1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Elf or Human Ears? Doll Preferences & Choices

Apr 9, 2016

1. I like elf ears, but they can't be too long. A small point at the tip is fine. :3nodding: It sucks that I can't seem to find a head with elf ears that I like. They're either too pointy, or too human-like...:(

2. I like the way elf ears look but I'm not sure if I'd ever buy a doll that had them. I don't have any characters in mind that have elf ears. If I did get a doll that had them I think it'd be really paranoid about breaking them since they're so delicate. So I think I'll just stick to human ears for now.

3. I prefer human ears. I think some of the elf ears are cute but they just aren't my style. I'm not really into fantasy characters as it is.

4. I personally prefer human ears on my dolls but if I found a sculpt that I really liked that had elf ears it wouldn't bother me

5. Elf ears all the way! I seem to prefer fantasy looking bjds over human looking ones, so most of the time I'll rule out ones with human ears.

6. I like both! :D depending on the character, pointy ears/interesting ears can suit. The thing I worry about though is how fragile elf ears can be :(

7. Elf years all my life!!! <3

8. Love elf ears >v<; wish more of my dolls had them!

9. Human ears are my default choice unless I specifically have a fantasy character in mind:)

10. All the characters I have to shell, except one, are elves. The one that isn't an elf is still a race with pointed ears. However, when it comes to shelling them, the face is the most important. Most of my dolls currently have human ears, but I figure that's something that I can learn to mod to make them fit their characters better.

11. I enjoy both! More humans than elves but I go with whether I love the sculpt, not the ears. If there is an option to have human OR elf ears for a sculpt, I choose whatever fits the character best.

Personally I also enjoy the different variety of elf ears available, whether it is cute little points or long, tapered and elegant or something else entirely (Shinydoll Eefee, I am looking at you).

12. I prefer human ears when choosing my dolls, but natural & simple elf ears can be nice. I wouldn't avoid getting a doll because of elf ears (there are other things that bother me more, such as vampire teeth T_T), but I've considered sanding them down. On the other hand, some sculpts look much cuter with elf ears, such as the Dollstown Elf line which is adorable. :chibi

13. I like both. But it depends on the character that I'm hoping to create.

I like the idea of pointed ears for a few demons that I have planned but nothing too wild.

14. From what I've seen, elf ears are beautiful but I prefer human ears cause I tend to think of my doll as human. Mermaid ears are also very pretty though. I wonder if we'd ever be able to interchange ear styles?

15. I originally didn't even consider getting a doll with elf ears. However, a prospect came up with the possibility of upgrading to elf ears with no extra charge. Since I'm planning on a woman with a fantasy-ish theme (with horns), it didn't sound so bad after all. It really depends on the character.

16. Sometimes - I like big elf ears, so If I want the doll to be an elf then I want them to have the ears for it.

It depends on the character of the doll, I suppose - both are good.

Sticking out ears doesn't make them less realistic - some people have stickingout ears - and so do some dolls. I like the Ninodoll Anna sculpt, for example, partly because of the sitcking out ears. I think it's a nice, realistic, touch. When I had an Anna visiting for a few months, I put her in a wig that showed off the ears.

Teddy

17. You can exchange the ears on some Volks dolls. I have an Irvin that came with human and elf ears, and I think you can order two pairs of ears now when you buy their FCS elf heads. They have 5-6 shapes to choose from if I'm remembering it right.

18. I'm going to have to say I have a stronger preference for elf ears. Not because I have a bias against human eared dolls, but because all my planned doll characters call for elfin ears.

All of mine are going to be based on characters I'm designing for a (graphic) novel I've got in the works, and all the humanoid characters have elfin ears. They won't be elves in the traditional sense, but they will have the ears. Hence why the preference for elf ears.

But I do have a head lying around I have a separate character planned for that will have human ears, and my only msd girl has human ears. Sadako I got some years before I got back into the hobby, so she's not a part of the current storyline I've got in the works.

I like them with a little bit of length, but those really long and pointy, really droopy, or just rather unusual looking ones aren't really to my tastes. I like them to be more than a human ear with a bit of a point though:). Also, I'm more focused on SDs, so the smaller ones don't really catch my attention.

19. Elf ears are cute but I like the normal human ears. I also think pixie would be cute or something with elf/human hybrid

20. I can't really get into the whole elf ear thing but I think it's cool that there are dolls for all tastes out there I really like human ears my boy's ears stick out quite a bit his wig is a bit poofy so they aren't really that visible but when he wears long wigs it's a lot easier to tuck behind his ear with those ears of his