1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever been disappointed? Even a little?

Sep 16, 2008

1. I always worry about trying to match skin tones for dolls and dolls part. I still have a Dark Soo Luts head in beauty white that I will probably never find a body for. I"m very picky about having the skin match. If they do not that bothers me.

Bren =0)

2. Good point! I hadn't thought about that before, but when I got my Wake Up Lottie from Peakswoods that box opening was a big downer, and she's the only one I haven't bonded with (apart from MSDs, but that's because I don't "get along with" dolls under 55cm...). There was customs trouble, delivery trouble, all sorts of stuff. And when I finally opened her, I guess she just didn't thrill me nearly as much as my previous lady (a PW Goldie) had.

3. I was slightly disappointed when I opened my first doll and saw that his faceup was not like the company photos! It was less intense, than what was portayed but other than that Vivian is perfect! His eyes were a little wonky and he hates standing and wearing wigs but I'm assumeing that is because he's a little punk. I was also I little shocked with the way his ears were sculpted but I've learned to like that also!(Looks like he has boxing ear)

4. I had my own taste of doll disappointment before even owning a doll! A couple of years ago I was saving up for a volks Yo-SD (forget which sculpt now..) and I saw her at anime convention. I didn't like anything about her. It was because she was small and childish I guess, and I wanted something bigger to play with. It was hard for me to move on because I already had so much planned for her and then bam, no more feelings lol :|

5. I was disappointed when I got my roxydoll lucy…She was so small. It was in 2007/2008, I was new in the hobby. She was really pretty, but I had no idea about clothes, wig or new eyes. I had a lot of problems with making pics because of the poses of the doll (the elastics were king of strange). It was a big disappointment for me, but I loved this doll a lot. For some reason I had to sold her, I really want to buy a new one, but i'm a bit afraid about it too.

6. I don't remember ever being dissapointed when opening the box. Every single doll coming to my house made me happy and spent at least one year with me. However, during all these years of collecting I often had this unpleasant feeling of dissapointment after a longer while: lack of poseability, annoying facial features, problems with finding shoes... and boom: the love was gone ;)

7. I've had disappointment over my dolls. When I first ordered my Crobi LJ, the company pictures made him look really really nice, and I loved the smoky look of his eyes. When I received him though, he didn't have smoky eyes like the pictures at all! I still like him though.

I had another disappointment with my newest, Evan. I got him since he was limited and was able to order him through junkyspot as the doll leaves site was preorder only. He was supposed to have 2 sets of ears, regular and elf. Once the package arrived, and I unwrapped him, I found only his right elf ear with the normal ears. I've contacted Emory at Junky already and doll leaves is supposed to be sending a replacement ear, but after that, I've not received any word yet (last message was on the 17th of June). I'll wait just a little longer before contacting Emory again about it, I don't want to hound him ^^;

8. There have only been two times that I've been disappointed. One was when I first got my DZ Fei and the distributor said they would send him with green eyes for me to make up for the wait, he came with brown eyes but I wasn't upset because I had an extra set of green eyes I could use when I got him. :) The second time was when I got my BBB Pandora. Honestly she was one of those impulse buys and I think at the time I bought her for all the wrong reasons. When I got her I wasn't really impressed with her body or even her face so she ended up going to a new home.

9. I only just had this recently, with a hybrid. The head was pretty different than what I usually go for and the body I knew had some problems (notoriously bad at posing, chiping on the knees). I got the body first and put him together. I was overall okay with him, posing was bad as expected, but it wasn’t until I got the head that my heart sunk. Pinhead syndrome. It had never happened to me before. I’m so used to having bobble-headed boys that it was pretty much normality to me. Having something on the other end of the spectrum shocked me. I was trying my best to adjust then I sent the head off for a faceup. After some suedeing with hot glue I’m having better luck bonding with the body, but I’m not sure that it’s going to work for the head.

