1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't trust a doll over 30?

Apr 11, 2009

?
  1. If it fit the character and was a good sculpt, sure!

2. No way- I like the fact that my dolls won't age.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. i would buy an older looking (60) in a heartbeat, i always wondered if there are older looking dols.
      and buy the way what,s wrong with being over 30 ore 40?

2. I have a female character who is 31 and a male character who is 36 or so, both of whom I plan on dolling eventually. I think I have found a mold for her, but I am having problems settling on a mold for him. I think Iplehouse's Luo works well structure wise, but I think he will need a bit of aging through his faceup to look exactly how I want him too.

So yes, I wouldn't mind seeing older dolls! Even older than the characters I just mentioned. I don't have any characters in their 50s, 60s etc so I don't know if I would buy said dolls, but I think it's an interesting idea for doll companies to take into consideration.

3. I think after having grown up playing with Barbie and her never having an older looking mom doll, I couldn't get into buying a doll that looked older than 30. I don't think that I could have a doll that didn't look relatively young, unless it was a MNM of an older actor/actress that I liked, and even then I probably still wouldn't buy it.

4. I don't see how 30 is old. Adult yeah, but not wrinkled with age spots. There are several sculpts out there that could easily pass for 30's.

Now if you're talking late 60's and up I'd say no because it's important for me that my dolls are dressed in age appropriate clothing and I have no interest in sewing for that age group yet.

5. I remember many moons ago when I used to think turning thirty was old (not old old but old) and then when I actually hit the magical age myself, I really didn't feel or look any different and just didn't think it was such a big deal. I know people older than me who look like they are still in their late teens or early twenties and that's without having any work done. For some reason I keep thinking of that funny line in The Forty Year Old Virgin where the friend says, "Forty is the new twenty!" You're as old as you feel that's for sure.

I do have characters that could pass for being in their teens physically yet are actually a couple of hundred years old because they are either elves or vampires but if an aged doll fits a character in need then I might go for it. I just never really gave it a lot of thought for my own collection just yet. I think if I wanted a grandmother/father or much older wizard type doll, it would be nice to have a more seasoned looking face but that would depend entirely upon the mold.

Oh and yes, I have seen a few really neat, aged faces from DIM Minimee in the gallery so it all just depends on personal taste or the character you're building.

6. I'd love an "old" doll. Getting old is cool in a lot of ways and it's very weird and unnatural for me to see the top-end age for dolls being set at about 25. It reminds me of the "agelessness" of Barbie and fashion dolls, and not in a good way. I like a lot of the aged "artist" dolls on eBay and in doll magazines, when they are well done. Older faces are often a lot more interesting and show more character than standard "balanced" "pretty" "young" faces.

I've also liked many of the Minimees that portray people in their 40s and 50s with lines on the faces of the sculpts.

However, since the BJD audience in many cases seems to want only young, beautiful dolls for perfection or fantasy value, I'd assume an "old" BJD, like a fat BJD, would probably just sell in a limited niche way.

Edited to add, I don't have an age cutoff for the age of dolls I'd want. I saw a "Mother Nature" artist fairy doll on eBay a year or two ago, the doll was made to resemble a woman in her 70s or 80s. The face and body were very well sculpted and realistic. I thought it was lovely, although I'm sure a lot of people would think it was icky because they don't like aged faces and bodies. Que sera sera. I've found that how a person reacts to age is a good predictor of whether I want to spend any time around that person or not.

7. I have a set of boy/girl twins planned and they're 31. ^-^ I'm also considering trying to resinate two other characters of mine, a married couple, their ages being 47 and 50. But so far, I've had so little luck finding good sculpts for them [no surprise there really. xD;;;]. But yes, I think seeing 'older' BJDs would be interesting! <3

8. I think I could admire a very well-done older sculpt, but I myself would never buy it. None of my characters are old at all, and having an old man/woman doll just seems kind of weird to me (though this might also be because I'm pretty young, haha). I suppose I'm just a fan of the younger types of dolls. ^^;;

9. Well I was thinking about boy dolls the other day, when I happened to see that movie "The 13th Warrior".

Now none of those guys was under 30. And if they could make "boy" dolls that looked like the cast of that movie (with the possible exception of that prettyboy Antonio Banderas) I might convert.

Lol

Raven

10. i am waiting on a minimee of a character that is around 49 and the wrinkles look awesome on him. and he will be my first older doll but i am very excited.

11. Ok... I sometimes feel old, but even though I am 34 I look in my early 20's... so that's not funny. And I know plenty of other people who are in their 30's and 40's and still pass for mid to late 20's so let's not go there and what it means to look "old." ;)

That said. I would be fine with a more mature looking doll.

12. I would love an older doll. Especially one that is in her 60s or 70s. She could be a caretaker to the younger dolls and tell them stories like "when i was your age" :lol:. Though i don't think i'd have as much fun dressing up an old lady or old man doll. Maybe thet's why I have like 3 dolls planned that are immortal. They show their age in the way they act.

I don't think it's really important to have a doll that looks your age though. I like dolls of all ages. I do notice some of my friends making their dolls close to their age. My first 3 planned are all ten years younger than me or more. There is something to be said about asthetics and youth though. As at least in my society we gravitate towards the young and the beautiful. Sure there are people of all ages who are young and beautiful though.

13. I would LOVE to see some older dolls. Especially men rather than boys. Now a days any guy under 30 is a boy. :lol: I would also like to see more asian looking dolls, and Hawaiian. Some of the Hawaiians I've seen are really built nice (not pumped up, just more muscles than a skinny boy body.)

14. id def want a more mature doll,i have three, one being a kid and a sd being around 19-21 and a guy who is 23. but i also read somewer that sd's wer meant to be young wen volks made them, like 14 and such o.O anyways i do want a mother figure for my dolls, im going to get a older sister that was suppose to be a mother figure but now im deciding i will cuz IH is coming out with the mature woman, i havent seen her face but im sure she can make a wonderful mother(with a amazing body lol)

15. I would!:) At the moment none of my characters/planned characters is over 27, but it's close ;)

16. I would absolutely love a male doll that looked to be about forty. It seems like most of the males can't pass for anything much more than mid-twenties and the original character that I want to turn into a BJD is significantly older than that. It also seems like most of the older looking male dolls are a bit angry with the way that the lines are added to their faces. A slightly older male with laugh lines around his eyes and mouth would be extraordinary.

17. My thoughts exactly! :D I would LOVE a BJD who looked about 40.
      I do have a character in mind for him.

I don't think a doll who looked 60 - 70 + would interest me at the minute, but I would still love to see a doll like that.
      I bet it would be interesting. :)

18. No, I really like that the dolls are young and my dolls aren't aging.

19. Well, dolls are meant mainly for aesthetic value, and people over 30 are not generally as traditionally "pretty" as teens and 20-something-year-olds. ^^

I wouldn't mind dolls that old, but I don't really see it being popular. Dolls are supposed to be pretty, generally.

20. I think some older looking sculpts would be great, but I have to agree with those who have said that there are plenty of sculpts out there who could pass for being in their thirties. I also have to agree that it is a slight change in facial appearance (thinning of the cheeks and so on) that indicates age more than flaws such as wrinkles. Just moding wrinkles onto a young looking face would not be enough to make it look old.

As for the immortality of dolls, I do find that attractive, but I want to capture my characters at the age at which they are most typically them. I have a character who's life I follow from late teens to early sixties, but when I get a doll of him I want it to look about 45 because that is when he really comes into his own and when most of the story takes place. That is the moment in his life that I want to immortalize in doll form.