1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever been disappointed? Even a little?

Sep 16, 2008

1. I've felt a smidge of let-down at first with almost all of my doll purchases. I don't think that it's actually because the doll is disappointing, I think I build it up so much in my mind because I want it so bad, that there is no way anthing can live up to that anticipation. Also, I always fall in love with other people's owner pics and then I buy the dolls with no faceup. Usually, I don't have any clothes for them yet either. So, I've bought this doll because I fell in love with other dolls that have been so beautifully and carefully made up and photographed by their owners. And I receive a naked doll with naked face. She's usually strung a little too tight by the maker so she's all curled up in a fetal position in her box. I have no clothes for her and she just seems sad at first. I always play with them for a while and carry them from room to room with me for a couple days and before I know it, I'm smitten with my little naked and kicky doll that is all potential and inspiration for creativity... A happy ending...

2. When I seen my sisters, I didnt expect to see them so small! Then again I had measured it out....but I thought like torso size etc would be bigger.

But thats okay.

3. my first doll was actually a big dissapointment. when she came, she didnt fit the character i had for her at ALL so i had to make up a new one. she was smaller than i had expected, and i wasnt pleased with her body or her hands, they were too chubby for my taste, and her faceup was WAY to sweet and innocent. i eventually redid her faceup, but even the character i madeup for her wouldnt fit so i ended up having to sell her after 2 years. now i have a new body for that character (my shiwoo) and i couldnt be happier with it^_^

the only other dissapointment i have ever had was with my second doll, irukandji, (DOD U) his default faceup was drenched in pink and huge eyelashes. i finaly had that faceup redone and now i love him to death

4. My falling of crest has not followed the opening of the box, rather than when I have tried to stand or pose them. These guys are so expensive I don't think it is too much trouble for the makers to create their products a lot more posable. The prospect of sueding and restringing, especially for the new owner, is a little bit daunting.

5. Yeah, I've been disappointed a few times now, but most have had good endings. :)

When Iplehouse Ryushin first came out I fell in love with the promo pictures of him. I thought long and hard about buying him, and after a lot of deliberation, I bought him. When he arrived I felt something was off. He didn't look right in the wig I had wanted for him and his body was too slim. I figured that was why I wasn't bonding with him. I went through two more wigs and a disastrous body exchange before I went back to his original body and found a wig that suited him. Still, I was not bonding with him and I thought about selling him. Finally I realized he wasn't right for the character I'd created. I fit him to a new character and right away I felt better about him! Now I love him, he is dear to me.

When my Latidoll tan K arrived I was disappointed to see that his tan was uneven in places. I sort of expected that, since he is a tan doll and that happens sometimes, but I suppose I'd been a bit spoiled with my tan Cecile, whose color is wonderfully even. Also, I was not expecting K's legs to be so very long! In comparison to my other 60cm dolls, his legs are quite disproportionate with his torso. But those were minor things and I love him lots despite them. :)

My most recent disappointment is Migidoll Ryu. His head is so large!! I feel it would only look right with a 70cm body, but then he would not fit with the other dolls I have planned for that group. Also, his resin is very pink, pinker than my DOD... I'm not sure what I will do. I might end up selling him if I can't find a compatible 65cm body that doesn't make him look like he's got a melon head.

6. I've been disappointed twice, both times LE dolls, but actually it wasn't the kind of disappointment the OP described, they were both exactly what I expected when I opened the box... which makes me feel worse about being disappointed!

One was my v.1 Volks Hewitt, a doll I had always lusted after and never thought I'd have the chance to buy. Well, one turned up on the marketplace here, and I panicked lol. I had to make a snap decision over whether I wanted him or not, and it was one of those situations where as soon as I had sent the money I thought "What have I done?". It was coming up to Christmas, I really couldn't afford to be spending money on dolls, and it was such an impulse buy!

When he got here, he was just as beautiful as his pictures, and as beautiful as any owner pics I'd seen, but I didn't know what to -do- with him. My other dolls had mostly been named and had at least a little personality or story before I got them, I had no idea who this doll was.

