1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't trust a doll over 30?

Apr 11, 2009

?
  1. If it fit the character and was a good sculpt, sure!

2. No way- I like the fact that my dolls won't age.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Though its not exactly the same as 'old' I do tend to make the bad spots in faceups a little more pronounced to help 'de-perfect' my dolls. Age spots, burns, and small scars, with a sprinkle of freckles and moles here and there. It makes them seem more real.

Now back on topic, and older doll would be so awesome. I could think of so many characters I could make from them. There's only so much age you can put on by faceup, after all...

2. I have one OC that would not look right as a young girl, or even what is considered "mature". Namely, that if I had her, I'd also have her two children in doll form. So uh... it would be weird if she looked the same age or younger. XD;

So if there were really mature looking dolls, I'd probably get one for her. But then again, it's probably a good thing that there are none!

3. I have three...no, four...no.... another one coming, so that's five... good grief! Minimee guys who were sculpted to be in their mid to late 40s, and one who was definitely sculpted with wrinkles and crow's feet and is probably in his late fifties.

And I have a couple of female sculpts who are at least into their 30s too.

So yes, I like "older" dolls enough to order MNMs of them.

4. I think it would be very nice to at least have the option of more mature dolls. I think lots of other people would buy them. I don't think I'd buy anything older than mid-forties, as my characters are vampires, fairies, etc.

But I do have to say that I DO like the more mature dolls available NOW, such as Soom's Spinel as opposed to the immature dolls like DOT's, that are way too young looking for my appeal.

:chocoberry

5. You may want to look into getting an Iplehouse boy body, muscle type. It's thicker than normal bodies, more muscled and mature. For dolls that are "uber fit" but also aged, it may just work. Especially if you get the dolls face-up to show a more mature look. Just a thought. ^. -

6. I think mature dolls are great--I have two youngish ones, but I have plans for more adult ones. They have a lot of character. I think one of the most mature sculpts I've seen was Happydoll Margo...could definitely work for a much older character.

7. No I wouldn't want an older looking doll.
      My dolls aren't based on characters. I choose them because I think they are cute.:)
      Though older people IRL can be cute it would not translate into my definition of a doll being cute.
      I really don't like realistic or mature looking sculpts.:sweat

8. I would definitely like a couple of dolls who looked older - around 50 but well preserved if you know what I mean! Most of my dolls are part of a story, and the parents of two of my characters are an important part of it - they are grandparents too so I would like to have them in real life and not just in my imagination!

9. realistic dolls often look older,
      faceups help a lot too.
      Wrinkles simply don't go all that well with dolls i'm afraid.
      Lose old skin is something you can hardly make to look right in clay.

I have one mortal bjd that is late 20...maybe even early 30.
      My Limhwa half elf.
      But shes a tattoo artist, and wears quite some makeup.. and has good looks on her side lol..
      But.. being 21 and having friends ranging from 17-25... she definitely looks older then them.

She has adopted two kids, and her husband has already adopted a older girl Raine when they weren't married yet.
      And he is a 40+ looking grumphy half wolfish men [but immortal so lol]
      he's being made into a dollstown Hue soon..so wish me luck on that one.

So if you pick the right molds it shouldn't be hard to make..especially men..look older.

Hounds, Uni dolls.. they have potential because they have rough features.

Unlike more anime like dolls like cp dolls, who have over sized heads that to start with make them look younger.
      Combined with big eyes and often unisex faces that could work as boys and girls...
      These are all features young kids have and share with these dolls.
      Which often scares me a bit..
      as a semi realistic artist i feel a bit pedo owning a child like face stuck onto a mature body LOL

btw,
      i am someone that loves adding little freckles and skin marks on faceups XB,
      for indeed the reason that the skin looks more like..it is living a life then >___>''

10. Since I have been bitten by the bishounen-bug: No.

11. Hey, what's wrong with being 30? ;)

My wife and I have pretty much newer dolls but if we saw and older doll that looked good and had been taken care of and we liked it, the age would not be a factor. even if the older doll was damaged in some way, if we could fix it the age would not matter.

12. I've seen a few face-ups on dolls with deliberate "aging" done to them (ie: wrinkles etc...) and I have to say that when it's done *well*, it can be *really* good.
      Personally, I really don't see myself ever going in that direction if I'm being perfectly honest. I do enjoy the whole immortal notion behind dolls - I think it fits with the general aesthetic of ABJDs. If they were sculptures, or a different sort of doll maybe I would feel differently...
      (Also might have something to do with the fact that I don't really plan on ever having my older or elderly OCs as dolls... :sweat)
      Just my thoughts.

