1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't trust a doll over 30?

Apr 11, 2009

?
  1. If it fit the character and was a good sculpt, sure!

2. No way- I like the fact that my dolls won't age.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. If it looked good, I'd be all about a doll sculpted to look older. I've currently got two guys with 'older' looking faceups-faint wrinkles and such.
      However, I can't really imagine it working with the stylized look of these dolls. Perhaps I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong!

2. I have two 'aged' dolls in my collection, and while the gentleman works really well with just the faceup and his original sculpt (Elfdoll K), the lady I'm still not quite sure of, as the sculpt is still clearly that of a younger woman, even with her excellent wrinkle-filled faceup. If there were actual sculpts intended to be older (the character is 45), I would probably exchange her for one of those. I think there would be enough of a market for them. Certainly they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd be game.

Patrick is fantastic, IMHO. I just need to do something with his hair.
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3932368&postcount=7 (thanks to Fishiestix for posting that).

BTW, this has nothing to do with dolls, but...Suikoden is love. I used to have a character doll from this series, but I gave up on her ever getting her mate, so I changed the doll's personality to be someone else. Actually, part of the issue with that was the fact I couldn't find an 'older' looking sculpt to be her mate, and the fact he'd have to be an MSD-size. Stubborn me needed the older version of the character...

3. Um, why not? I guess I don't understand/share your aversion to the idea of aged female bodies or the idea that the signs of ageing are "imperfections". I think there's real beauty to the changes age makes on a body. For companies that make darker skin, too, I'd love a body that reflected the fact that not all cultures strap themselves up in bras - an Aboriginal Australian doll with breasts that flow downwards instead of sticking out like an anime character's would be so beautiful I'd hate to put clothes on her. The closest I could come to a traditional Australian woman now is one who looks like she's wearing an invisible bra.

I'd prefer a doll who looks like she's lived well and aged naturally - full, heavy stomach, wrinkles, folds of flesh and all. I'd buy one like that in a shot - she'd be amazing to dress, or to display naked. Shades of the "fat dollfie" thread here, I guess.

I know it's not realistic to want this, though, as far as bjds go - they're stuck in the shoujo anime aesthetic where even the main character's mothers tend to look like big-busted twelve year olds, until they hit sixty and are suddenly two feet tall.

4. I agree with Autumn rain.

There's still a character in my head, who is now into her 40's, but she will never make it to dollmold, because well... which mold? I want some wrinkles, a little sagboobs and tummy.

Also in my stories about my dolls is a recurring character who is a 60 year old butler. No doll mold either.

Personally. I'd love to get some realistic aged dolls. With laugh rinkles, crowsfeet and bodies gravity started having effect.

5. I would like to have an older looking doll in the future. I think some of Unidoll's boys like Berkrut and Jace could easily lend themselves to an older male so I am totally up for it :D

6. I wouldn't buy an older looking doll.
      It's just not my preference :)
      Like I buy msd because I like childish looking dolls.

But I think having older looking dolls would be interesting ^^
      I wouldn't mind to look at them

7. There's only two of my "I want to resin-ate" characters that I don't have this problem with. May whose about 3-4 years old (Littlefee here I come) and Estie because she's only just into her twenties. Tami isn't too hard because there are some nice mid mature female molds. But male wise, I'm going to struggle. Yuri is mid thirties and Zoran's almost in his forties... And they're both uber fit.

I have to say whilst I love the idea of maturer faces, I'd rather not see the full effects of age on the bodies. I'm not saying I don't want a bit of a tummy or even less wonderbra breasts just not overally wrinkly?

8. I have a character who is 55, a warrior and definitely with a lived in face. He is in very good shape for his age, so I guess when the time comes that I have money to burn, I could get a friend of mine to sketch him, do a Minimee head and stick it on some body that I kept clothed. And I would do that-he is very important to the lives of the two main characters, who are both Beautiful People.

LOVE the Frank Hopkins!

9. If the sculpt is beautiful and appealing I'd totally buy an older looking doll ^^. However, if the doll is supposed to look older and has let's say wrinkles, then I would want the body to look more mature as well. I've seen too many realistic MNMs on those stylized teenage bodies and imho this looks too strange.

10. I wouldn't be against an ojiya-type doll, but I think that wrinkles are what gives individuality to a face. I don't know how it would mesh with batch-made resin dolls with the same mold. I think that the doll making process goes better with anime-style smooth-looking younger dolls...