But, I sold off his original outfit to get back some cash, and played around with different clothes, eyes and wigs, and found him a name. I took a two year break from dolls soon after that and they've literally been on the shelf, I'm only just getting back into them, so I still haven't bonded very well with him. I'd never dream of selling him though, he's just the prettiest thing I've ever seen, and I'm hopeful we can get to know each other better this time round ^^

The other doll I was disappointed by, and again it was an 'Oops, shouldn't have bought that...' moment, was my vampire elf Yder. I had been stalking Yder owner pics for ages, and thought he was so pretty, so when I found out Luts were releasing a vampire head, I thought it would be -perfect- for an OC of mine, and I could get an Yder to boot! Of course, I couldn't really afford it, but after seeing their other vampire heads be so popular, I was afraid to wait and take a chance on buying one in the marketplace later on. So I bought the full set (elf head, vamp head, and body) direct from Luts, and put the body and elf head up for sale as soon as they arrived.

Of course, Yder ended up not being as popular as other dolls that got vamp heads, and of course there were plenty of vamp Yders put on the marketplace soon after! Then there was the fact that I couldn't afford a body for him, or to send him to get his eyes opened, and was too nervous to try it myself. So he's been left in a box ever since, well over a year now, and to top it off I recently realised that he doesn't at all fit for the character I wanted to be.

That upset me for a while, and I considered selling him, but the idea is sickening after all that hardship, and I do still think Yders are beautiful. So then I decided to stop trying to make him something he wasn't, and in very little time I had a new character : ) I'm saving up for a B&G body for him now, I'm preparing for my first eye mod, and the future is looking good!

I have had other dolls (just heads) that I just wasn't crazy about when they showed up and had to sell along, but those two really got me anxious because I love their molds so much. Impulse buying isn't always a bad thing, however! Fiadhna, my CH Little Junior Jupiter, was a total impulse buy (I had been intending to get a Mars!) but one of the best things that ever happened to me. I bought him from a seller on ebay, and the second I opened the box I was just head over heels about him, he's so beautiful and the perfect size <33 He's the only doll I've ever been MORE excited about after getting him than I was before he arrived! :D

7. I recently bought a lishe in the marketplace. I always wanted a lishe and since she arrived, I have not bonded. when my other dolls arrived I was all excited, but with her and another my Odealia, I just cant seem to get along with. Ive had to put them up for sale as I just dont like them being here. I bought when I had a bank account full of cash and was LOOKING for something to buy. I had my hopes on a 05 juri and now wish I'd spent the money on one of her instead.

8. Well I have only had dealings with my one and so far only boy. When he first came I wasn't really aware of the 'crazy legs' some Delf boys come with and mine did have a rather bad case of it. After I had done some looking around for info about this problem I realized that he wouldn't need a restringing after all (the idea of doing that scared me). It was just after seeing so may arrival pictures of dolls standing perfectly right after opening the box, and the fact that mine would not stand at all, did have me a bit disappointed at first.

Now, I have had him for about 7 months (how the time flies) and I absolutely love him to death and wouldn't part with him for any reason. He has loosened and he stands wonderfully now in case anyone was wondering. :)

9. Second doll, impulse buy. Sold her within the week. She just....really wasn't what expected/wanted. I have little disappointments with my current dolls, but that's been a long time coming on. I feel bad though, since I just bought my third one. :/

10. I've not been disappointed myself but I was around for a friend's box opening of her long awaited AA doll, I believe he was a San. Only, he certainly wasn't a San when we opened the box. :| I'm not too familiar with the molds but she was and had her heart set on San for her character. I thought it would be easily fixed by the company, maybe she could ship him back and they'd ship the proper doll but that ended up being a disaster as well. I believe she just sold him and decided she would buy him second hand and direct.

11. I have been fairly disappointed by quite a few doll purchases. There are some where I've just been floored with how wonderful and beautiful they were and others... not so much.

Elfdoll K: I had purchased him as a replacement to my Elfdoll Wu. When he arrived, his face was so severe and the sculpted eyebrow lines just completely put me off. I sold him rather quickly afterward.

