1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternally preserving your dolls may be a reality?

Jul 14, 2010

1. If it turned out to be safe on resin, I'd love to use it on a body blushed doll. Due to handling my dolls alot when I sew, I have never had them blushed....it would just wear off.
      I'd only put it on the faceup if it was perfect. (or limited)

2. Exactly what I was thinking. And given the way they use it in the video you could use it to seal clothes as well if you wanted to have the option to blush/do face-ups etc frequently.

3. I like the idea, I really do. Though, if it couldn't be removed I might hesitate. What if I decided to change the face-up? Still though, it sounds nice to be able to preserve a doll. Especially if it has some sort of special face-up or is a limited edition!

4. I don't think it would prevent yellowing. I didn't see anything in the video that would suggest a UV protection. In fact it said that they were thinking of coating plants and that this spray would not affect their photosynthesis, also the name liquid glass. Glass does not prevent a doll from yellowing from the sun or heat and I doubt silica would either. It is an interesting product though, and it would be nice to have the option of a more permanent sealant for body blushing, tattoos, or face-ups that the owner is 100% sure about.

5. i think it SOUNDS cool, if someone expiraments it's affect on dolls it would be a big help <3 but untill then i'm not gonna touch the stuff... but ive seen a doll that woar blue jeans (they were fabulous looking jeans) but left the doll all blue around the thighs DX if they had coated the jeans with this stuff i can imagine the happyness~ >:3
      if they create a version of the liquid ESPECIALLY for dolls- that is tested in extreme heat/coolness to slow the ageing process that would be amazeing <3

6. i wouldnt use on the faceups Ô_o i changed my boys faceup 6 times since i had him
      i would probably put in UNDER the faceup and the whole body. i'm pretty sure once you put this product on, you can put a coat of MSC on it. i dont see why we couldnt.
      I would really want to buy it actually! 8D

7. Wow! This sounds very promising! I just hate it when a body blushing is worn and scratched, so this stuff could be the answer as long as it's matte. Idea of using it on a wig sounds pretty weird, but I wouldn't mind coating my own white shoes with it! ;) When it comes to market I'll definitely test it. But I think I'll start with a 2nd hand barbie or something and some resin waste before trying it on my dolls. I know I'd love to save my Elfdoll Yumi and Dami just the way they are forever. Some other dolls may prefer to keep the option of changing their face up.

I think this is more of a over-coating that base as it is advertised to repel everything, also MSC.

8. Seconding this. It could be like the fifth grade science fair all over again. This sounds good, but some serious testing is needed. And I for one would find doing the tests fun.

9. You could not, actually. Nothing sticks to liquid glass, not even MSC. Therefore this is impossible, you cannot put this under a faceup.

I think a lot of people here are missing a vital point: this is actually only semi-permanent. It says it lasts for about a year by itself before recoating is required on household surfaces, so dolls should be the same depending of course on how much the doll is handled. It doesn't actually mean FOREVER. I'm pretty sure it could be removed, I just don't know what the best way to do it is.

Also, people seem to be talking about having a certain finish. This stuff is invisible. It has no finish. It has no appearance, period. It's all but invisible, too thin to be seen with human eyes.

As for protecting against UV rays; it does because the Nanopool (company who makes this?) website says it does. XD I can't prove or disprove this until it is tested, but for the moment, that's the best answer I have. It also says it's resistant against heat. With those two factors combined, it would slow the yellowing process; although, since it is breathable, it would not stop oxidation so I think it wouldn't stop it completely.

TL;DR: Replying to common points that I feel need an answer, important stuff in bold.

10. Holy crap! It's like Teflon with a vengeance!

I have a faceup or two I absolutely adore and would love to preserve them forever- that is, as long as they are my characters. Sometimes after a while I see a new head & body sculpt and I recast the doll entirely. At that time, I'd have to consider what if I want to sell my doll and the next owner would probably want to change the faceup.

[add edit] Oops! Didn't see the response above while I was posting mine. If this stuff can be removed (or basically wears off after a year), I would totally go for it. o_O

11. Sounds like an upsell. Sounds too good to be true. I am skeptical of how safe this product actually is to use everywhere. Dolls should actually be a decent target for it, but for food preparation and surfaces subject to knife and tool use? Abrasion and impacts will slowly flake off the surface, "bonded" or not! (And it does flake off over time it seems anyway.)

