1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't trust a doll over 30?

Apr 11, 2009

?
  1. If it fit the character and was a good sculpt, sure!

2. No way- I like the fact that my dolls won't age.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I'd love a sculpt that looked like Vincent Price or Peter Cushing. :aheartbea

2. Ohh man. I'm not sure how well I'd get that to actually work, I'd be real fussy about faceups and clothes being perfect, and dolls based on real people are so difficult to make look not weird and uncanny...but :D

3. I tend to stylistically re-interpret everything because I know I'd never be able to get it totally accurate and it would drive me nuts if I tried. :sweat I know what you mean, though, it would be a major struggle to not be a perfectionist on that one, I'm picturing myself tearing my hair out over a little screen-accurate Grand Moff Tarkin uniform with all that infuriating-looking tailoring and insignia, or one of the wild costumes from The Masque of the Red Death.

Somehow this got me thinking of Sean Connery and I think if there was a sculpt of him it might be more versatile than those two. If my brain worked right I would remember who mentioned real-person sculpts looking a little older in general because of the realism/specific details, that seems to be pretty true. The Tom Hiddleston heads in particular make cool looking older dudes.

4. I would love to see older dolls. Whether or not I would buy them I don't know, but I'm not against it. After all, stories usually have a few characters over 30...for the people that shell characters older sculpts would be a plus. And for those that don't "shell"-- there are so many opportunities with such a unique sculpt, making something original shouldn't be hard.
      I can see why people wouldn't like this, dolls are an "ideal" for many and for most wrinkles don't fit in that ideal. However, getting old is inevitable and will have to be embraced, why not through a doll?

5. A FEW characters over 30 - really? Good grief. Most stories have a LOT of characters over 30 - also 30 is not old as I mentioned earlier, and a LOT of dolls can shell characters in their 30s. It's hard to get an IH EID that DOESN'T look that old, in fact. The best stories have a wide range of characters, all ages, sexes, colors, sizes - or at least the range of people/species (for the fantasy/SF lot) that would be normal for the setting.

6. I would have to agree. If the doll suited the character or look I was going for, I would definitely be interested in one that looked older than the norm in sculpts.

7. I looooove older looking sculpts because a lot of my characters all tend to be 30+ I would be absolutely THRILLED to find a dolly who was in their 40s or older! Not to mention, it would be fabulous to find other body types too [fatter, older, less perky or buff...]
      As much as I LOVE kid and teen dolls, age lines would be such a cool feature on a doll sculpt.

8. I have 2 older minimee's one is johnny depp and one is hugh laurie , house still needs a face up however so.

9. right now Granado's new doll Saturn.S has a lot of wrinkles and aged grey hair. I love it as I find older men quite handsome. The wrinkles on him are quite well done. I'd like to see more "older" dolls as I am 30 and don't think that it is that old :aeyepop:, haha I've got no wrinkles yet!
      Saturn.S

10. My characters are all child like and very innocent. I enjoy dolls that look more like dolls then actual people. The personalities of a doll are also more beautiful when they don't age.

11. The only problem with older looking dolls is they have to be sculpted immaculately or stylized well lest they fall into the uncanny valley. I've seen a couple dolls with a nasolabial crease or crows feet and they freaked me out a little. But that might just be me

12. Sculpting in wrinkles and other signs of aging beautifully might be kinda tough. I suppose I don't see those kinds of dolls selling very well because of that.

13. I think it would be really neat to see a well done older doll. Might help dissuade the idea that dolls are childish. I would buy a doll that was well done in an aged sculpt.

14. Yes!! I would love a doll that was a wise old man or woman.