11. I would LOVE having some older guys, around 45 years old.
      I just love Biseinen and real men X"D

12. Seeing as I already have two dolls that are considered to look 'old' by ABJD standards (Lati Red M and Tinybear Coco) I am definitely on-board for more-mature figures.

I wonder how much could be done to create the illusion of the features of time, like how they can 'age' an actor with stage makeup, without resorting to prosthetic? Be a great experiment for somebody with a spare hed rolling around!

13. Agreed. I am totally jonesing for a Berkut to be my Ukranian Mafiosi, Nicholai. He would be in his late 30s. I think Berkut can pull it off. I wish more doll companies would make sexy but mature sculpts. I have my fingers crossed for at least one more mature looking sculpt in the Iplehouse EID line either superhero/or model. Luo and Akando can definitely be made to look well into their 30s with the right faceup, from what I have seen.

14. It depends. Young and old dolls are attractive in different ways, like younger and older men. I like to believe that young dolls/guys are nice because they look cute and more energetic; I feel I can have fun with them. With older guys/dolls, it's the charisma behind the face (although old guys can be good-looking too, I'm sure. See Sean Connery and Richard Gere); it seems that if anyone can make me smile/laugh from the bottom of my heart, it's the ones that look older. Personally, the line is crossed after 50; I suspect partly because that's my father's age. ^ ^;

15. I'm not sure that I would buy one with exaggerated older features, because the doll would be rather limited in it's expression, but I like mature faces that could be painted in a variety of ways.

16. I'd love to see an older doll. Most of my characters fall in the 20-40 age and i rarely use teen characters. So it would be great.

17. I'd love to have some good looking older guys. And "older" depends on your frame of reference, I guess. My tan K is a more mature-looking facial sculpt but I'm hard pressed to think of him as more than 30, and that says young man to me.

One of the best-looking guys I've *ever* seen comes to visit our department regularly. (awww, darn! ;) ) He's *retired* - probably in his mid-sixties. Slim, muscular, everything one of our younger sculpts' bodies has but slate gray hair and the inevitable deep wrinkles on his face. That would make for a heck of a doll. Sign me right up.

I don't know about older women. The most obvious think I could think of to make them look older would be the absolutely inevitable hip-width change that comes with childbearing. Even if the woman sheds every ounce of baby fat, those bones have shifted position pretty radically. And the lowering of breast placement. Would I *buy* that? I'm not sure. We already have lots of dolls who could be made to look artfully older with just a touch of shading around the eyes, and you can always get a "salt and pepper" wig. And lots of our girl sculpts have pretty good hip width already.

18. Interesting responses everyone. I have to say that I think an aged doll would be nearly a therapy tool for me. Sort of a "Hey, it won't be so bad!", type of thing. As far as actual sculpts go, if they can make centaurs and winged demons, surely they can make sculpts that show graceful aging. :)

Edtel, of course Suikoden is love! I missed out on 1,2, and Tactics, but I've played all the others. I wouldn't mind a few anthro dolls of some of the Suikoden characters either. ;) I am in love with the Porpos clan in ds game. And I can just use the cats from Pipos to make a Chiepoo! :lol:

19. The "mother dollfie" you speak of is actually "Mother SD", a statuette of the Virgin Mary in the Volks Tenshi-no-Sato store; and if I'm not mistaken, she was given that name by fans, not Volks itself, but it seems like they adopted that name afterward. Her name is mentioned here, on the "Super Dollfie World View", but I don't think that's a silhouette of a potential "Mother Dollfie" doll but rather SD16 or SD17. "World view" is at its most basic another term for "religion" (as in, how people see their world and so on), so I think what they were saying here is that Mother SD gives birth to all Super Dollfies and thus is their matriarch, which seems to be the role she plays at Sato, surrounded by Rei Tenshi and Sei Tenshi. Of course, maybe Volks would someday make a line of bigger dolls that were more mature, but I don't think it's likely nor do I think that Mother SD would be involved.

As for an older-looking doll, why not? I personally don't think I'd have one, as I think that to me my dolls are more like representations of eternal youth or something. I can see why someone who makes dolls for their characters would do it, but I don't so I'd have no real need for an older doll. But rock on for the rest of you.

20. I have to echo the thought that there are certainly already some older looking molds around...MnM in particular lends themselves to being well aged. I have seen a Constantine done with all of the wrinkles and whatnot from a Soo-Ri I believe and he is quite remarkable.

Would I myself buy an older looking doll? If it fit in my storyline...I also have a Viggo head, but that is just for the fandom of it all...

Most of my men are in their thirties or are ageless...so..it will be interesting to see where we go from there..