1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternally preserving your dolls may be a reality?

Jul 14, 2010

1. This is just speculation on my part and not as much related to the dolls, but this is starting to remind me of something I learned about in class. Theres this one class that bonds to everything and they couldnt find a way to hold it because it would just react with the glass or the plastic... my curiosity is that if this sticks to everything then doesnt it do that to the bottle it comes in to? I'm also slightly curios what happens if you get any of this on your hand. This looks like its a chemical that will have to be handled carefully.

on the same note this stuff depends on if its reacting against the resin or if its simply covering it. If its reacting with what it touch's then that means it possibly can stop the yellowing as its changing the make up of the first layer of resin that its sticking to, and if its simply just covering it which depends. I'm eager to test this... Im going to order some spare donut pieces with my doll from Luts when I order her in the next month or so, and look into getting a bottle of that stuff to test it on. I know I cant test it for a while but I still want to try it myself.

2. I've been thinking about this thread since I first posted! The idea of protecting my more vulnerable dolls, ie my RS Jessica from greening is really exciting to me. When this come outs I am going to see if it can be ordered into Australia, because it could really make a difference to her, I think. If it's safe for resin, that is! :D

On a related topic, imagine being able to own a french resin doll that doesn't yellow insanely fast? It'd be mad! I've always wanted to own a french resin doll, because it interests me, but the quick yellowing is a turn off.

3. I'm sold! I want this! I was just moaning about how high maintenance these dolls are because I had to get some of their face-ups repaired. I'll wait for others to try this on their dolls before I try it.

4. wow, reading about this is making my heart beat faster because I want it so much for my dolls. I can see how it wouldn't be a good option for all doll-owners, but for me it would be great. Once I have a faceup I like, I prefer to keep it (even if it's just a default). There as a few dolls that I know I will own forever, and those dolls I would definitely want to spray with this stuff, provided it was safe for resin. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, but I would test it out first.

5. If it were a cure for the yellowing, I'd definately be interested in it as long as were perfectly safe for the resin of course. I accept yellowing is a natural process our dolls go through, but particularly when you've had a doll only 6 months and it starts looking yellow.....that can be a little dissapointng and sad imo.

As for the face up - if the sealant break downs naturally after x amount of time (say after a year for arguments sake), I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

6. I'd be up for this because I love Rhiannon and Celeste's face ups a lot and would be very upset if I lost the face ups. Yeah I could always get them redone, but if there is a way to preserve the face ups for a few years without a single worry? Sign me up.

7. If this thing works, than it is definitely coming home! Face ups are not a problem since I don't change them.
      But it sounds too good to be true. I'll wait and see.

8. My big issue with this, would be the fact that it would mean ud have to rely on selers honesty regarding wether the doll was still customizable or not.

9. Ehhh... I don't know. On the one hand it sounds like if you were super worried about an LE faceup or some body blushing or something this could be a godsend. On the other hand... How would it react with resin? Would we really be able to say these dolls are fully-customizable after we spray them with it? I don't know, I like being able to change things too much I guess.

10. I know there were a lot of people who expressed interest in experimenting on their own.. has anyone come forward with results? personally I would love this treatment for things like yellowing and body blushing, I think you could always faceup on top of the treatment and seal as usual to give the doll more durability but still control the degree of customization? Im just hoping to hear from people whove tried it and know if its safe for resin?

11. It sounds really nice, but at the same time...it's not that cool. It would be nice to save your favorite doll from yellowing, but then that's like stopping the age flow for humans almost. Maybe not the same thing? Besides, a year to run-down? That's a long time for anyone who wants to redo a face-up for their doll. It sounds cooler than it probably will be. I don't think I would buy it.

12. I would be very interested if you could coat a blank doll with it and then do a face-up over top and seal with MSC, this way the faceup is removable but the doll is protected. However, I'm not sure I faceup would be able to go over top of this product...even if you do spray MSC over it.

13. See, one thing i think people are forgetting is that resin yellows over time, even when locked away in a dark room. Ive never heard of someone buying a doll, and it is as white and pristine as the day they bought it. You could coat ur doll, but its STILL going to yellow as the resin ages. The coating might slow it down, by blocking dirt and sun.....but the resin will still yellow with age

14. I thought part of the reason resin yellowed was by oxidizing, when the resin comes in contact with air (even in a dark box). so if the resin were completely coated then there would be no chemical reacting to the surrounding air and therefore maybe slowing down the yellowing? This is all speculation of course because im not positive yellowing is caused by oxidation... But for me I am not so worried about yellowing, that is a natural process for the doll. I am more concerned with prolonging the lifespan of faceups and body blushing :) none of my dolls have blushing because it just seems too temporary for me... but with this I could really go all out with customizing them!

15. Hmm... I guess, were I to want a never aging vampire doll of some sort.
      other than that, I'd personally say no to the offer.
      I like my dolls the way they yellow, and small marks makes them unique :]
      plus, my eldest dolls would feel jealous :3

16. I preserve vintage dolls (not just BJDs), yes, it would be helpful if some liquid glass can be sprayed onto the body to protect it from dirt and grease. Over decades, it's the dirt that changes the color of vinyl. I believe dirt and grease will also yellow the resin in addition to contact with air and sunlight. Constant cleaning is a challenge over many decades. I don't trust this new liquid glass though. Not sure if it will react with vinyl and resin. I won't dare to try it on my oldest doll (52 years old). I also won't try it on my resin boys. A "doll doctor" once told me that all chemicals including shampoo, soap etc will react with dolls over time. It's a matter of time. This liquid glass technology looks promising, a ray of hope, but until it is proven its not going to react with resin and vinyl, I won't dare to try it.

I am very particular with preserving original company makeup on all my dolls including resin BJDs. However, if I am forced to choose between preserving a doll's face vs preserving the makeup, I will choose to wipe off the makeup and preserve the face. I had to make this decision with one of my vintage vinyl doll. Dark patches started to appear on her face when she was about 30 years old. I wiped off her precious company makeup to inspect the dark patches and clean it. Today, she is 50 years old, without makeup but her face is preserved. A vintage doll artist wanted to re-apply the makeup for her but I decline the offer. I am not sure if this liquid glass can help, it might react with the doll over time.

17. It would be great for everyday items that I wanted to preserve. But I think I'd pass on using it on dolls. The coating I use is keeping the doll clean and the faceup/blushing preserved well enough. ^^

18. This would be perfect for me. One of my biggest fears is that something will happen to a face-up - most of them are either custom or limited, so they couldn't be replaced. And if it prevented yellowing, that would be wonderful. I don't care if yellowing is a natural process - that doesn't make it any more attractive to me. I'm mainly referring to uneven yellowing or greenish yellowing - some yellowed dolls look fine. I didn't worry too much about this until one of mine yellowed unevenly, but now I'm paranoid.

I'll also add that if this (or some other product) did completely protect face-ups and guard against yellowing, I'd be willing to spend a lot more money on these dolls.

19. Is there any update on this product? I would love to get my hands on it, but it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.