10. I think we all have felt that out of place moment of questioning ourselves in the hobby.
      It is sour especially while staring at the thing you'd thought you adore then just feeling that tingle of regret creeping up.
      I actually get that time to time.
      But dolls are what make me happy,so i could never stop looking at them as i do,entirely letting go.

11. I was horrified when I got my Christian (A Wien from Leekeworld), I thought he looked so beautiful on the store pics, it looked like he was smiling all the time, and when I got mine, he looked pouty and sullen ALL THE TIME!

Also, I was used to posing my LUTS Girl who can pose her head around better than any other MSD I've ever seen, so having this stiff body, with ZERO head posability and a sullen face made me almost hate the mold instantly. I only pulled it out of the box for "couple" phonotshoots, and went back inside the box as soon as I was done with him... it took me almost a whole year for me to finally "figure him out" and bond, which happened out of all places at the movie theater, when I saw a film about an autistic boy and I finally understood my Christian.

He ended up being my favourite character ever. I feel like I know exactly what he's thinking and why, and using some camera tricks and changing his eyes a couple of times I finally got him to "smile" at me and his back story is now the most developed I ever made, I even know his favourite color and ice cream flavor!

12. Yes, when I received my first PukiPuki. I had bought her on impulse on ebay because I wanted to have a doll to play with until I waited for my first doll, PKF Luna. But she is so tiny, not really my size. It's hard to find a wig that doesn't look like a helmet on her. And she has normal skin but since I finally got my PKF in white skin I realized that NS is not my type of skin colour.

So my PukiPuki probably wasn't my best buy, I have been too disappointed in her so far. There have been days I though BJDs are not the right thing for me but that changed since I have my PKF, much better size and skin colour <3

13. Oh, this thread is intriguing, it really shows how different tastes people have :)
      I'm not happy to admit it, considering she's my first doll, but my mnf shushu has just ... been terribly troublesome. I bought her second hand off another dane who had sanded down her breasts. This didn't matter much to me since I wpuld've ordered her as flatchested as possible anyway.
      When she arrived I was already aware that she had her former face up, and, being afraid of painting her myself I sent her off to a get a new face up. While I waited for her to be done, I noticed she was at her ankle, and wrist, and while it doesn't affect her, I still feel dumb for never asking for more photos. I've come to ignore it mostly since it doesn't show so much, but eh.
      When she came home again, she'd gotten a wonderful face up. Since she was my first bjd, a friend of mine bought me a cute dress set from Luts, in a group order. Since my mnf didn't have any wig or proper clothes back then, I also entered the order, getting her a wig and some other trinkets.
      Fast forward a couple of months. The postal office seemed to lose our package, and everything kind of got confusing since I was not the host of the order. The host had been hospitalized, but refunded everyone money as far as I know. (just to avoid calling anyone out)
      I've had my mnf for about...half a year about now, and she has yet to recieve a wig and clothes. I just feel like there are other tjings that are more necesary when I see the full price of outfit, wig and perhaps shoes. eh, I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself

14. I've had a couple dolly disappointments, but only one resulted in me selling someone off.
      My first disappointment came with my Dollzone Mo. I had eyed him for weeks, thinking he'd be a perfect fit for a character of mine. Well, I ordered him from Junky Spot -- a wonderful company to order from, IMO -- and soon after, I ordered his outfit and wig.
      Well, I wasn't expecting him to arrive so... early. And I mean early. Three days passed and he was suddenly at my door, waiting to be freed from his cardboard confines. He arrived with a scary doll movie (haha) and he was pretty scary himself, naked and wigless. But I kept him out of the box, anyway.
      I knew within a week that I wasn't bonding with him the way I wanted. He scared me, to be honest -- he was too close to my bed, and at night I'd see his silhouette and his bald head and I'd have a difficult time sleeping. I even had a couple bad dreams!
      Then his things arrived, and I was so sad to find out his pants wouldn't fit him. But I ordered some custom ones from Marsh here on DOA, and thought all would be well. In fact, we got along okay after that... He had real personality and Orian (my other doll) seemed to warm up to him. But he was difficult to pose, even after a terrible experience restringing him, and he didn't seem to fit into any clothes properly. When it came time for me to earn some money for my graduation show, I decided to sell him. He wasn't the first doll I sold, but he was the first one I wasn't terribly sad to see go.
      I was sad to see his character go, however. I left the hobby for a few years after that, only buying one more doll who I struggled with off and on, but when I decided to come back I knew I had to find a doll for that character again. I couldn't be happier with my new Reiji, who is now a wee kitten Lance from crobidoll.

