1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Domuya Secret Project Nightmare Discussion

Feb 14, 2010

1. .5 as in 1/2... He's about 14 and a half hands high....I'm lazy that way.

conversion and horse measurement link...The Cowboy Way...since I'm a natural born Texan.
      http://www.cowboyway.com/HowTo/HorseHeight.htm

2. Thank you all for all the interest on "Nightmare", I think i will do a second FAQ, to clear up some "hang in the air" questions:)

Q: On the site it says that Nightmare has 15 moveable joints. Does the horse have a one piece body?

- Nightmare has a 3 pieces body, they are not included in the "moveable" category. They are separated but not moveable. They are use for future customization:) (smell Pegasus?)

Q: Mane on "Nightmare" ?

- As of the final prototype of "Nightmare", there is no changable mane (he is bold:P), mane was left out due to the neck armor. But we are still seeking possibility of putting it in in the final "nightmare"(no promise though), D-1 Companion will definitely have changeable mane.

Q: they say there will be only 66 horses nightmare but what happens if more than 66 people who bought the flexi star package -with discount for the horse- wanna buy it?
      the discount for the horse will be applied also on a "basic" horse, since after 66 there will be no more nightmare horses?

- Yes, "Nightmare" is only limited to 66pcs, we do wanted to make more, but due to the extremely labor intensive making process (10-15per month), we dare not accept more than 66 pieces, we would not want to have a waiting period which stretch into 6 months... We understand there is more than 66 coupons floating around at this moment, thus, "Nightmare" will be on the first come first serve basis:doh Coupon is good for "Nightmare" package with an expiry date of 15th March, they are not usable on D-1 Companion.

Q: what is the weight without full armor?

- I can't give an exact figure now. Once I am back to office after the holiday break, I will put him on the weighing scale! But from my estimation now ,he is approximately 6-8kg?

Q: I wonder where the 15th movable joint is on Nightmare. I'm guessing 3 joints per leg, and 2 joints on the neck and head, so where would there be a 15th one?
      3 (ankle, 'knee', 'shoulder') x 4 Legs + lower neck + upper neck + ? = 15.

- 2 joints on neck (lower + mid), 1 joints for head. Hehe, you are pretty close:) Mid neck joint is for lowering the head even further and making the pose more natural. Other than 15 movable joints, there are another 2 non moveable joints on the torso, 1 more on each hoof(4 in total).

Q: Armor is made of light plastic?

- All Armor, inclusive of those from Dirge of Glory series are made by the same Resin as all D1 Dolls. Plastic are too fragile and crack easily :P

3. This potentially looks like an extremely interesting idea. My one big question is...any chance of makng a centaur with that body?

4. That would be an interesting idea indeed. I wouldn't hesitate a second (not that I have hesitated much on the nightmare either).:sweat
      With Domuya reading this thread, I'm probably already doomed... :nowords:

5. It's nice to read all these opinions about scales but I think in the BJD world scales are very difficult to be taken seriously... I mean, how many people have 1/4 dolls acting as teenagers along with 1/3 acting as adults when we all know teenagers can be as tall as adults or even more? (My 16 years old nephew is 1,95 meters tall while some of my adult friends are only 1,50).

I supose than while Nightmare looks nice in pictures, that's OK. After all (and I think PamSD is an expert here, I'm a fan of her works) American Girl horses have been used as SD sized horses and we all agree they're a bit on the small side but they look really well. If the package is still available when "naked" pictures of the horse are released, I'm going to use my discount coupon and get one, even if I'm still figuring where the hell will I keep such a big thing (size matters after all, and I wonder if an accurate scale horse wouldn't be too big)

6. An armored big cat (tiger or a muscular leopard) would SLAY me . . . that would push ALL my collector buttons at once and cause my wallet to spontaneously combust!!

(Why, yes, I *did* own He-Man's "Battlecat" as a child, hehe! And I love the Stan Winston "Realm of the Claw" series . . . and I have a positive sickness for cat-themed dolls!)

-- A :kitty2

7. So has anyone thought of a place where we can all talk about Nightmare when and if DoA decides it's off topic?

My husband and I just ordered ours by the way :D My guess is, since so many people are waiting to see the naked/updated pictures of Nightmare, there may be a flood of sales and a quick sell-out once people see it for themselves... maybe, maybe not, but I'm not taking the chance with only 66 copies being sold.

