1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Environmentally friendly/safe resin

Dec 15, 2009

1. Good point !

2. My Dylan has a slight smell that I can smell on him and it smells like oranges, very light and he is the older type resin that was orange/yellow. IF he were truly French Resin he would be yellow like my Supia Roda from 2007, she turned yellow in 6months and was originally Pinky White French Resin:(

3. Another newer company, Impldoll, is also manufacturing their dolls in this same kind of resin. I swore it was french resin, and knowing the my home enviroment is not the friendliest to fast yellowing dolls, I looked elsewhere, but haven't found dolls I like as much as these. That being said, though, I don't think I'm alone in that I want to know a lot more about how this plastic works before I put a few hundred dollars down.

Good-
      Enviromentally friendly (organic) materials
      Super strong
      Less likely to yellow
      Nice texture
      Pleasant smell

Bad-
      Can possibly decompose?!

But if the decomposure thing is true, does anyone here know how long would it actually take to show signs of it? 5 years? 10 years? 50 years??

4. Ellanie: Hrm, I really do wonder how long it would take for it to decompose...I don't really know much about environmental resin, but I think it's the same type that blueblooddoll, Ondormi, and islanddoll use, based on the semi-translucent appearance?

Though it DOES look a bit appearance to french resin, yeah, I've heard it yellows much slower~

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to something on Environmental Resin~

5. I was acutally going to start a discussion on enviromental resin when I found this thread. If the OP doesn't mind, maybe they could change it?

It does seem like the 'new thing' of sorts with BJDs. Enviromental resin looks gorgeous to me, and having the beneficial properties of both urethane and french makes it even more appealing.

But I'm not buying any doll that will break down to bits in my lifetime!

6. :( After reading all these posts, I feel so sad. I bought ringdoll Lily, she's my first doll. I don't want anything to happen to her, I'd be so crushed. I'm kind of scared now, so far she has not yellowed or anything, but it may be too soon to tell. I feel a kind of discouraged.

7. Hummmmm....decompose ???
      I don't think I mind the yellowing but decomposing ???
      You're joking ???? That is totally scary .

8. Perhaps it will decompose if left in a harsh enviroment... outside in the dirt or water or if it is exposed to an oil.

Ellanie, I don't mind changing the title of this thread. I will just change it to "Environmentally friendly/safe Resin" for now.

9. Everything biodegrades eventually. Normal plastic bags take at least a hundred years. Cigarette butts about twelve years. Resin? Probably the same as plastic bags if not longer, and remember, it has to be in certain conditions for the process to start, so with good care a resin doll should last forever. As for UV discolouration, that is unavoidable but can be greatly reduced by proper care of your doll.

Personally, I'd just enjoy my dolls as they are and not worry too much about them turning yellow. Everything ages eventually and it is totally unavoidable so why worry? Heck, I am sure that I am greying with age but that does not decrease my desirability any... ;)

Phil.

10. Wow, fascinating stuff! I can't wait to hear more about this new type of resin. And Jrod1195, please don't worry. Even if you buried your doll in your backyard I'm sure it would take hundreds of years to decompose. :sweat

11. Even the thought of anything happening to her long after I'm gone kills me. xD

12. That's pretty encouraging to know.

13. Yes , so true and we learn about "impermanence" ...good reminder.
      Reminds me of the Beatle's song " Will you still love me when I'm 64 ??? " hahahahahaha

JROD : Just enjoy the "now" , why worry as long as it doesen' biodegrade in your hands, hahahahahaha
      Maybe after 20 yrs you won't even care anymore and have moved on with some other hobby.

14. Bumping the heck out of this thread! I'm still very interested in getting an environmental resin doll or two, and still terrified of the doll breaking down. :sweat

15. I've done a couple of Google searches on this. Ringdoll claims to use a chemical made by MOTIchem Canada. But there doesn't seem to be a MOTIchem corporation in Canada. There's a Multichem corporation, based in Texas, that has a Canadian branch, that produces a variety of chemicals, but a search on their site for "resin" turned up nothing. Then there is a Moti Chem Center corporation in India, however. They sell sulfuric acid, etc. But they are certainly not Canadian.

I dug a little deeper and found a 2 part resin called MOTICHEM RP600 on an international trading board. It's a 2 part resin and part B is highly flammable. It was being shipped from Shenzen China, and I would guess it's being made there, not Canada. Perhaps someone who can read Chinese (or lives in Canada) could investigate further.

Until Ringdoll or other companies produce an MSDS sheet (materials safety data sheet) or similar I'm not convinced. In the US, food manufacturers can call their product "natural" but the term means nothing. Until the term "environmentally friendly" is codified, the term is also meaningless.

16. This is an interesting idea in general. I also wonder if there are safety data sheets for all the doll companies we buy from?

17. MSDS sheets are for raw materials. So if you were buying hydrochloric acid, or raw resin or whatever, the shipment would contain such a sheet, telling you how to be safe around the material, cancer risks, proper disposal, etc. Once a resin is completely polymerized it is no longer dangerous, so an MSDS sheet would no longer be needed. But if the companies producing "environmental resin" were to provide such a sheet for their raw materials we could get a better idea if in fact it is environmentally friendly.

And just because a product is made with natural raw materials like corn or pine sap or whatever, doesn't mean that the end product is good for the environment. For instance, biodiesel fuel is made from used cooking oil (good), plus lye (a natural chemical that is pretty dangerous as is) and methanol (also dangerous and poisonous). The end product is better for the environment than diesel fuel made from crude oil, but its still pretty nasty stuff. So whether or not something is environmental depends on the whole production process, including what the company is using for all of its raw materials, and how they are getting rid of their wastes.

My husband is an environmental biologist and he has a lot to say about the "green" revolution that is going on. Some companies (in the US and elsewhere) are making a real effort to go green. Others are jumping on the bandwagon and making claims that can't be justified.

Sadly the same is happening with "organic" foods. A major US natural foods chain, for instance, has been importing much of its "organic" vegetables and spices from China. The problem is that there is no oversight-- there is no way to ascertain if these vegetables were really grown with organic techniques. In some cases, nasty (even carcinogenic) residues have been found in these products.

So until I find out what "environmental resin" is, I'm not gonna believe it.

Sorry for going on and on about this, but it bugs me when companies make claims without backing them up.

18. My boy is Ringdoll Pan and yes, they smell really nice! Once you open the box, you get a whiff of fragrance that smells really 'fresh'!
      I'm glad I wasn't just crazy for sniffing him, sometimes. The skin IS very smooth and they are translucent, especially at the tips of their toes and fingers.

They are made beautifully, the pictures just don't seem to do them justice! :)
      They are also quite affordable too! (God he smells good)

And as far as decomposing??!!
      I Really doubt we would ever be around long enough to see our dolls decompose.
      I personally wish to enjoy the hobby and know it's basic specs.
      Not break it down bit by bit.
      It is VERY hard to find something 100 percent environment friendly.

Even if the materials are friendly, the labor could be careless. :(
      It's a gamble.

19. From what I understand, 'environmental' resin is a type of polyurethane that uses organic polyols instead of chemical, so it's based on things like vegetable oils, but there is still isocyanates in the hardner. I still wouldn't eat it or pour it in a water supply, but from what I've read it is stronger than regular PU, and less likely to yellow. As for decomposing, I don't think it would be an issue. When it comes to sanding, I would still be weary and protect myself from any dust particles. Not because the particles themselves are toxic, but because the body may not be able to break them down, and instead forms a tissue shell around each particle, which would f.ex inhibit full lung function if the particles were lodged in the lungs.

20. OoO ... Am I dreaming or is this real?!