1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't be embarrassed!

Feb 11, 2007

1. I have never had a negative reaction. My friends have always thought they were awesome looking, and might have given me a shocked look at their price, but I guesse all my friends have ridiculously expensive hobbies, too, so we don't throw stones, so to speak. I recently sent a doll off and all the employees at the UPS store came over to have a look at her. No one seemed judgmental, just interested in this two foot doll that I was insuring for so much money. Either I'm just lucky, or people are so used to my other oddities that the dolls don't seem to stick out, just fit in LOL.

2. The only thing that embarasses me is that I'm a grown worman with a husband, house and 3 children AND a mother that can still come over to MY house and make me feel bad for my personal toys :P

I shouldn't be spending money on junk?
      the junk is filling up the house?
      What do you see in this stuff?

Two children are enough!!!!

LOL

Ingie

3. Life is to enjoy it with the things you like, not to be embarrassed about your likings!!!
      Are growns up men embarrassed to colect baseball cards or cars in miniature?? Why should we be embarrassed to collect dolls?

I'm lucky my friends like BJD too (though they wouldn't buy one) and my parents, thought a bit unhappy because all of the money they cost, seem to have fun when i talk to them about the clothing and photoshoots.
      Also, i love freaking out "common" people with my "odd likings" (being almost 25 and buying manga, cosplaying, drawing and buying extremely expenieve dolls "to dress them up"), so i'm pretty happy with all this xDDD

4. Jacobean- That is just too cute! :lol:

It was very interesting reading everyone's take and personal experience on the subject. ^^ Here is mine:

The first time I brought my boy out publicly was to bring him to a good friend's house, she has been wanting to meet him since arrival. Back then I have yet to purchase a carrier bag, had to cart him in my arms from the apartment to the underground parking-lot. A fair bit of ninja sneaking around corners, making sure the coast is free of living creatures was done before we made it to the car in one piece- totally chickend out on using the elevator last minute, had to take the stairs instead. ^_~ But after I got over worrying about what people might think about seeing a 20+ female carrying -dear god- a DOLL in broad daylight *gasp*, all was well with the world.

Since his arrival this Feburary, the boy have been on a plane, got his head shipped off to Taiwan, sat shotgun on countless car rides, shopped at several malls/boutiques, had store clerks ooohing and ahhing over him, attended a doll meet, went through late night drive-throughs *grin*, chilled at cafes and fine restaurants, even had his photos taken sitting on a cherry blossom tree! And tonight, he's going to catch "Path Finder" with me and my friends at the local theater. This will be his first time watching a movie at a cinema, I wonder how he will receive it? =D

Guess I'm lucky to be quiet out going by nature? All in all, it really brings me great pleasure and happiness to have him part take in these activities, to be able to share him with the rest of the world... I find it oddly similar to walking your beloved pet in public but not? XD
      Plus it's always fun to see people's reaction to their first encounter with a BJD. *grin*
      Stranger A: homg it's a barbie? wait, a baby? no, a- huh :o ?!

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay in the end, but thanks for reading it through!

5. I once sat in the cinema with Astoroth sitting on my lap. My friends thought it was cute. No one else seemed to notice. After that we all walked around the streets and sat outside the mall and I still had him in my arms. The only time I was embarrassed is when I was at the London Comic Expo and random people took my photo with Kayin without asking. I do get some funny looks but I'm used to it now.

6. Well this is why most of the friends I've made in DE are dolly people - though really I think I may be the only one with the compulsion to take a doll with me everywhere. :sweat The people I know who are going to make a big deal out of it usually cause more of a scene about my carrying a doll then if I was alone - so I don't take the kids out when I'm with those people unless we are going to a place like JoAnn's were I almost always take my kids because I'm comparing fabric and patterns to the dolls.

7. I guess I can understand. For anyone not used to being stared at, it would be tough to get used to. My personal style has always been a little, erm, unique XD So I really don't think it would bother me.

8. Haahaa, I'm not embarrassed, but I have received questions like "Have you ever tought what else you could have got by that money you have used on this bjd-thing?". And I have, and I'm not regreting it and i'll do it again. And again. And again...

But when a friend of mine goes and tells to everybody that "she is ordering cute boys from Korea"... well, I feel a bit 'ehheh :sweat '. But mostly everything has been positive kind of comments. Or they just make fun of it, by friendly way. Ok, I have received some "you are strange"-looks too, but I just smile to them and soon no-one minds.