Love that armor... that's what sold it for us <3

8. Affinite -- I'd suggest starting a community on LiveJournal, that's the quickest/easiest/best way to keep in touch in my experience.

I am HOPING that the discussion thread will be allowed to continue with Nightmare being considered a doll "accessory" (the same way that threads are allowed to discuss clothing releases, etc.), even if Nightmare can't be posted in the Gallery without an on-topic BJD.

-- A <3

9. Thank you for all the interest on "Nightmare". Though we hope that "Nightmare" can be an On Topic in DoA, as we wish to share with everyone our hard work and love reading all the opinions (be it good or bad), but we respect the rules and regulations on DoA as well as all the hard work from all the moderators.

IF, and i mean only IF, "Nightmare" is going to be an Off Topic *fingers cross*, we wish to continue receive inputs. Thus it might be useful if the discussion can be continue at Domuya FaceBook Fans Page.
      http://www.facebook.com/domuya

10. Thank you for the link. BTW, I've pm'd & e'd you about my order - just wanted to make sure you got my message :)

11. We have uploaded 2 pictures of the Naked "Nightmare" in our product detail page, please check out our site :)

12. I think he looks very lovely "naked":

[​IMG]

Not something I can afford for now, and I'll be much more interested when manes can be given to the horses, but I'm really excited about the release of a beautiful looking ball-jointed horse. :3

13. I'm really excited about the customization possibilities of this horse!

14. I can't get the site to load for some reason. It must be getting lots of activity!
      *paces with anticipation*

15. Boy am I glad I didn't order...no offence to those who like him but...*shudder*...he looks like a greyhound not a horse. Neck too long...torso too thin.

Too bad...someday someone will get it right.

edit: I do want to say that I applaud the effort. Each attempt at a horse by these companies sees improvement...this is just another example of how HARD horses ar to animate, draw and sculpt.

16. I'm afraid I have to agree with Pam. Not my cuppa either.

17. Hmm. Got to agree. Looks really odd and too thin. Good thing we ordered Nightmare for the armor! No way he was gonna sit around Naked for very long in this house haha.

18. Hm. The overall shape is definitely an improvement over Souldoll's effort. At least it looks like a horse. The detailing is not so good, though, particularly the feathering. And the body is too thin and tense-looking. And I could have done with some ribs there. However, if there were to be a centaur based on that body in the future, I would buy it. And I couldn't bring myself to buy Chiron because of the bizarre horse body. So that it progress of some sort, I guess.

Are there any "action" shots of this, to show how it poses? I can't get the site to load either.

19. No pictures of the horse posed for action, the second photo shows the head lowered and one foreleg raised:

[​IMG]

It's tawny looking, but I agree with MadameMauMau, at least it looks like a horse (and this gives hope for some better centaur(s) in the future).
      I guess I will have it in armour most of the time anyway, still I would be interested in how they are to fix the mane to the neck in the future.

20. Dear all,
      Thank you very much for all the feedback on the "Naked Nightmare" :) Especially all the feedback from the real life horse experts :thumbup

We have to agree that our naked "Nightmare" is a bit on the slim side. It is because when we develop D1 Companion, our intention is to have the interactive play between our D1-60s and our companion. This final prototype is actually our 3rd attempt in the past 10 months.

I remembered from the 2nd prototype, we faced difficulty having a doll riding on it :sweat (the horse back is too wide). If you take a look at all your BJDs, their inner thighs form a V-shape whereas as a human, ours are able to form a U-shape while riding. Also, the distance of how wide it can open while riding without looking weird can be quite restrictive while developing.
      And when donning the complete armor on, it looks like a fortress :doh thus we decided to shave some meat off it, haha :lol:

Coming to details on muscle and body tone, we have decided to adopt a "medium" setting, so that future expansions are more possible. Warhorse figure (broad shoulder, short and strong legs) with a horn still doesn't look like an unicorn, hehe.

One possible direction I can think of right now is to release another "real/proper scale" D-1 Companion, so that we can take care of everyone's needs :), while we still keep the "Nightmare" build alive. All future Armor set will only be made according to "Nightmare" build, and the rest of the expansion, it will be available on both "Nightmare" build and "real" build. What do you think ?

(In view of Armors, after going through 3 prototype, I think "Nightmare" build will be more suitable for armor development and provide us more room to play with :))

Last but not least, we have uploaded some "action" pics on our site.

Jacky Kho
      Domuya

p.s. please keep feedback coming, be it positive or negative, it really help us making a better BJD that everyone is after :)