1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever been disappointed? Even a little?

Sep 16, 2008

1. Ive been disapointed allot actually.
      Mainly because i used to buy dolls to see what i could do with them.

The disapointment started when i actually started buying dolls i thought i wanted.

I discovered i'm just to much of a anatmoy whore lol, and i find dolls with big heads compaired to their body disturbing....
      so yes a muse doll ciel was the biggest disapointment ever. [super thin body.. big round head]

Since ive stuck to realistic dolls, it never happend again XB

2. YUP! :(
      I bought a volks sd13 girl body here on the market place, and was sadly disappointed.
      I was expecting something great, even though it was second hand, because of all the hype surrounding volks. But I was sadly disappointed. (this has NOTHING to do with the seller).

I can't see what the big deal is with volks; compared to my cp boy body, cp won hands down.

The volks body still had seams even though it was "supposedly" sanded (by volks), and had REALLY uneven resin on the inside of the body so it was really hard to restring her. And her feet are uneven on top so she can't even stand right (I had heard volks were amazing standers). :(

3. My first doll, a Dollzone Shoyo boy, was a real impulse buy. I had just enough money, and wanted a BJD so desperately that I convinced myself he'd be absolutely perfect. I wasn't disappointed right away, I was kinda in awe since it was my first time seeing a BJD in person. But after a while I started to wonder if I'd made the right decision. I thought about selling him every now and then but was always told I shouldn't by friends/family.

After a while I decided he just wasn't what I wanted, and should let him go to start saving for another. Now he's about to be sold, and hopefully I'll be able to start saving for my MNF Woosoo boy. I'm really hoping I won't be at all disappointed in my next doll.

I don't think it was a total loss though. I had a lot of fun with him for a while, and now I know what to expect in a doll. I also now know that minis are the perfect size for me~ <3

4. Yes, similar here! I had my girl in the "wrong" colour wig/eyes/clothes for quite a while due to various factors, and although I still loved her, there was some tension because I knew that it wasn't how she was meant to "be" ... as such, her character was a little off. I even left her bald and naked for a while here and there because it was better than the offending combination I had for her at the time ^^;

I'd ordered some wigs from LeeKe that turned out to be a total mistake. It's unfortunate when anything like that happens in the doll-hobby because it's usually a very expensive mistake :( One of the wigs was so unlike the company photo I was quite shocked ... given the good feedback the company had. So I was very disappointed then ...

But now Lily has her correct colours ^^ I still can't get over how vast a difference it makes by switching wigs and clothes and so on. It's incredible! She's "my" doll finally :)

It can also be diasppointing when you realise you can't do something very well ... for instance, when I first re-strung her I took SIX HOURS. And she was still horribly wonky and couldn't even sit up after I'd finished. I felt like I'd ruined her :(

5. My first doll was an impulsive buy - I saw bjd, wanted one of them, bought almost the first one I liked. When he arrived... he was nothing like promo-photos. The make-up was totally different, his expression was different. I don't know if I could fall in love with him if he had been like promos - but as he was... I didn't realize that I was disappointed right away, though, at first I was too excited to think anyway. But later, when I got another doll and understood what it was to love *everything* about your doll, I realized that my first doll just was not for me.

6. I think I'm sort of disappointed in Rook, my cherishdoll chubby. In all these owner pics I've seen (and in his sell pictures) he's so cute and sweet looking. I think he's really cute and all...but to me he looks like a doll. With Echo, when I poke him in the tummy I expect him to flinch or something. With Rook, he's just...blah. I think it has to do with him haveing a default face-up. All the others dolls I've had, be it my dollfie 27cm or the resins, they've all had a face-up done by me. I fell a huge connection with them, even Auvner who is my husbands doll...I feel more bonded with him than Rook. I think I'll get Rook some new eyes and wig, maybe make him an outfit before I really decide to sell him.

