1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't be embarrassed!

Feb 11, 2007

1. I love taking my boy out in public. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about me so comments have never really bothered me. My boy likes to go out, I like to take him out places and plus it makes buying things that are the right size for him a hell of a lot easier. However I do agree with what everyone else has said, if you act like it is normal then people will treat it that way (except for the odd few but they are either complete morons - sorry I come from a town of inbred hicks and ignorant teens who think they are tough - or are jealous and are trying to insult you just because they wish they had something so pretty). I've had many people just randomly start up conversations with me because of my boy, I've met some really nice and interesting people that way and introduced some people to the bjd world.
      I don't think any more of carrying Kaito around in public than I would of wearing a shirt with my favourite anime series or band on it.

2. In my hometown I once took a stroll dressed up in princessy pink with a tiara and everything with a So-Soft MLP peeking out of my bag. That was hilarious. Everyone will like take a moment and just smile as they see you. Sure, I feelt a little emberessed, but in a good way. Cause I liked how I looked and felt good about it.

I think it will be the same with dolls for me.

But then again, it's everyone's choice wether they want to go out for a stroll with a dolly or not. And it could also be experimental, almost soul searching you know? Hehe, now I'm not making sence here, but I think alot of people just want to share what they felt, good or bad.

3. Well said kendra! we shouldn't be the ones who are embarressed! those people who laugh and point are the ones who should be ashamed for their small-ness of heart and closeness of mind!
      i hate it when people gossip behind your back with the likes of "is she crazy?"
      sorry to sound like a snob but sometimes i just feel "at least my doll costs at LEAST 10 times more than any doll you have ever owned" and to me, dolls are no different from art. i appreciate them and if others don't, it's their loss but nothing is going to stop me from taking them out in public..
      i am proud of my resin babies!
      a little OT here.. but if anyone dare to call them barbies.. they would have to suffer my wrath!

sadly i seldom get nice people coming up to me....only weird looks, stares and pointing when i bring my dolls out... so sorry if i sound like a horrible bad-tempered girl.. i guess it is because of the environment singaporean kids are brought up in.. boys will just stick to computer games and girls to shopping.. any deviation from that and we are considered freaks..

4. :) I'v have taking mini moon out in public and l don't give a dam what people think or say anymore.

5. As far as I'm concerned, I don't know how I should feel about it. I mean I know I shouldn't be embarrassed because I really love my dolls, but by telling some about their price, some people would think I'm a stupid spoiled girl who doesn't know money doesn't come from trees!
      I can tell you I'm proud of my dolls, I had the chance to bring my MSD outside with me as I went to a convention about Japanese culture,mangas, and so on. I had my sweet Framboisine in my arms for these 3 days, and found it funny to see people's reaction when they came across me and saw my pink haired doll^^!Most of the time they reacted positively,or didn't know what it was..

It was the only time I went outside with one of my dolls (execept on last sunday, I had to show Framboisine to a friend :) ) not for being embarassed but because I'm always worried that a clumsy person could dammage them!
      And I must admit I'm shy and then I get embarassed for nothing (you just have to look at me then I'll get embarassed:lol: ).

But I'll be glad to bring my dolls somewhere else:) !

6. I admire you kids who like to set your own style and show your colors. Heck it wasn't that long ago your parents and grand parents were at it over what they wore so this generation is no different in wanting to set a pace they like. I am more afraid of the fowl language spewed by little ones then the make up and clothes the teens are wearing. To me as long as you smile, have respect for others regardless of age and manners you can dress whatever way you like. As for the dolls, I am not embarrassed by owning them, more like I fear damage done by grabbers and such. I take my doll out for pics and don't need someone moving it or running off with it. It's easy to replace Barbie, but these are $300-$700 each pieces of art and I want it respected too. So I am careful and aware of my surroundings and those near by. Bravo to those who face the masses of ignorance!!

7. now that you mention it.. i do feel as if i'm a little spoilt girl sometimes when people ask me their prices.. this is a luxury item and there are so many other things i could use the money for.. with the high costs of living all around.. but i worked during my holidays so that i can buy them so i guess that should be acceptable? but people tend to go "you are crazy.. with that money i can buy... this this this that that that" but i would be like "but i don't want those! i want HIM!" i don't see why people can splurge on branded goods which cost more than a doll and they can't accept or respect why we want these dolls...

8. I tend to get embarassed and shy easily. But then I discovered something when I first started wearing lolita, I liked it, regardless of what other people did/said/whatever. I held my head high and generally people didn't give me a problem with it. I realized it was the same with my doll. ...though I have a much eaiser time being confident with her in public when I'm in lolita though XD;

The point here is, be yourself, even if yourself is someone who carries around and plays with dolls. When you're you, yoiu feel good. It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.

9. I intend to take my BJD to lots of places with me when he arrives!
      He's going to sit on my lap in the car, on the bus and on the train and even on planes if I take him abroad with me! I'll probably talk to him as well because I already do that with my plushie cat so... :sweat
      I really couldn't care less what people think of me walking around with a doll, I love him so what does it matter? He wants to go places! He doesn't want to sit in the house all day ^_^

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not" - I like that quote *whips it into her sig on another forum* it's so true ^_^

Besides - what's the point of spending a small fortune on a doll if you can't DO anything with it?! :D And if anyone says anything just smile and say 'thank you' even if it's unkind because at least you know they have nothing better to do with their own sad little pointless lives than think up insulting things to say to you ^_^

10. I'm not embarrassed about my hobby at all.
      If people think it's childish? I don't mind.
      I tend to love 'childish' things because of their unique charm.
      If nothing is wrong with it, and it makes you happy, why be ashamed?
      I do tend to keep away from mentioning the price, though, there are people
      who understand the price and those who don't.

