the resin quality.

I for one would not complain about someone owning one of their dolls, becuase for me, once your boy is home he's yours and a seperate entity to the company that made him.

However, if these dolls *are* proven to be copied (and I REALLY DON'T think these new ones are) then I would be a bit weary of someone buying them, full in the knowledge that they were not legal.

But as I have already said- I don't think these ones are copied. If you like 'em, get 'em! ^_^

4. I certainly wouldn't trust or support this company based on thier past history.

5. Why not give them a second chance? We don't know everything about them or about what happened with the copying of the Woori head, and I think that it's safe to assume after such a large scandal that caused them to stop selling dolls, they would know better now than to try the same tactic again.

I think they're trustworthy enough, if they have the guts to come back with the same name as they have. They could've changed their name, they could've started a new company, but they didn't and I think that shows a good deal of character in their favor.

6. If I know someone is a thief, I won't trust them around my money or things. I will keep a sharp eye on them.

If I see a store sell bootlegged copies of anime soundtracks, and then see them selling really cheap DVDs of anime and other merchandise that is stamped with something other than "made in Japan" I will assume those are also bootlegs. Even though the company does't "make" the bootlegs, when you know they've been kicked out of conventions for selling bootlegs at thier tables, and still sell the same items online a year later, that yes the company knows they are selling bootlegs.

I know its hard to shop responsibly and ethically, considering almost every company does something that won't mesh with a person's personal beliefs. However, there are certain things that each person holds as "non-negotiable". This company has certainly profited from selling bootlegs, I don't think anyone denies that. I wouldn't want to support them.

7. Well, I also doubt they don't do the wrong behavior again, but I more worry about a second DZ.
      If people easily forgive them this time, how can they sure there won't be anouther company cheating with dolls?
      They can think copying other dolls is not so bad.
      Making one doll mold isn't same to making a dress or other stuff... They can practice molding process with less risk and less money, unless they might pay lots of money to artists for the archetypes of dolls. If they could make the molds by themselves, there is no reason why they copy from other companies.
      And if they were lucky, they could make money.
      Even if people get to know, they also ask people to give a second chance with new dolls....

Do I go too far?

8. although I can't understand how people could stand up for DZ (I have discussed this with my friend in China about a month ago and we both thought no one here would stand up for them) I would never resent someone for owning one of these dolls, as I've said already

I don't think anyone would hold it against them, so please don't worry! we are a verey understanding community here on the whole

9. You shouldn't worry about being ostracized. If somebody harasses you or makes you feel bad over owning a doll, clearly they are the one with a problem.

Seriously, please don't make your decision based on what a bunch of strangers online think or don't think! You decide for yourself whether you want to buy this doll or not, or whether you think it's right to support Dollzone or not. I'm sure even people who disagree with your decision will be supportive of your choice. ^^

If you think about it, everyone in the world has differing opinions on ethics. Several of my friends, for example, are strict vegetarians for their moral/religious beliefs, but it doesn't mean they ostracize all the other people who eat meat.

Although I'm not interested in Dollzone's dolls, I just wanted to say that I totally support anyone who decides to buy from them. :)

(Also, about the resin - for this price, you could afford to discard the body and just keep the head and put it on another body.)

10. Do Not worry about the resin quality :aheartbea
      I have my Xi sitting faceless beside me - he arrived this morning
      and the quality is ...well just brillient ...after seeing comparison pictures posted
      I just dont think he is a copy
      especially now I have him here
      I will give you a review on the boy I have sitting before me
      the resin is lovely , I bought the white one ...
      he came in a pink box well wrapped
      with a black acrylic fur wig ...and cool purple eyes
      there are no posing issues I can see , he is finished off beautifully , no seams
      and strung very well ,there are no miss matched joints ,he is quite tall and slender
      he sits beautifully and stands quite easily,I am waiting for my camera to charge up so I can take pictures
      if you don't mind him without a face , his head isnt as large as it looks in the picture
      are there any faults ?...his hands are a little large ....but I like large hands so that's OK
      he is just a very well priced boy and a good quality doll too
      and I like him :aheartbea

11. Thank you :)

I was waiting for other owner pics and oppinions, since my friend has decided to remain anonymous.

12. Oooh, yay! Please post pictures as soon as you get your camera! And thank you so much for the review. ^_^

13. Very well said. I really like the boys I've seen, and I think I'm probably going to get one. I think it's really brave of them to come back under the same name, and to post on this forum. If they're really trying to change and create original dolls, I think they deserve a second chance. I just hope people who buy these dolls are not attacked for it.

14. but it didn't stop them selling dolls- they still had a huge market in China. so if they really have changed, they did it without that incentive (wow I'm actually standing up for them)

you say we don't know what happened but I'm telling you, in China people didn't care the doll was copied, and they got mad when DZ started charging more for better resin.

