1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternally preserving your dolls may be a reality?

Jul 14, 2010

1. VERY interesting, something to keep an eye on.

personally i don't change faceups on my dolls and if this really worked and is indeed not harmful to resin and more importantly to humans, then i would want to use this to preserve my dolls.

2. bluh, it sucks then! that just mean you wont be able to remove the faceup when you want >.>;; it'll decide when its time to redo it! D:<

3. The press release/pseudo-news story describing this stuff says that the thickness of the liquid glass when applied is 100 nm. It also says it's transparent, not invisible.

Hate to get all physic-y on you, but:

If you have seen a soap bubble or a sheen of gasoline on a puddle, you have seen a thickness of 100nm or less. Depending
      on the makeup of the chemical and its interaction with light you may see colors (the changing colors of these two examples depend on the thinness of the layer-- ever notice how a soap bubble changes colors dramatically just before it pops? That's because it's getting thinner and interfering with light differently), and you will see a shine-- as it is reflecting light to your eye.

So even though soap bubble solution and gasoline are colorless, in thin films they are definitely visible.

Most likely the same is true for this liquid glass stuff. It covers an object so that bacteria, dirt, etc., cannot cling and grow. That means it's ultrasmooth. Things that are ultrasmooth tend also to be shiny.

On another website, a company rep confirmed that indeed Van Der Waals forces are involved.

4. I wonder if spraying it with Liquid Glass, then putting MSC over it, THEN putting the faceup on top would work.
      Maybe the MSC would stick? Just maybe.

5. I don't think I would bother. My doll isn't handled in such a destructive matter that I would need something like that. While I love my dolls face-ups and generally dont plan to change my doll once they're "right" I'd still rather just deal with MSC, especially if this stuff breaks down whenever it feels like it anyway. May as well have the option to change my doll available.

6. It seems really interesting but I would only use it if I can still add to it.

I do not really believe it would not be affected by sealants so doing faceups on it should still be possible as well as modding...

But we should really wait for people to test it and if it works I am totally going to do it on mine!!

7. It sounds like a cool product. But, in some ways, it sounds too good to be true. I would love to forever preserve my doll, since I have no intention of wiping and faceup, but I will definitely wait until it has been tested by the doll community first.

I would, in a heartbeat, buy this product to protect things like my vaans shoe; but I would hold off on using it on anything as expensive as a doll until it was given the thumbs up.

8. I thought this stuff broke down like once a year? I dont really see how thats randon, and the truly paranoid like me could simply reapply it ever 10 months or so, virtually prolonging the faceups life by leaps and bounds. It would be like super msc that you would never have to clean with a magic scrub eraser and that would allow us to stop worrying about our dolls so much. But that also means after a year or so you could in fact change the faceup of your doll, or the body blush, etc. Or famous faceup artists could offer to spray their work before shipping it out, our dyed dollls could finally have the play time theyve been wanting, and we can rest easy with our blushed soom parts. im definately all for this

9. I really like the idea of this if the coating won't be glossy.

The notion of my dolls yellowing is something I really dread, and if that can be prevented to an extent, that would be absolutely wonderful. It would also be nice to keep face-ups I love for a much more extended amount of time.

The only reason why I wouldn't want to go to Okura is because alogue is having a meet-up there on the 24th. Considering that her meet-up is only another week away, I would say that we skip this time. I really hope that the weather cools down a bit because I would love to have the meet-ups at Longwood Gardens more often. It just seems a bit redundant to do something so similar both times (even if it's not just Okura, but any restaurant).

10. I'm not sure about this. There are so many questions. What if it comes off uneven and splotchy? What if the only way to get it off is by using something that is bad for the dolls? What if it alters resin colour or texture? And beyond that, what if you ever, for any reason, have to sell the doll? It would harder to sell, of course.
      All of that aside, it is appealing for tanning or dying dolls. And it would be very nice to be able to just spray to body once blushing is done so there's no worry about chipping and not spray the face so faceups can still be redone. But because this would protect against yellowing, you'd eventually end up with a yellow head and no yellowing on the body.

To me to bad outweighs the good and I wouldn't use it on a doll unless it is proven to be safe for resin, removable (also without harming resin), and not alter the resin in any way. And even then I'd still be very careful.

11. If that would prevent them from yellowing I wouldn't say no. I like my dolls so much and if they can be like the very first day they arrive I would give it a chance.

12. manachann: i already asked this question and apparently no you cant. if you scroll back up a bit you will see the answer i got in quote :)

13. Sounds like a cool idea, but alot of you hit the nail on the head. We would have to test it out on our spare parts to know the real answers before even thinking of applying this to the entire doll.

14. Interesting! I would use it on clothes and shoes and wigs, to keep them from getting dirty or damaged, but I'm skeptical about putting it on dolls... Sure, the protection benifits would be amazing and revolutionary, but as said, you wouldn't be able to change the faceup, blushing, and also maybe not be able to mod... You'd have to be 100% positive that that's how you want your doll to look for a long time...
      It's interesting, and it's full of potential. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with this.

15. I would love to try some on the spare parts I have... and see if MSC would stick on top (doubtful).

Part of me would love to coat all my dolls bodies with it so I don&#8217;t have to worry about clothing stains anymore, but like someone else said, if I could just coat the dark clothes themselves... that would be awesome. My boy's privates are always getting rubbed blue and black.

I wonder if it was spayed on a doll, how hard would it be to remove? It takes about a year to wear off, but most likely might wear off unevenly, so then would light sanding remove it?

16. I think that this would bother me. I can only imagine that it would change the way that my dolls feel to me, and I wouldn't like that. Also, if the property that repels and preserves in this finish is its super smooth texture, wouldn't that effect the posing of the doll? The reason that they can keep their pose is due to friction between the joints cause by the elastic tension. It would drive me nuts if my doll just slid around all the time because it's parts couldn't catch onto each other properly. And since nothing sticks to it...you couldn't even suede it to solve the problem!
      Perhaps I am over thinking that...I have a bad habit of doing so, but eh...

It is definitely an interesting scientific creation, but to be quite honest, I don't want it near me. Heh. It sounds a bit scary. ^_^"

17. Hmm this sounds to good to be true and through my experience if it seems to good to be true it probably isnt...

But it will be something to test, I still dont have my doll and the saving process is inching along, but I'm tempted to buy a can on my trip to Europe if their selling it then (which I actually doubt but hey I'll give it a look) and test it with some spare doll parts I might order with my Luts Soo. One of the biggest fears I'm having is the doll yellowing, so a way to prevent this would be like god in a can.

18. I'd be all over this like crazy. My dolls are characters in the novels I write and I didn't buy the dolls until they leapt off the page to tell me who they were. As it stands, I will have to get one of my dolls re-done in the next year or so as his body painting is chipping/rubbing (I handle him a lot as he's my favourite) and the idea of having his work permanent is fantastic to me.

19. I would probably use it on a Limited Edition doll whose face up I like and I know I wouldn't change. Being able to stop them from yellowing sounds great though.

20. It's possible the surface would be shiny and ultrasmooth, like you pointed out. But the van der Waals forces part gives me hope - Teflon's non-stick ability is due in large part to its incredibly low van der Waals forces, and yet it does not have an overly shiny texture (although it does feel quite slick to the touch).

Really, though, all of this is pure speculation. Until the product is released and some of us are able to get our hands on it and do some testing, we have no way of confirming any of these things.