7. Well, my first doll... having never seen a ABJD in real life... I ordered as a hybrid. Grabbed the Domuya Flexi-body in the first sale last year when it was only $200 plus half-price shipping, then spent another week deciding on the head. Picked DiM not realizing the comparison shot I'd seen was a slightly older shot before they went to the pinky-white briefly. Head came home, smaller than I'd been expecting (I kept mentally building off my mum's Miss Revlon to figure size and she has a big head) but very lovely sculpt. Then the body arrived a week later. And OMG was it yellow. I've since compared him to other dolls, Volks that is supposed to match and other Domuyas, his original colour wasmore yellow than any (and I recently realized he's actually yellowed a little since I got him). All I'd had made for him when he got home was a pair of sweatpants, so I quickly threw together a poncho to hide the neck resin shift. Tolerable to look at, then I tried to make him sit up... flop... flop... flop... So I'm standing there, staring at him propped in the cushions on the couch, wondering if I've made a drastic mistake (I had been planning to use the money that bought him to replace/repair some of my electronics equipment). Flop myself down on the couch to think... and he snuggled up to my side... instant love.
      Best part is, even with new, tight stringing (I've had to replace it a stupid number of times) and sueding Tanal is still a total snuggler. And my sister pointed out to me one time that he actually flops into many of the same poses I flop into myself! So his flopping became cool for me.

Christopher was a disappointment in that the Elfdoll body feels so stiff after getting used to the Flexi-body, but the fact he would stand straight out of the box made up for it. Still took me a lot longer to bond with him though.

I totally understand the face up thing, kittysauras, I've already planned that if I ever do get a doll that comes with a face up someone else will have to open the box for me and erase said face up before I will even look at the doll.

8. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was disappointed, but when I got Lorry his body (CP Chiwoo), I was a little concerned that it wasn't going to work as well for him as the body I had gotten for Frank, which had been absolutely perfect. It took a little while for Lorry to be completely 'there'. What ended up happening was that the body had beaten his eyes home and he was using a borrowed pair that really weren't all that great. When his actual eyes arrived and I popped them in, everything was absolutely fine. He's now one of the dolls that I'm the most bonded to, and Chiwoo is one of my very favorite headsculpts :)

9. Dissapointed? Oh, no...! Not by my girls! :aheartbea

I have been dissapointed by stuff - clothes that turned out to be blue or brown when I thought they were black, handmade stuff that are nicely made but just don't fit the doll well, things like that...
      Which can feel very annoying when it happens, but isn't a really huge deal in the greater scheme of things... And the price you pay for shopping from a site you can't really read but from not always accurate automatic translations.

10. My first two dolls were girls and I love them, then I decided to get a boy. When he arrived I was totally amazed by him; such a wonderful face. He is a very beautiful doll, but I just don't know what to do with a boy doll and that's the problem. He's been in his box since I got him a few months ago.

11. I've only been disappointed once, and that was with the tan DZ fox I had for a short while. I love the fox mold and I love the older DZ tan... and I thought that I'd be getting something like that but a little darker. But he was so... ORANGE. I just didn't get the "ooo!" that I was expecting. However, I found someone who was looking for just that guy and happily sent him on his way.

I've had others that I knew weren't going to be a fit with me after a very short while, but it wasn't so much a matter of disappointment as of discovery. Sometimes they look like just the right thing on the screen but don't quite click once they get here, through no fault of their own.

12. I wouldn't say I'm dissappointed in my DD1, just that I couldn't get the head I wanted at the time(DES Vamp.) cuz I didn't have a bank account and the US post office wouldn't do a M.O. to Korea.:evil: I don't know if they do now, but they didn't in 2005.

I finally did a face up on the default head( which I REALLY hate, can't stand anime heads!) that I'm satisfied with.

I know that id I'd gotten a regular SD I definitely would've been severely disappointed with their childlike bodies.

I like have a bigger doll, butg hate the fact that it takes sooooo much material to clother them! A LOT more than for my 1/6 dolls!

So, even though I've always wanted a Luts DES Vamp w/ mature body & a Unoss, I'll probably get the MNF Woosoo and a Unoa Lusis instead. I don't think I'd actually end up playing with the big dolls since making their stuff takes more time and material and it's more expensive to buy them things. I would hate to get my dream dolls just to have them sit in a closet!