13. I am greatly amused that "old" according to this thread is 30. :roll:

That said, I covet a crone sculpt. By this I mean a figure with wrinkles, a stooped back, and wizened fingers twisted with age. Something slender, but only because time has taken all the curves of youth back. That would be remarkable. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

14. Nomi, my namu is supposed to be age 39. With his more mature looking body, the namu mold and freckles he does look older by far than all my other dolls who are in their early 20's, albeit wearing a lot of very heavy make up.

I think its all about character for me. I like the fact that Nomi can have all this history and it can show in his face..I'd love an even older looking doll if it were done well, if I had a character for them. I don't right now, but hey you never know.

15. Lol. ;) I was trying for the old "Don't trust anyone over 30", gag from the 60s/70s. I'm in my thirties myself. The second link in my first post has a picture of the aged woman/crone I would love to have as a doll. My only problem with a stooped back would be finding/sewing clothing for her.

Second question for anyone still reading this topic. It looks like a older male sculpt would be more popular than an older female sculpt. Any thoughts?

16. I won't buy any doll that looks more than 25. The oldest looking doll I have is Barbie, I think she looks 26, certainly not 16! My mom has mature looking dolls but they are doll-statues in traditional costumes, more like display ornaments. Even so, I don't think they look more than 30 years old. It's just me, I want both girls and boys young. :sweat

17. Some of the differences may be why folks collect in the first place. I'm looking to endoll characters, or to find a character that belongs with mine who I haven't met yet. That means allowing for a wider range of ages than for folks who are interested in the sheer joy of springy childish happiness, as in the tinies.
      I went to some trouble to do Drin's faceup to suit his character, and to find him bodies that would work with the realism of his Minimee face. He's sculpted from a younger person, but the beard makes it easy to age him, as with the Minimee of Gary Oldman. I thought the Domuya Flexi-Perennial and the older single-jointed Souldoll body I could afford both looked appropriate for him--in varying body-widths--for his age.
      IMHO, finding a body that looks both fit and the appropriate age can be done for lots of folks under 70. Older, for a cronelike look, would probably require some serious thought and comparison searching. I bet I could do it, though. I would look for very thin bodies.
      I think there's an over-emphasis on sags and wrinkles and all those trivial cues that commercials like to sell to. That's because basic proportions don't change even if you drop 150 pounds, they're just *smaller*. I believe it's the proportions that give away age. For an artist, it's not wrinkles that age a face nearly so much as the thinning of the tissue over the bone and the hollowing of the eyesockets and under the cheekbones. You can do that much with sandpaper and acrylic medium (as with scars) on a more-realistic sculpt with smaller eyes. Of course picking a head with smaller eyes also looks older.
      As their faces and bodies look gaunter over the bones, people also look older. A bony body will look older. But again, it's still relative proportions. Without naming company names, many of the cruder-sculpted BJD bodies out there actually have a thicker waist and thinner chest, ironically giving them the waist-hip proportions of either a child or of a much older person.
      For Drin, he's not quite that old yet. Maybe late forties, early fifties, but early graying.
      I could post this as an image that loads automatically, but in courtesy to the style in the thread, here's a link.
      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3362305336_0afd6f2399.jpg?v=0
      Lots of us have no problem admiring older men as doll models in this western culture. What about women?
      You have some more models in the media now than you used to. But it helps to see and work with admirable older women who look terrific and wield authority with grace. That's hawt, and always will be.
      Some of this discomfort over wrinkles may come from the age of the doll collector. Being of a certain age, as they say, I know perfectly well what older men and women look like, and what looks amazing hawt at these ages correlates much more to good bone structure and to inner character than to smoothness of contour.
      I think a lot of younger folks are misled by seeing actors playing a part as 60 years old or younger when in fact the gauntness of the famous person themselves comes from the fact they are themselves in their seventies or eighties, and still extremely fit.
      Gandalf, anyone?

18. If he fit one of my characters, definitely! There is just something about older men that is enthralling. Especially guys like Sean Connery.

19. Maybe you should read the first post..

this is about a character being 30 not a doll's actually age being 30.

+ thats not even possible.. bjd haven't been around that long yet.
      The oldest i know inrl are 10 right now.

20. Girdethsvoice, I like Drin. That is a beautiful face up/mod.

I think you are right about male vs. female in regards to age portrayal. We still have a long way to in real life to make things equal, and abjds reflect that.

Is there a faq on Minimees? Like a poster above said, a Helen Mirren would be nice. But so would a Judi Dench.