So I'm not embarrassed about this :3. And I hope that no-one needs to be, so that you all can enjoy bjds fully <3.

9. I hardly ever take my boys out because I don't want them damaged. But when certain disapproving relatives call me stupid for having this hobby, I snap back at them. I don't tell my friends about my boys because they'll just "Oh, really? Whatever" me.

But I have no qualms about carrying my doll around in public. Let them stare. o0

10. Am I the only one who does get embarrassed? ^^; I love my dolls something fierce, and I very much enjoy others appreciating them, but I see no need to bring such large, expensive toys to school or such sort of public place. Maybe once in a while to show someone - and even then, just Denzel or Mittwoch and they're kept in a bag for most of the day until I find the person I want to share them with.

I wouldn't say I'm terribly shy, I do get quite silly at times, but I don't like attracting unwanted attention and comments. This hobby is a great one, yes, but that doesn't mean that people are fools for not understanding or appreciating the effort I've put into them. I hardly expect anyone I meet to care about the dolls, much less the characters - which are what mean the most to me. I do tell my very uninterested male geeky friends about them, and consequently get heckled, but hey - I don't care. If I'm basing a friendship off of someone's ability to like my dolls, what the hell.

I can honestly say that if any of my friends came over to my house and asked for me to show them, I'd say no. My dolls are for myself and for sharing with other doll collecters, and not just anyone who will listen/look.

11. I've always had strange hobbies and interests, so even though I'm an extremely shy person (I have Social Anxiety Disorder), my hobbies are the one thing that I tend to be really comfortable with sharing.

If I go out in public in relatively normal clothes, with no exciting accessories, I tend to get very nervous. However, if I go out in some sort of costume (Renaissance, pirate, and animals costumes are some favorites :) ), or with a handmade puppet or plushy on my arm, I tend to be more confident. If nothing else, those sorts of things are always easy conversation starters. If you look confident, and 'walk with a purpose' as my grandmother always used to say, then most people respond positively to you. The ones who heckle you are generally jerks any way, so I consider it a pleasant bonus that I can identify the people least worth talking to and avoid them ;)

I haven't had the chance to take my doll out yet, as I just got him, but I'm going to a costume party tomorrow,and will probably drag him along. If I can get some pants made for him in time, in addition to a costume for myself :sweat

12. lols I'm resurrecting an older thread XDDD; anyway...(like srsly...I'm bored ^^')

Since I've had my doll for a while now, I can answer this thread XD.

Well, I never really thought about being embarrassed or not with the hobby. I mean, I already started out pretty goofy with liking anime/video games and cosplaying and such, so being used to that (with people's misunderstandings and such), I never really was embarrassed about doll collecting because I guess it was just as "weird."

Sometimes I don't express my interests right when I move to a new place or meet new people, because for one thing it might give the people the first impression of the stereotype I appear like. So usually just mention my hobbies in my conversations, and then ppl are like "Oh, cool." lol (XD of course I use being an art student as an excuse for my weirdness XDDDD; )

13. I feel a similar way. I have never wanted to bring my dolls out with me in public. I don't have any problems with meetups, I actually love meetups because we can all engage in the same subject and share each others characters, see what all kinds of molds look like when individualized by their owners, and see rare dolls or even just dolls I'd never personally own in person, plus we can have great photo ops. I also take her to work because I have my own private office for the summer, and she can perch on a box beside me on the desk while I work, and she keeps me company (but doesn't come out of her protective pillows and faceup-protector plastic thing until I'm in the office with the door closed).

I would be so paranoid of someone trying to take her from me, or break her, or something happening to damage her, etc. Plus part of the reason I got out of being a sweet lolita (recently) was because when it comes down to it, I hate attention from strangers. Positive attention is ok I guess, but I am so sick to the core of my being of strangers thinking coming up and saying some comment about me is ok. I have no desire to share my wonderful angel with those kind of people. So basically for a whole pile of reasons I don't. I'm not actually ashamed of my hobby at all though. My boyfriend, family, friends, etc. know about my weirdness, well I have other hobbies too that are a bit out of the ordinary and everyone accepts that's just who I am. I'm more than happy to show them to anyone who is interested or curious, but that's all really. I don't think people are necessarily any more attached to their dolls or not embarrassed about them if they tote them around everywhere in plain view as opposed to someone who doesn't. ^_^;

