1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternally preserving your dolls may be a reality?

Jul 14, 2010

1. Thank you so much for for the link! :) I would be willing to use this on my dolls, absolutely. So long as I'd seen it tested on a doll beforehand and it worked like it sounds like it will, I would use it. I might have to see about testing some myself. I'll certainly be keeping up with the development of this product and see how it goes.

2. I would love something like that to preserve body blushing. Thanks to Soom's low slung genitals on their male MAs my lovely blushing got scraped off by the thigh. :| If it would cut down on scuffs by clothing or jewelry that would be wonderful. Oooh! If you could spray it on the inside of a dark wig maybe that would keep it from staining? :D

3. I would love to use this. My elfdoll wu had a beatiful faceup by an artist who no longer paints dolls, I was deversated when it started to peel.

4. That is simply amazing and I can't wait to get my hands and try it out in so many ways!!

5. I think this would be amazing on a blank doll.
      I would like to know if you would be able to Faceup over it though.

I would like to know if it is safe on Resin though. Staining my doll is one of my biggest fears! D:

6. You can't do a faceup over it because nothing would stick.

It definitely wouldn't stain, however I can't guarantee it doesn't have other effects. Therefore, I think research and experimenting on small parts must be done.

7. There have been some limiteds in the past where the faceup was one of my favorite parts, so if I ever got one of those, this might come in useful for keeping it pristine (though I would hope that if the company did a good job sealing it, then not touching the face and being careful with the doll would be able to achieve the effect.)

My biggest concern would be spraying it hamhandedly and ending up with a big GLOB of sealer somewhere on that gorgeous limited faceup, which you wouldn't be able to remove until it wore off by itself. Scary! Someone else would have to spray it for me XD

8. This is a silicon dioxide product called a siloxane, and from the info available at the site, it behaves similarly to certain car protectants already on the market. For instance "rain-x" is a chemical you can spray on your windshield, causing rain to bead up and roll off. This product apparently has a slightly different chemistry, but behaves the same-- it makes a slick surface that would cover the tooth needed for paints, etc. to attach to the surface. It would also impart a really high shine.

Also, a lot of people who have used "rain-x" and similar products have complained about it wearing off unevenly, and causing a haze that actually makes driving worse. But of course, it's hard to remove, so those drivers are stuck until it's gone.

To me that translates to a splotchy, frustrating finish on a doll after a while.

Edit: Also, according to the MSDS, it's alcohol based, which means it would strip away any sealer already on the doll (and possibly the faceup, too)

9. I dont think I'd use this on a doll but this looks awsome for cleaning counter tops and stoves. O_O

10. This is my concern, too. I know a lot of people layer their MSC with the layers of pastel or airbrush, and so on, so this would maybe have to be a final 'top coat' over the existing Testors/MSC/etc. if it was to be used at all.

11. I'd spray my entire shower with it. Goodbye mildew!!

It sounds good to use as a top coat over the entire blushing/faceup once it is complete. I just hope it wouldn't give a weird texture to the doll once it's done. I love the way resin feels and it would be a shame to alter that so much...

12. If it doesn't react badly with resin and paints and MSC... I think the stuff would be GREAT! I have a lot of limited dolls and One-offs with blushing that I'd love to preserve.

I bet that such a thin coat would come off with sanding if one REALLY needed to remove it, though...

13. This product claims to come in a water-based version. Sounds like a slightly different product you're describing; this one doesn't make said surface shiny, as it's too thin to be seen. I posted a video earlier in this thread that shoes a tie that has been treated with this liquid glass. As it's invisible, there would obviously be no visible splotchiness. (Of course, that's just what it claims and what the video shows, I can't prove it.)

It says that one coat is only a nanometer thick, the rest is water. That's too thin to be detected with human touch/sight/etc.

14. If it's doll-compatible, I'm all for it! I'm not talented with face-ups, nor do I plan on having them changed every so often, so up to a year of guaranteed protection is welcome for someone like me! They're more semi-permanent than permanent, so I'm not so concerned about them staying that way forever. I don't treat my dolls like they're made of glass, so they're usually out and about. Not having to curb my enthusiasm would be great. :XD:

15. If this was tested on many doll brands, types of resin, and had a matte finish, I would definitely be interested. But only if it was used in many many experiments and had successful results. For some reason it seems a little unnatural or too good to be true for those of us who don't like change.

16. I wonder if it is possible to use it as a base sealant (like, have a blank head/body, put on the liquid glass and then do the faceup/body blushing like you normally would over it). Because, I would be all in for it. I don't know why I'm so concerned with having my boy not yellow since I don't ever plan on selling him, but I am and this is something that I would very much implement. I hope someone does experiments with this soon.

EDIT: Wow. I really should read the thread before posting. SIIIIGH. Anywho, still wanting experimentation before saying ye/nay.

17. It's an intriguing idea, but it seems if you use this over your doll's faceup and it has a matte finish, you'll no longer have the option of glossed lips or eyelids. I prefer having that option, so I would have to say that I'd stick with traditional methods unless the liquid glass proves to be phenomenal beyond all predictions.

Linda S.
      galatia9

18. Man, I would LOVE this! I have a one-off who can't leave the room much because I am afraid of damaging the faceup. I am not big into redoing faceups... All of my kids keep their default faceup if they come with one.

(watched video)

Man, that is just the coolest thing... god, what WOULDN'T I spray???

19. Maybe this could seal vinyl and prevent staining? That's a consideration for Dollfie Dream and Obitsu enthusiasts...and there are a few of us.

20. This is how I feel, as well. I'd love to be able to permanently preserve faceups - my dolls are an attempt to create physical representations of pre-existing characters. As such, I have no desire to change their faceups, and once I have a faceup that "suits" the character, I worry that it will be damaged (or that normal wear will necessitate its replacement).

And if I didn't have to worry about the chipping/wearing off/texture-change-of-MSC that's part and parcel of body blushing, I'd actually have dolls that were blushed!

But there are a lot of things I would want to know first. Will it change the texture of my dolls? Will it change the colors of the paints, pastels, etc, that have been applied to the dolls? How durable is it - will it need to be reapplied regularly, and if so, how often? And, of course, is it safe for resin? (Though if it's safe for clothing AND plants - and apparently it is, according to the articles I've read thus far - I can't imagine that it would be harmful to resin. But these things can surprise you, so I'd want to test it on some of my random spare parts before I did anything with any of my dolls.)