1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Elf or Human Ears? Doll Preferences & Choices

Apr 9, 2016

1. I have enough human dolls and am now focusing on a variety of elf earred dolls. I love all kinds of elf ears but am not fond of droopy faun ears.

2. I love my elf-eared dolls, but I also have plenty of "human" characters who need less fantasy-styled ears. I also love the range of other fantasy-style ears, like the mermaid ones I've been seeing lately, and I'm on the hunt for some long-eared elves, too.

There's a few companies that let you do that! I know Volks has some, and Magic Time dolls also have swappable ears. I'm sure I've seen others, too, so they're out there!

3. Supia has a lot of dolls who come with both elf and human sets of ears :3nodding:

4. I think it depends on what you like :) I like elf concept and also love elf, too, but most of doll that I have are human ears, Because most of doll concept are from Now... just normal and common characters.

5. I usually prefer human ears, but then again I'm less into the fantasy aspect of BJDs (at least for my own collection). If there was a sculpt that I really liked that had elf ears though, I'd happily consider buying it. :)

6. I think I prefer human ears, just because I don't know if I want a themed doll. I think human ears are just a default, plain option lol. I do own a doll with elf ears though.

I think I would go for elf ears if I wanted to do a really cool themed doll. Like, unnatural eyes, tattoos, crazy hair, fantastic outfits, etc. Something special.

Currently I am just fiddling around with "normal" looking faceups, and sewing typical everyday clothing. If I start to feel like making something awesome and special, then I'll go for elf ears :P

7. I love the ears that fairyland uses for their dolls.. any kind of ears that look pointy and fairy(ish) are great!

8. I prefer human ears, what captivates me most is the expression of the eyes. Good luck to you with your choice.

9. I wasn't expecting to be a fan of elf-eared dolls, but three of the four dolls I own or have ordered have elfen ears. Alistair and Johanna both have elf ears, and Chloe will too. I wanted something to show that these characters aren't 100% human, and elf ears seemed like the best bet.

#69 RagingMoon1987, Aug 9, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    10. I would prefer human ears, unless the character calls for elven ears.
      But I do love the elven ears. They make a sculpt just pop!

11. It all depends on the character. Elf ears are beautiful but if I don't need them for the character, I'll move on. I find it's easier to mod a human ear into an elf than the other way around so I tend to go for human.

12. Elf ears for me! But I guess they would look weird on a human doll? Someone in this thread suggested sanding them down a bit so they have a small point..that's a good idea!

13. i worry more about if i love the sculpt or not bc ik i can always add elf ears later on ^^

14. I have some elf characters, so naturally for those I want elf eared dolls. :U

But just aesthetically speaking, I prefer the human ears. I feel like its harder to make elf ears look nice?

15. Would love some fantasy dolls but sadly, it didn't fit into their characters. Stuck with human ears for now :lol:

16. Honestly I almost exclusively like fantasy dolls so elven ears are a huge plus for me :D

17. discreet elf pointed ears that aren't exaggerated and stick out so I can hide them with a wig if need be

18. I actually have one elf ear girl, my Luts Kid Delf Ani Elf...but sadly you can't really see her little elf peaks when she wears most wigs.

I definitely love any elf ear types; long or short, pointing every which way. Variation is the spice of fantasy life. ;)

As for ears in general, the cartoon-y round types don't appeal to me at all. I prefer something a bit more realistic or a simplified version of realistic - if that makes any sense. :XD:

19. I like human and animal ears. Elveears i dont like.

20. I normally decide based on the overall aesthetic of the sculpt and the finer details like their noses, eye shapes... but the size of the ears is definitely one of the factors. I don't want them to be too big... seemingly elephant-like. I don't have anything against elf-ears, but I'd choose human ears probably because all of the dolls I have in my plans are humans.