14. I don't feel embarassed at all. I'm proud of talking about my dolls and many other things that I love. Even though some people don't understand and think that I'm nut. Be I don't care. Thats who I am. I also love Anime, Manga, J-pop and J-rock(sigh ^^Hyde:aheartbea )

15. *laughs* That's amazing! I never thought of that! I haven't taken Roland out yet, but I might just to see people's reaction. (gotta dress him in cool chainmaile, first - He's gotta look cool if I'm taking him out.)
      Although I have, since I was small, not been into dolls. I had a pile of Barbies, but I honestly spent more time reading and drawing. I am a tomboy, through and through, so my friends find it hilarious that I have a doll at 25. But they say, "figures you get the one you can dismember." :lol: Or "Oh, of COURSE his eyes come out."
      One of them, a guy, has a whole ROOM in his house dedicated to his toy collection, and he's really interested in seeing Roland. I might even take him to DnD and roll up a character sheet for him! *laughs*

My husband pointed out that I get stared at a lot ANYWAY, even when I'm not dressing oddly or wearing a chainmaile headdress or cat ears... So might as well give them something really different to stare at! ^_^

16. I'm not embarrassed, and even quite eager to introduce my doll to anyone who sees him. However, some of my younger friends don't really like me obsessing over a doll, but I can't really blame them, I admit that I've been hanging around with a wrong crowd.
      My best friend wants to get a BJD now too, because of how much I talk about mine. Other people don't tease me about the doll when they see me with him, so I'm not embarrassed, but proud to have such a beautiful doll.

17. Embarrassed? Sort of.

For instance, I'm not embarassed with my friends or most of my coworkers - I tell them about my slight obsession with BJD, how I'm raising money by selling clothes, the one I want, etc. My best friend has a BJD too, so I always have someone to talk with about my hobby.

However, I'm planning on never telling my parents, at least not until I've finished paying off my student loans. I feel so guilty sometimes, for having spent this much on a doll - I just keep thinking of the textbooks, and clothes, and food, and tuition I could be getting with that money - but I love them. I'm waiting on mine, now, and knowing me, I'll haul him out for every single friend I have, but he won't say, go to class or work.

I don't want to think that I'd be embarrassed... but I probably would be in a lot of situations, like... public. I get horrible anxiety attacks for everything else... dolls wouldn't be any different, I'm afraid. As much as I love them... there's embarrassment.

18. Honestly, I'm embarassed when people (except my family) see/know that I am adult who is still loving/keeping dollfies. *_*
      It's because for their opinions, dollfies symbolize children (not mature/not grown up) :|
      However, they cannot stop me from collecting/owning the dollfies I love.:love

19. I'm embarassed! I haven't even told any of my family apart from my mum. I mentioned them ever so slightly to a friend ages ago, and she seemed to think it was cool, but again I got the whole "so expensive" remark....I've been thinking about mentioning them again, but I can't really be bothered. Lots of my friends don't agree with my taste in stuff like music and tv... I get pissed off enough when my friends tell me I have "terrible taste in music" compared to some of the stuff they listen to. I don't need to listen to them rant on about how I want to buy a $1,000 doll.

20. I was embarressed when my parents found out about me purchasing my
      E-an.
      Im a 16 year old average anime fan XD
      It worked out sooo randomly.
      There was a post on anime forum about BJDS and when i was curious and had a look the page took me into dream of doll.
      I dunno why but as soon as i saw E-an i was like DREAMING OF DOLL
      I soon felt that i needed her to be apart of my life and so i started saving up.
      I told my dad to put my money on my card because i knew if not i was going to use it! I TOLD HIM I NEED $1300 he asked me what i was saving for and i told him i was saving up for a laptop.
      So throught out the weeks i was just working and saving.
      Until i had enough he brought me a debit card so i transfered all the money in it and BROUGHT MY FIRST LOVE XD
      my dad asked where all the money went and in the suncorp display of past transactions it said korea transfer blah blah blah and then her realised so i showed him and now he thinks im gay because im a boy thats fallen in love with a BJD XD
      my moms got over it but now at least SHES SHIPPING THIS WEEK XD
      MY DADS GOTTEN OVER IT NOW TOO
      but he doesnt talk to me that much anymore =_=
      why cant parents understand that this generation is soo diffrent from the past!!
      I NOW BUY CLOTHES FOR HER EVERYWEEK AND BROUGHT HER A BAG SHOES EVERYTHING!! SHE WILL BE SOO HAPPY WHEN SHE ARRIVES XD