1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't be embarrassed!

Feb 11, 2007

1. Not many of my friends are important enough to tell them about my doll. I'm not embarassed, I just don't care to tell them about myself.

2. when i show ppl my dolls thay all think its cool u guess i cool friends

3. hehe I am not embaressed of my hobby<3 Everyone knows about my kidos!! And I really like that whole "It's like.. if you're embarrassed of the person you're dating you shouldn't be dating them"

4. We had a meet yesterday in St. Augustine and we got some the gawking stares and mutters but really most people that it was the neatest thing ever! One little girl asked us if she could have her picture taken with the dolls (they were almost as big as her!) I love taking my dolls out with me we usually have a ton of fun even if they do get heavy :lol:

5. You can't help if you are a shy person. I have serious social anxiety I get very nervous around people but I force myself to go to meet ups. But even then I am nervous, shy and upset. The only reason I go to the meetups in the first place is because if I don't go my friend can't go.

My hate taking pictures of my doll in public even though those are the best places. And will normally let my friend take my doll do shoots with her. Because I am so scared of what people think.

I don't want people (even people I don't know) think that I am weirder than I am.

6. It's what the fans do and how they behave...online, at meetups, on TV, in print publications, in person, etc.

7. My family and relatives (and friends, though my friends aren't usually judgmental) know that I've been into "strange" hobbies for years now, so I guess I'm kind of used to it. I started attending anime conventions at a pretty young age, around the age of 12 to be exact, and since then I've also been known as the Japanamaniac, the weirdo vegetarian-for-moral-reasons, and now, the teenager who plays with $600 dolls. Honestly, I think my relatives still make fun of my being a vegetarian more than having a BJD. ^^;

Although admittedly I was a bit embarrassed when I first brought Rem out in public simply because I've never before "broadcasted" my hobbies to complete strangers before. I got over it quickly, though, and now I want to brag about Remy to everyone. :)

8. There is no such thing as tacky to me! I've gone out in a petticoat over spandex and a fluffy scarf tied around my bucket hat. If I can go out like that, and not be fazed...taking a doll out is no big deal XD

I say be proud of who you are! There's no shame in individuality!

9. :sweat I think the whole issue of embarrassment is because they are being "dolls" and we are "adults" or "grown ups" - we need to confront and assume ourselves. Then there will be no more embarrassment. Society also needs to accept the trends.

10. I know exactly how this is.. going to my first meetup was so nerve racking, and I didnt have my doll at the time which kind of made it worse (atleast I'd have someone I know).. but it was fun and I'm glad I went.. though I was definitley nervous the entire time..

I've only had Mits for a few weeks, haven't really had much of a need to take him out, when I have gone out looking for stuff for him it's been by myself, if I took him with I'd need someone with me to hold him while I handled merchandise.. I certainly woulndt set him down on bolts of fabric or shelves or w\e (I'm a little neurotic, 'kay?) but yeah.. I guess I'm a little embarassed about him, but it doesnt make me love him any less. I dont talk to my school chums about him, (trying to fit in, ugh. bad emily! no assimilation!) and I really haven't got offline friends (yay for soc. anxiety!).. so I annoy the crap out of my online friends (all non-bjd people)... at home it's okay, a touch of anxiety but nothing too bad. talking to my dad or anyone in my family that's not my mom or her husband makes me very embarassed as I get the "what the hell is wrong with you?" look.. :...( meh. it's always nice to have your family be embarassed of you.

11. I'm glad to see so many responses!
      [:

12. I'm more worried about my dolls getting damaged than about getting stupid commentary. People are really careless - not even maliciously, just completely oblivious to their surroundings. If I sit my doll at the edge of a table, it's not impossible that someone might bump into it, or swing a bag and hit it, or something.

I've never taken my dolls anywhere, though. I'm tempted with my Miyu, but she's not quite ready for that yet.

Honestly though, if somebody doesn't like that I'm taking photos of my doll in the park, they can shove it. So far nobody has had the nerve to come up to me and criticize anything - and if they ever decide to, well. I can dish it out just as well as anyone.

