1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't you wish the companies would use several faceups in their photos?

Jun 10, 2010

1. I don't think they should show faceups they don't offer, but I do think they should always offer a blank photo. I much prefer to see the head blank whenever possible.

2. Blank pictures and maybe a natural and a dark face-up would REALLY help me make decisions when buying a doll.

3. I would absolutely love to see more companies post blank heads (and bodies, but a good number do that part already.) Some of us may have gotten good at looking past a faceup to see the sculpt of a doll, but when you're trying to help newer fans pick a doll it doesn't work so well. @_@ My friend and my sister both suck at looking past the default faceups, so when I point a doll out to them I end up having to scour the forums to find a blank head so they can see what I see in the sculpts...>.< Blank head pictures would save me SO much time...

4. I too agree with the blank head at the end shot. And if someone would listen to our wishes let me also suggest this - straight forward front shot and possible side shot. No head tilts or artistic shadows. The picture could be with make-up or sans but I want a full on, look me in the eye, shot.

5. Yeah, I definitely wish they did. It'd be nice to see the true versatility of a sculpt. I do, however, understand why they don't because they usually offer the photographed faceup for a charge and if they showed a half dozen faceups then that could make it a lot harder on their faceup artists. Since the multiple faceups may not be much of an option, they could easily offer a blank shot so one could really see the sculpt. That is something I would appreciate even more than multiple faceup options. I still don't understand why they don't show blank shots!

6. Firstly I did, but nowadays I do not find weird a company shows a make up which is not on sale. Several make that and it is as strange as clothes, wigs,... shown which are not available either. I have never felt the need of watching more face ups of molds I have looked at. My general way of doing is watching molds at their brands, not by owners' photos - A personal view of the molds - for a first sight. The face-up shown and some others of the same mold showing other items here and there on their stores have been more than enough for me. I do not think it is too practical to see several face ups of a same mold at the company because, if so, why not also with different wigs and different color of eyes? And about the bodies in more different poses and tones. What I think a great idea is the shot of the blank mold at the end to see clearly the base.

7. I would prefer if companies show several blank head shots, one from the front, one from the side, and then one or two different angles, so I can really solidify the image in my mind. It would also be helpful to photograph the same sculpt with more than one wig. :)
      If they don't sell more than one faceup option, it wouldn't be a good idea to photograph it, because people would request that particular faceup style, which the company may or may not want to provide.
      Also, I like what an other post said about NS and WS. It would be nice to see both!

8. blank would be nice, though a quick search on doa usually turns up something, unless it's something really new, or something limited, which would means that by the time you see owner photos, they're gone. or unless it's like, 08 man or something, which doesn't turn up on doa's search engine, now that they don't allow shorter words to be searched. XD

but i think the default facup ns and ws would be nice. and if they could, a comparison photo of ns and ws would be good too, to see the difference.

several faceups to me are not really necessary, since i think most owner photos' faceups provide a better idea of the versatility of the sculpt.

9. Yeah I agree, the first thing I do when I see a doll I like is look on DoA and Flickr for pictures of that doll with different hair/clothes/face-ups because for me it's the only way to get a real grasp of the doll and see if what I want to do with it will work. It would also be nice if they offered more than the default face-up (like Glorydoll has quite a few options) but then again a lot of companies offer custom face-ups so that's not too bad. As for a nude shot, I think that's essential, I hate it when I can't see the body I'm buying >.>

10. I would love that also the blank face and nude body shot would be great, as it's really hard to tell if the dolls what I want from the overposed and over edited photos they alway use.

11. A side shot would be helpful too. I didn't think of that.

12. Actually, I'm okay with just the default face-up pictures, especially since sometimes there's only one type of face-up available anyways. It would be nice if they showed a few of the blank face, though.

13. I think it would be awesome if companies showed more than 1 or 2 face-ups and the same goes for wigs. I am absolutely terrible at figuring out blank sculpts, so I usually need lots of owner photos on good old DOA to show me the potential of a doll! (exceptions are DIM Achernar, IH Kamau and this re-issued SOOM Beryl everyone's going to war over - love at first sight of their promos!)

14. I don't really mind about seeing the doll blank - but I do like it when the company posts a couple of photos of the head sculpt, straight and side on, without a wig. Luts have started doing this with their newer dolls, and I think it's really helpful. Most of the publicity photos are so arty and overdone that it's hard to see what the doll really looks like otherwise.

15. A blank would be so helpful imo, I would know what I was buying if I, say, didn't want to get the make-up that makes this doll look ugly and dead XD I've never said that yet but I am pretty sure one day I will see a doll that scars me and makes me want to cringe XD

16. I'd love to see a blank head/body pic as often as possible, for sure. I don't usually have much difficulty seeing sculptural detail through the faceup, but others I know do, and whenever I ask their opinions on scults I always have to remind myself half of their opinion is based on the doll's current look.
      Whenever a company does provide pictures of the blank, untouched head and/or body, I'm definitely more prone to purchase from that company, because I always end up feeling a bit more sure of how much I like the sculpt than if I see only a painted version.

Pictures of other faceups would be nice, too, if only to show how certain parts of the sculpt can be enhanced by a bit of paint. However, I'd definitely prefer to see blank head/body pics than alternate faceups. Alternate faceups are easy to find within owner pics, blank face pics are not always.

17. i definitly wish that companies would provide the nudes and blank face of the doll. also i would like the measurements of the doll to be there. often times when i am planning a new doll or reworking one i like to go to different companies i haven't used before and look through there selections of wigs and shoes.

but i noticed on some sights like DOD ( for many of their dolls) there are no measurements or information about what wig size or shoe size is good. and whats weird about DOD is that they used to have precise measuremens available at the bottom of every series of pictures of a mold but o well.

when it comes to the different faceups usually i will look at any limiteds or speacials the company may have of that same mold, like iplehouse has a doll named Asa that i love. they have her shown with i think 3-4 different faceups if you look at all the limiteds and basic page. but if the company doesn't have any other examples i find that my best bet is to go online, usually to DOA, and search for that doll. when you search for a doll of interest you can ask an owner questions and get to see the doll looking in all different kinds of ways.

i know i am rambling on but i wanted to add that one doll i have wanted for a long time, a md ryu, i have collected a huge amount of photos of from owners of that doll and seeing how versatile this mold is has really helped me realize how much i love him.

omg sry for this being so long i am tired, anyways hope that helps!

18. yes, blank sculpt pictures and various face ups would be very nice to see :3

especially blank faces

19. I would like it if more companies would show pictures of blank sculpts, yes.

20. I always look through doa at owner pictures for different face-ups and blank pics. but what about for a brand new doll pre-order that no one owns yet?

i think different face-ups, even if they weren't options to buy, would still be appreciated in a situation like that. it sort of breaks the "image" of the doll the company might be trying to sell, but i think owners would appreciate it.