11. "this is a luxury item and there are so many other things i could use the money for.. with the high costs of living all around.. but i worked during my holidays so that i can buy them so i guess that should be acceptable? but people tend to go "you are crazy.. with that money i can buy..." (>quote)

We shouldn't worry that much about it, if we've worked a lot to buy it, it means this is something we really wanted, there's nothing wrong in doing that. Those who don't understand cannot choose for us what we should buy or not, it's our choice, and that's all :)!They probably would have bought an expensive bag with this money or another thing like that.

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not"(>quote)
      That's absolutely true:) !

12. I don't feel embarrassed for having BJDS (or any other dolls in that matter...)
      But I don't like taking my dolls to public places or talk about them with ppl I'm not close to.

I feel there's no need for me to either hide or boast this hobby.
      So I keep it semi-private. Those who are close to me eventually will know,
      and those who aren't will never know.

13. I feel embarassed about my doll when i'm the only one there with him. But when there are others with dolls i feel more comfortable and i don't need to worry about what other people think, because there are people just like myself who are with me. I'd never take my doll out on my own because sadly it's too dangerous for me to. Sadly not everyone is so welcoming towards seeing things they deem strange.

Long story, it was recently i left my boy ontop of a small cabinet in my living room and just to my luck, it was the day my entire family was comming around to see my new baby sister. However they ended up more intrested in asking me why on earth i have a £200 doll in my living room and why i'd want to even own something like that. They even began questioning what stereotype i fall under (which i found to be quite rude as just because my doll wears black doesnt mean i'm a goth) but i managed to smile and just say it's something i'm intrested in. Even if my mom decided to embarass me even more by talking about his uhm... "winkie".

So usually i'm not embarassed by my doll. I AM however embarassed when people ask probing questions about him to me and then continue to question me as a person. It's not the doll itself that's embarassing, it's peoples reactions towards them. That's my opinion anyway D: Sorry if i made it a little personal ^^;

14. Nope, you are not the only one! I don't know that I would be able to carry my dolls around, either... I certainly wouldn't bring my doll to work... since there's no one in the office that would really appreciate a large BJD should I choose to bring it with me (after I get one, that is! :sweat). Besides, the cleaners at work might steal them. We've had some things go missing coincidentally on cleaning days, so I wouldn't bring any doll of mine at work! :o

I wouldn't mind if someone asked to see them, especially not one of my friends. If they are really interested, I'll gladly share. The only place I could really foresee bringing a resin kid is on a trip, or to San Francisco on day trips. :lol: I have visions of sitting them on the railing somewhere overlooking the bay and taking photos of them "on vacation".

OK, so it might freak my boyfriend out if I started carting a doll around with me... and I'm sure as I can breathe that I'd get a lecture about being more frugal with my money, but he loves me regardless! ... As long as I have money to buy him an anniversary present. :roll:

Well put. :)

15. I'd take my doll to work!
      All the people I work with think I'm a weird freak anyway so I don't care! Most of my family and my bf think I'm crazy for liking BJDs but that's just because they don't have the same tastes as me.
      I justify it to them thus:
      "My sister spent £200 on a pair of jeans. I spent £200 on a doll. Eventually she'll ruin or grow out of or decide she doesn't like the jeans and will throw them away, give them away or send them to a charity shop. My doll is something that (provided I don't accidentally break him) will last me forever and if I DO decide I don't want him anymore (SO unlikely) at least I can sell him on to someone who does, bringing joy to the life of another doll lover who will care for him like I have. Who's the bigger fool? Me? Or my sister?"
      That's what I tell my folks anyway.

The way I see it is it's all just a matter of tastes and hobbies. I'm proud of my tastes and the fact that they differ from other people's doesn't bother me at all. If I'm walking down the street with Yuki and someone laughs or makes fun of me I'll laugh too - at least I know I'll never be so sad as them that I have to make my amusement at the expense of others. I'd never bother to laugh at someone who's wearing different clothes to me (well, ok, if they're dressed like an emu then I'd probably laugh) or who's blatantly into completely different things to me - if anything it'd make me want to look into it to find out why they like it, in many cases.
      I won't take Yuki out when I'm with my boyfriend or friends who don't share the hobby but I'd almost certainly take him out with me if I was alone or with friends who share the hobby, even if they haven't got their dolls with them. I'm going to visit my friend in Aberdeen after Yuki arrives - he's going to sit on my knee and look out the wondow for the train journey and both bus journeys ^_^

16. Just adding my thoughts to a thread I missed somehow..

I am always surprised to read about someone's embarassment over something with this hobby. I say, if you're embarassed, don't collect dolls, but we wouldn't be here if we didn't love them. Therefore, don't let the *cough* ignorant opinions of others bother you. Frankly, everyone collects something. Even if it is only dust in their head. ^_^

17. I always feel embarassed because of myself...But I'm proud of my dolls~

18. I'm not embarassed of them at all, if someone asks me what my hobbies are I list them casually among the other zillion things I do. I love them and that's all the matters to me. I've been lucky though, I have gotten very few negative quips from strangers and my less approving friends have already done their talking.
      My fear is more along the lines of someone going out of their way to actually take them from me. I'm very paranoid, so when I bring one of my boys somewhere they're concealed until I reach my destination unless I'm with a friend, then I'm alright with carrying them.

19. Since I was younger I've had to deal with people laughing at me because I liked anime and manga, so now, 10 years later, I still put up with it. Now I just have to stick up for the fact that I collect dolls too. XD

Its not really a big deal to me. People can say what they want, but I still have my dolls, and I'm happy, so I don't care. ^^;

20. oh ya haha just wanna share.. i purposely got a PVC see-through bag recently.. so my kids do not have to hide in a dark bag when we go out and my hands got tired! i think they like it ^^
      haha ~