13. I'm a shy person by nature, so there are times and places I feel a little uncomfortable taking them, but for the most part, I don't let my shyness get in the way of what I want to do with my dolls. I have no issues taking them out for photo shoots--I mean, it should be obvious what I'm doing...photography, duh. What I've found is that the average people on the street are pretty respectfull and friendly about them. Much more so than people not involved in the hobby, but who are somewhat familiar with what they are (I run into this at anime cons sometimes)--that's when people can get a little unpleasant.

14. Hah, I hate the ones who are like "OOH, A DOLLFIE!" *snatch* Ooh, there were some unpleasant BJD moments at one of the last conventions I went to.

15. I don't kno what to think right now. My first doll hasn't arrived yet due to delay cos of chinese new year. I've been looking at a 2nd doll to get. The only one i really really want. If i'm truthful i can stop at one. But i would like to own a large and a mini so 2 would be the maximum for me.

Right now everyone is against me. I kno i should spend money wisely. I do. I do spend on manga and CD's but i have thought of cutting back on that. I save money, i may be a student without a job, needing to learn to drive, i want to get a part time to earn money so i don't rely on pocket money by my parents. My parents got a new house, so to run the business and the house we can't afford to go on holiday twice a year anymore and money has to be paid. My dad is taking long term medication and i kno i shouldn't do anything to upset him or my mum. Neither of them are in perfect health anymore.

All my friends think i'm stupid. That i'm spending unnecessary money. I know i should spend money when i need to. but if i save so much money but don't use it what is the point? it's not as if i'm using all of it, i'm only using a portion of it to make me happy. Why don't they understand.

I feel like such a bad daughter and friend because i don't want to listen to them. I listen to them most of the time, so why can i pursude in something i like? I just feel at an all-time low right at the moment.

16. I guess I'm a little shy as well ^^ I don't open up to many people when I first meet them... like I don't tell them much about myself. But, I figure everyone has some hobby that means a lot to them and dolls are my hobby. I even feel weird when my husband tells his family that I really enjoy making doll clothes.

I guess when some people around here (where I live ^^;) think of dolls, they think "Oh, like barbies?" so I'm not always up on the chance to gush about dolls aorund them :O The only person I tlak to about them really is my husband, but that's only because he has to live with them lol

17. Heck, I'll take mine out when he's sueded and had his stringing tightened! His Hound floppiness is the only thing keeping me from doing it now.

18. It's easier said than done to not be embarassed. Our society tells us to fit in and be normal, though it's impossible to be completely normal to everyone elses standards. And of course we always want to avoid negative comments.

I personally don't feel the need to take my dolls with me everywhere I go (Taken them to cons and stuff, but I don't take them to the grocery store, etc), but I struggled just with feeling comfortable knitting in public.:sweat

19. I am not at all embarrassed. My family kind of expect me to like unusual things and take it as just being another part of me. I have actually started a bit of a doll craze amongst my sisters and my mum so I have absolutely no reason at all now to feel embarrassed (they now all own Blythe dolls - hehe - I have sold most of mine to get BJD's). I don't think they will follow me down the BJD path though, but I know they like my dolls.

I have also taken my dolls out with me in public and apart from the odd stare I haven't had much trouble at all. I am the kind of person that gets odd stares whether I carry a doll or not.

In terms of mentioning my dolls at work I talk about them alot. Since starting my new job last June I have been very open about my dolls and I have been asked to bring them in A LOT.

So me embarrassed...never.

EDITED to add - and everyone who knows me knows that work hard to earn my money and I am not worried about spending a lot on what other people may deem to be a waste. Its my life and as I feel I waste half of my life at work I will use the money I earn to make to most of my life.

20. Sometimes, it does feel a little embarrassing. But only because I've spent XXXX amount of money on a doll. Not everyone can understand that, and so it's not convenient to share about it with everyone.

But I love my Isamu very much, and I still show his photos around. Friends who are more manga-influenced find him very handsome, while friends with little Japanese knowledge think he looks like a woman. Either way, the general reaction is that he is cool! Not everyone will agree that he is worth his price tag, but generally that's none of their business anyway.

BJD owners could probably spend all the money we have invested in our dolls on more 'normal' things like expensive vacations and stuff... but if our dolls give us the same (or more) joy, then I don't think people have the right to judge us on it.