"Glass" is common and generally safe, but it is not completely harmless. Ever dealt with broken glass? Tiny shards everywhere, with fine glass dust you cannot easily see and can easily breathe in. The fine glass slowly but surely shreds your lungs. See silicosis. It just feels like there's the potential to be 21st century asbestos to me, heralded for its miracle properties without adequate testing regarding long-term exposure. And all for $8 a bottle in the near future to the general consumer? I am afraid. Very afraid.

But again, for dolls it should work admirably. (We don't abuse dolls, right? :)) I'd take it for faceups, no question.

12. I think this would be great...if it wears over time then over time you could just redo what you wanted to redo!! I like the idea of the dolls not yellowing over time. I guess there are some goods aspects to this and of course the drawbacks too. But over time all ideas and discoveries are perfected and even new and better ideas stem from old. I think this is a step in a positive direction.

13. I wonder if you could still face-up your doll with this stuff on. It sounds really awesome, and it's so thin you won't see it. 100 nanometers, that is only a 10.000th of a millimeter... that's really really thin and not visible to the eye. So I don't think you will see glossy or matte effects at all on your doll. It sounds like a miracle product. I'd certainly wait to hear the results on dolls and consider it :) especially for that price, if it's not going to cost more after all.

14. I wonder if it would affect the gloss and matte finished on your dolls faceup? make the gloss look more flat or the matte more gloss? i want to take a can of msc to a window now lol

15. Hmmm...if we were too scared to try it on our dolls themselves, we could always spray the inside of their clothes to prevent staining. I would love to eliminate the fear of my boys' butts becoming black from some pants. And as mentioned, spraying the elastic band on a wig could prevent staining there too...

I know I'm with the "test on 100 different types of dolls before using" group though. I would hate to spray one of my precious babies to find out that it like, rots them or something terrible (even if it's supposedly water-based, you never know how it will react with other sealants). I don't have a problem with permanently sealing my doll's faceups though. I get very attached to them the way they come to me, and I couldn't imagine wiping it, ever.

Very intriguing...I really want to just play with it.

16. Wow, this stuff sounds very promising. I'd definitely spare the whole body to prevent staining. Imagine being able to put ANY clothing on your doll without worry!

I don't think it would PREVENT faceups from fading over time, though it might delay it. I'd be all for this, since it wears off, presumably you could scrub it off with a Mr Clean Eraser, and knowing if your doll got splattered with something you could just take a wet sponge or cloth to it would be wonderful.

And just think about all the people that have wanted to do photostories with fake blood...you could do it and not worry.

17. In case this proves to be safe on resin yadda yadda yadda, then I'd be all over it, that's for sure.
      Not for all of my dolls, I like to change my first one all the time, so such a permanent coating wouldn't do us any favor. But when I think about a few other dolls that I'd like to get eventually, a few of them with gorgeous LE face ups that I would never ever even think about wiping anyways, this product would be for me.

Maybe it's actually useful living in Germany now 8D

18. I'd be all for (semi)permanently sealing my dolls' face-ups and blushing. But I didn't really find anything that said this stuff was resistant to scratching or rubbing off. If it does rub off, it wouldn't really work with full body blushing since the rubbing at joints is my greatest fear and the reason I haven't gotten any for my dolls. On the other hand, it would calm down the people who do want to change the face-ups of ther dolls.

It needs some testing, yes, but I'm looking forward to this!

19. Holy crap, YES!!! Just as long as there are no side-effects, I would so effing buy a can and coat my lovelies in it. I want them to last for generations!:D

20. Hmm. I wonder if a gecko could climb something coated in this. Currently, the only known material that a gecko's footpads can't stick to is Teflon. I'd be curious to know if this also has excessively low van der Waals forces, and that is part of/the source of its amazing "repellent" powers.

From this web page:
      Based on that, I would not be at all surprised to learn that van der Waals interactions are somehow involved. Though from what they're saying, it sounds like they're more likely the answer to the "how the heck does it bond" question. It's only recently that we've begun to understand (and study - and attempt to replicate) the adhesive abilities of gecko footpads, which are due to van der Waals interactions. So it makes sense that a product like this would be developed now.