1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't be embarrassed!

Feb 11, 2007

1. Amen! I'm 24 (Okay, I know not THAT old, but yeah) and some people can be like 'Don't you think you're a little old to be playing with dolls?" >3 That when you ask them if they'd give their 4 year old a 700$ doll...XD that shuts them up. Really, it IS more of an 'adult' hobby, I think, because really only people with jobs can afford them, unless you're young and have parents in similar hobbies, or just accept your interests as-is. My mom is like 'whatever, as long as you can pay your bills' but my friend's mom begs her to sell hers all the time.

2. Why pay so much money for something you're gonna be embarassed about? xD

3. *loves this thread ^____________^

Yay! Let's all stand up with our heads held high for our lovely little darlings

Personally, I take them everywhere and don't get embarassed... But that's because I have my head in the clouds and don't really notice people... And also, if you diss my dolls bad enough I'll get mad at you ^^;;

In general, though, people are really nice, the only thing weird is the tonnes of people who want to know if we're selling them O.o?

p/s - I am 29, also too old for dolls. Being told that hasn't stopped me from wanting more XD

4. Heehee. I'm not embarrassed of my dolls or what I do with them, but sometimes I am embarrassed of this fandom. People who don't spend much time online are just curious about my dolls and where I got them, but sometimes people who have done some reading about BJDs bring up all the hobby's bad behavior, which they've read about on sites like Encyclopedia Dramatica or Fandom Wank. Then I have to go through the "Not Everyone Who Has My Job or Hobbies is Exactly Like Me" speech.

5. n____n It's not like EVERYWHERE I go I get embarassed... Hell, I love taking the boys out and getting stares n__n One time, I had a grown woman with a newborn baby ask me about em :) Sometimes though... ack. My confidence used to be in the toilet, and now its gone up a lot, but sometimes Ill relapse and be little noconfidence girl :| Cant be help, i s'pose. :sweat

6. I have never been embarrassed having my dolls out in the general public. They always create interesting reactions, and often, even more interesting questions.

What I DO find strange, is that some people within the fandom almost want you to feel embarrassed about your dolls, how you paint them, how you photograph them, what sorts of characters and stories you come up with, the clothes you make, the list goes on and on. I would think that people within the hobby would be more tolerant and supportive than the general population, but sadly, I have encountered more judgement and negativity within the BJD community, than outside of it.

7. *shudder* I just popped into ED for a second...just to see what it was, and man, am I revolted =_= the only way I could ever feel okay about that abuse is that it's directed, litterally, at every fandom. Strange thing is, some of that information, if you take out the sting, is true *Sigh* There's def a need for me to scream "I don't have a yaoi vampire gothic doll!" whenever I meet someone now O.o;

But as for being embarassed, I think that if you feel uncomfortalbe w/ your doll outside of your home, go w/ friends! X3 they make everything better and any insults or tactless remarks funnier! :sweat

hey, you're a teenager ;D we all gotta deal with hormonal shifts in confidence, among other things ^^;

8. YEa that's true. There's no need to be embarrassed. I do sometimes feel embarrassed having my kiddo with me thou, thats why I seldom carry her walk around plus to my country here kinda dusty are and smokes everywhere. But to me owning a doll is something really special and not everybody can have that.

Is not a dollar hobby but few hundreds dollar. Not just the price but the unique of each doll. We shud be proud owning them instead feeling embarrased and thinking what people think. I guess I shud take off this mind set as well as sometimes I do think a side.

But whenever I go for shopping I always tell my mum, "Ma.. does this suit Shinku? I guess she will like it so much ^_^". I did that always.

Well yea... so true.. there's no need to be embarrased and care what other people think. xD

9. While I don't have mine yet, I don't recall ever being embarrassed when people ask me about the pictures on my notebooks ^^ I think it's kind of pointless to be embarrassed by what makes me happy, because then it won't make me happy anymore. And I refuse to let the general public take that away from me XD Most people who have asked, though, seem genuinely interested.

10. yes, me too unfortunately. probably because i'm more likely to try and interact with people who have dolls about my own dolls, thinking they will understand. that's sometimes the case but not always.
      i don't care if they personally don't like what i do with my dolls - that's fine, everybody doesn't like certain things, feel free to tell it to their own friends whatever - but why they feel a need to announce it publicly or tell ME about it, i'll never know.