I'm so glad the they've come out with smaller versions!

:love

13. Oh god, absolutely!

I ordered my first doll on a semi impulse. I'd wanted other dolls for years, literally and saw the Leeke Mabel and purchased it within 2 days.

I grew to love her more and more, and she got home and I flopped her wig on and it was looooovee... for about 5 minutes.

Then I realized stuff was really wrong, and slowly it began crushing my heart until my chest hurt and I was so upset I couldn't bare to see her, stuck her in a bed in her box, and in a drawer she went while I moped and cried. Her joints were broken (2 of them)...

I didn't know what to do, she was my first, I didnt want to send her back, and I felt so bad, her face went from happy when she saw me first time, to looking so sad...

So sad. I felt so bad, that she was just neglected into the drawer, all alone like I'd just tossed her away after seeing she wasnt perfect.

She couldnt stand, eventually I sueded her and she was able to a bit... But I think her brokeness grew on me because now I have her replacement parts, and wont put them on. She's perfect to me, in her silly quirky way. I love her to pieces.

14. I wasn't expecting anything from my Yuu. He wasn't a mold i liked that much, but he was so gorgeous when he arrived i can't say i was disappointed. Maybe with the yellowing that wasn't mentioned by the seller. I don';t think disappointment is the right work for it, maybe frustration would be the best, but my Saint make me cry from being so floppy, kicky and horrible to stand... it's been sorted out, but i still want to die a bit when doing his face up, he has no lips... i love him tho.

I'm quite disappointed with my Miho tho. I thought he head was going to be smaller but it's quite big for a normal SD size so the souldouble body seems quite small for him. Besides, i don't like how emotionless he looks. I'm blaming on his 16mm eyes for now but i've seen other Mihos and they are gorgeous.... i don't know why mine can't be the same to my eyes.

15. I bought my Shiwoo second hand from another user here on DOA. When I got my boy I was shocked to see him so poorly wrapped! He was in such a bad state I nearly cried. His poor little head was off and the S hook was way bent out of shape. Not to mention the way he was strung was way wrong. I was very upset, but after pulling myself together I fixed him all up and he's now a happy little addition to the family.

16. My very first doll I was kind of: "WTH do I do with this?". She had a lot of little things that bothered me. She didn't seem to pose well. Her gaze seemed wrong no matter what I did. I couldn't get her clothes off. She had some black stains from her stockings.

In fact, even after I got other dolls, I was still kind of meh about her at times, even as I gradually got her fixed up.

She's now the most popular doll among my LJ mates. I've learned to love her extra much. She has glass eyes and is strung better. She makes a fab blond. And now that her resin has aged a bit she isn't ZOMG white, but an amazing shade of ivory.

17. I was very disappointed with my first bjd. her face was so flat, no details or anything, and her limbs have the weirdest poses... i never took liking to her and still don't like her, and I'm planning on putting her up cheap for sale as soon as my new doll arrives so i'll have a box to ship her in. my secon doll was not a disappointement at first, but latet it has become because no matter how hard i try, i just can't seem to make him look fine. but i'll keep practising on him.

- karina

18. Not immediatly, but since my other boys have arrived Ying's old DZ body is so frustrating to me. It's just so unposeable. I considered selling him but maybe I'll just put his old body up for sale and get him a better one..

19. Experience has taught me that I can't order from the factory--it never looks like I expect, and I have unreasonable expectations, always. The dolls I have liked the best were bought from the MP or were "accidental" dolls that I bought as fodder for trades or because the owner didn't want to split.

Also finding the right eyes and wig is so critical to getting a doll right...my "disappointing" dolls usually were wonderful once they were put together with the right eyes and wig.

The one guy I just couldn't fix was a gorgeous Leeke limited. He looked super in all the wigs and eyes I had, he was flawless, and he was empty. I never had a doll before that had no personality whatsoever. It was like looking at a tennis ball with a nose. I gave him away *_*