If you seriously don't believe me, find a BJD collecter from China, ask them yourself

15. I believe you :sweat and I didn't know that part of things. It's always good to get perspective and hear different sides of it; I don't know Chinese or talk to Chinese collectors so I had no idea about what you've told me. It's good to know the full story behind things, thank you very much for sharing.

But your words sort of back up their cause in a way? Changing and coming back to the same international market that completely rejected them/shot them down does speak in their favor. Especially when they apparently had a decent market in China that more likely than not would've supported them. Not to mention that if some of the things they did in order to appeal to the other market upset their base market, they were in danger of losing a lot of profit if they were not accepted by the international market. Thus, doing the same copying again would've been a risk on top of risk for them and without a doubt not a smart decision.

16. I hate copies-usually they're modded in such a way they appear distorted. Its like having surgery to have your nose made smaller...then realising your big nose kinda went with your face shape, colouring etc and now you look weird...
      Modded dolls...something about these rip-offs jarrs me a bit, aesthetically..the Dollzone face-ups actually shown don't seem to competent either, and the wigs certainly aren't their own brand. The fact they dont even have their own brand of eyes (using DOD's for some auctions Ive seen) speaks volumes-if they're a starte company who can't afford to craft these things, the price would have been higher to start with!
      I'd be willing to give them a chance...but that 'Woori' picture comparison put me right off.
      I mean, what are the odds of not only your sculpt resembling another doll, but having the exact proportions down to the last millimetre of detail? If I were to try to hand-sculpt an Yder, sure it would resemble him, but it would still be different as no human being can copy to that extent...if I were to cast him, that would be illegal. Which is what Dollzone appears to have done.
      The knee-joints and clumsy hands are just more proof. I might attempt to cast a doll to make her 'twin' or a slightly modded head/hands, but I would NEVER sell it on claiming it is my own original design!

Has anyone contacted Luts or Volks about this, and asked for an explanation? If they are a legit company, Volks and Luts will have heard of them and be aware of their products (competition, and all that)

The price just says it all...cheap knock-offs in inferior quality resin of someone elses design, with a dodgy face-up. Instead of a company that designs and hand-crafts its maquettes and designs, I get an image of some guys in a warehouse somwehre buying up dolls to cast, and slopping resins into moulds...
      The dolls they cast from ARE lovely, but I would personally feel safer with an original....thats not to say anyone who owns these dolls has been conned. Your doll is your doll. If he/she hasnt crumbled and gives you countless hours of joy, thats your gain.

However, cheap dolls indicate not just cheap materials, but cheap labour....and Im wondering how this company fuctions. I dont think I could look at a Dollzone MSD with as much love if I could imagine quite clearly a young eastern child sanding down seams for a few pence an hour. That child means more to me than a bargain basement doll.

17. I disagree that the "copying issue" has been resolved. While the pics posted do apear to be the same doll, neither CP or Luts has ever come out and said yes this is a copy of our doll. If this doll was a copy of their doll, why would they hesitate to let DOA know about it? There have been many people saying the dolls in RL don't look the same.

Personally I don't give a darn either way as I'm not getting another doll. But I think that it is jumping the gun to say that they are copies, when the company that everyone is saying made the original doll hasn't said they were copied.

btw, don't jump in my face with "anyone looking at that pic would see they are copies" Since there has been alot of discussion disputing that, it is obvious that not everyone clearly sees that they are the same doll. Heck, to me the knee joints look identical to my Dollfie Dream, and I'm pretty sure they didn't copy her knees.

So I say again. If these are "obviously" copies It should be a simple matter for Luts or CP to confirm it.

semirans

18. We're not THAT bitchy, lol!
      If you DO buy a DZ doll, make sure the transaction is safe, of course-then tell us what you think! Let us know about the quality of his/her resin, the face-up, posing etc...we won't attack you for LIKING the doll. Hell, some of them are cute, its just WHY they're cute thats causing an issue (copied parts).

Please, if you buy a DZ doll, be sure to post plenty of pics so we can all see if they have changed their ways and started producing higher-grade dolls. :)

19. I posted my first pictures of Xi in the mini section
      I dont want to put him in the gallery yet , he isnt dressed and has no face-up
      I can honestly say he is lovely and quality is superb ,

Raven posted pictures of her boy next to Volks and Luts .... and they are all different

I bought my boy of Ebay , he was with me within a week ,
      I wish I wasnt so busy right now I would love to get him finished , face-up and clothes
      as it is he is like a pale beautiful ghost

as mentioned in the earlier message , I think the company have realised , if you want to get into the international marked , you have to have quality , and orriginality

I would have no problem buying another ...I love Yi ...bit Im so broke now LOL

20. I just ordered a Xi, I really think he's cute, and I'm excited to get him.