The other case of disappointment came later -- that doll I purchased after Reiji. It was a CH YOSD size doll, who I made into a boy for a couple of years. But it just wasn't working, and I thought about selling him off.
      Until, one day, I put a girly wig on him...
      Now he is a she and I love her to pieces!

This is what I learned from my mistakes:
      1) if you buy from a local seller or secondhand and you don't have the materials, do an artificial layaway. That is, even though you have the full amount, pay half first and half later. I found I like a (reasonable) wait time between ordering a doll and getting it. My anticipation builds and the excitement I have when opening the box is doubled! (I don't like too long of a wait time, though.) I've purchased direct from Fairyland (too long of a wait) direct from a US seller (too short of a wait) and paid in full for secondhand (also too short of a wait) but I've also done a one month layaway for secondhand and purchased direct from Luts, and both were perfect amounts of wait time for me. :)

2) Don't force your doll to be someone they aren't! Like I learned from my little CH Hani, if something isn't working, try something else. This is tough when we buy a doll to fill in an already existing character, but maybe that character needs tweaking before fitting into its new resin form, or maybe the doll itself is better for another character. I try to be loose now when it comes to this sort of thing.

So, these are the things I tell myself when I feel a pang of disappointment upon a box opening. And it's true... a box opening makes all the difference!

15. I have been disappointed by my first doll. A starter doll, if you will, that I bought to get into this hobby. I researched for a year and heard nothing but good about the dolls. But when I finally got her, I hated everything about her. I thought maybe the bjd hobby wasn't for me. But I kept going back to this site and flickr to look at the doll I really want. Then I bought another. Hated that one too. Maybe it's my choice in dolls, but I'm not ready to give up this hobby yet.

16. I've only received one doll so I can't say I'm disappointed by him. He's really grown on me, the cutie. :) He's perfect to me.

My mom was really disappointed when she saw him and immediately made a comment about the anatomical correctness and that I paid far too much for an inappropriate doll. :|

17. Not yet, but sometimes when they have a big issue I get buyers regret for a minute, especially if it's something like not wanting to stand without falling down every. single. time.

18. My biggest disappointment was my Latidoll. Don't get me wrong- he's perfect, but for some reason I had come to picture a different doll arriving in my head. A non SP, with regular skin, and a pouty face. He arrives tall, pale, and smiling! I should have waited before buying him to be sure I was sure what I wanted but I was so anxious to get the waiting time started. Now I'm looking to find him a new home because I'm just not appreciating him like I should.

19. I've been over the moon with all of my dolls except for the latest one. I got excited for her but when I opened her box I didn't have the same feeling as the tiny I had gotten only a few weeks earlier. I started questioning whether I had gotten her too soon. Thankfully it turned out to be that i was simply tired from work and that I needed to change her eyes and wig.

I was disappointed with a doll I didn't even buy though. I had been planning on getting a DoD Too but once I saw him in person, he wasn't a fit for the character. I was sad about it since I had already been saving up but I was glad that I hadn't bought him and then found out he didn't suit what I had planned.

20. Yes I was disappointed in Amelia Thimbles brother Hamish when he arrived. Face paint missing and head bobbing down. They did replace him and I love him to pieces now. But sure do know the disappointment.