11. Yeah, that's what's embarrassing about it for me, although I tend to find those things pretty funny. But they're only funny (or insulting, depending on your outlook) because they hit close to home.

In terms of people here being more judgmental, I totally agree, but that just makes sense to me. We know what we're looking at and we have a pretty good idea of the range of possibilities, whereas people "on the street" don't know what they're seeing. Enthusiasts always judge other enthusiasts more harshly, although I've never found that to be a problem. I'd rather have praise (or critique) from those who know what they're saying because it's more genuine. :D

12. but i do feel embarassed.
      Due to both my parents object in this hobby and i really care about what they think but i myself luv these dolls too much.

I also killed my friends with annoyance in the last week talking about these dolls.

I shouldn't be wasting money on luxuries. rather i should be considering the burden of our household.

I don't know if it's all worh it in the end. I have cried far too many times over this subject.

13. i know exactly what you mean. my income is very low and the few people outside the hobby with whom i have discussed it treat me like i'm irresponsible to spend money on a "luxury" (of course, they treat me like i'm irresponsible if i spend money on anything!)

the thing is, though, i know i'm not irresponsible, and i don't think you are either. of course we all have those things that must be paid for, and we pay for them- but happiness isn't a waste; it's a necessity, and if we can swing it, why not do what makes us happy? everybody spends money on extras such as movies and dinner out; our extras simply tend to be more expensive and less frequent. there's no shame in that.

don't be so hard on yourself, please!

14. I've been embarrassed by the behavior of the BJD fandom before (I've been to some meets that got a little rowdier than I was comfortable with in public), but my dolls themselves? Not embarrassing. I don't take them out in public very often, though, because when I do people come up to me to ask me about them, and I'm shy, so I don't really like being approached by strangers. Mostly if I have a doll with me it's because I'm taking it somewhere for a meet or a photoshoot, and most of the time I keep it put away in its bag.

So for the most part, people who aren't good friends (whose ears I bend about doll things sometimes) don't even know about the dolls unless they come to my house, at which point the dolls are sitting on the bookshelf. I've had some people look at and comment on them, and some people not even really notice them at all -- they share space with some of my stuffed toys, and I have peculiar things all over my apartment (pinky:st figures, stuffed toys I made myself, a solar-powered toy plant) so they don't stand out as much as they might. XD;

15. I used to carry around a two headed cat doll in 8th grade, and I loved it to pieces. Everyone was fascinated with it, too! I just can't wait until I have my own little dolly to carry around<33

What is the BJD Fandom?

16. I agree people shouldn't be embarrassed about their hobbies, generally speaking. But at the same time, there are situations where one's hobbies can cause embarrassment.

Like the time I wanted to show my coworkers my great vacation pics from the Ueno Zoo. Everybody crowded around my tiny digital camera for a clear view -- of a naked Unoa boy showing off his 'optional part'. I had forgotten I'd taken those photos as reference for a friend. Oops. :blush

I think it just depends on a person's circumstances, some people face harsher consequences than others for being different.

17. It's a nice thought, but I don't think I could ever go out in public with Samana.
      I'm the type of person who cares strongly about what people think of me, and if someone is displeased with something I do/say/the way I look/etc, I get upset with myself.
      So, because of that and the fact that I'm completely paranoid and diffident, I couldn't bring her out with me. :sweat

18. I'm never embarrassed about Kiril. I love introducing him to people, and I'm constantly finding excuses to cart him around!
      Kiril - AND I - both love the attention, and whatever they say about him doesn't faze either of us -- we both like BJDs, and so does everyone else on this thread. ;)
      I have other things to be embarrassed about - I'm not gonna be embarrassed about something I love :D

Kendra - The BJD fandom is the people (en masse) who love/own/admire BJDs. And.. yeah, some of us tend to go a little over-the-top with it :sweat

19. I am embarrassed easily, and have very little confidence in the things I choose to like and do. So, of course, I am embarrassed about my dolls ^^;; Very few people know I have them, and I never take them out into public. I know I shouldn't be afraid, but I am and can't help it.

20. HAHAH XD sorry... *sputter*

Off topic: Ueno zoo! :chibi I went there when it was raining :) such a fun place! (I always seem to go to zoos when I go to foreign countries...sometimes more than one zoo!)