Bambicrony Elf Shy: I think the wait for this, as well as the up and down release dates were what did me in. The doll was really cute, but by the time he arrived, I was just so over it and wanted him gone.

DIM Andrea: When I saw this head on the website, I loved how pale it looked. When it arrived, I was horrified to see that not only was he not pale, but he was purple. He would be almost impossible to get a body for (unless I got a DIM specific body), and the lavender color was just so unappealing.

Latidoll L: I was so excited for this head to come in and I had the perfect character in mind, but when he arrived, there was just something too juvenile about the way he looked... Latidoll sculpts never did appeal to me since.

I get anxiety now over any doll sculpt I purchase. I've often bought sculpts I've sold in the past, because I know how I'll react to them and how much I enjoyed them. (Why did I sell them in the past? Well, why does anyone ever sell a doll they love. Bills, of course!) Thankfully, there are people out there who are willing to give unwanted dolls a good home, so if there is that disappointment, I know I'll always be able to re-home them.

12. I was highly disappointed when i bought my dod child - arie. :?
      They had such few options to choose from when purchasing, that i autumatically thought the doll came with wig & faceup.:doh It took up to two months to receive, i contacted them numerously & they never replied till i threatened to sue (ok im sure that was out of hand) but i paid alot not to recieve her. :( She came in the mail butt naked, 1 week later. I then read later on their page in small font that in order to get the wig & faceup you had to "email" them & specify it. how can i rely on that, when they didnt even answer me in the first time.:evil:
      it was such a horrible experience i will never buy from them again:eek:

13. completely off topic.. but i LOVE your icon!!!:D

14. Wow, that's horrid. I've never had experience with Dream of Doll, but that would be a huge turn-off.

15. I was disappointed by the Bobobie body I bought for a hybrid. I forgot the resin colour had changed (my fault), so the resin match was terrible. The body was EXTREMELY floppy, even after restringing it twice.

That disappointment was quickly dealt with as I sold the body with little trouble and bought a better one to hybrid with.

16. I was incredibly disappointed with my Domuya Venturo when he arrived. I had ordered him blank, since I need to mod him and he needs a very specific faceup, but when he showed up, he had (and still does since I haven't had a chance to work on him yet) a really awful, girly faceup. I was so upset I could hardly look at him for a while. Which seems completely irrational now, but at the time, it was just so upsetting, because I had had such a hard time getting him.

While it is going to be more work for me now, to get the faceup off, I'm totally in love with him now and just glad that I didn't actually pay for that faceup. Still very disappointed in Domuya though. If I had actually paid for that faceup, I would've cried.

Come to think of it, that's not the first time I was disappointed with a doll because of the faceup. Way back when I got my Hound from Luts, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with him, so I let them do the faceup... big mistake. Not only was it in incredibly unflattering colors, but it arrived damaged, as well. I think I actually did cry then. ^^; ($50 down the drain!) Once I wiped his face off though, it was instant love. I eventually had to sell him due to financial difficulties, and ended up getting a Saint as a replacement (who I adore!) but I still miss him. :( I find it funny that I ended up loving him so much after his arrival brought me to tears. :sweat

I also haven't been terribly happy with my Leeke Koji... I somehow wasn't expecting his head to be so... round. He's still an absolutely gorgeous boy, but just not what I was expecting, and possibly not right for the character. But I've resigned myself to not sell him or make any final judgements on him until I'm finished with his mods and faceup and he's got his proper wig and eyes.

Oh! And my Nanuri 07. I nearly sold or traded him right away. His sculpt just really disappointed me at first sight. I wasn't sure I could keep him. But I sat on it a few days and decided that I'd mod him a bit and go from there. Once he was modded, I couldn't possibly sell him. He has so much character now, I really like him a lot.

Hah, when I saw this thread, I figured I wouldn't be replying, since I couldn't recall being disappointed, since I love all my boys so much now, but after some thinking... :sweat And that's not even counting all the bodies that have come through here, trying to find a decent fit and resin match for my Kohya... who was also a disappointment from the beginning. But only because of his body. I loved everything else about him.

17. hmmm, well, when I got my husky all though I thought he was beautiful (dollshe hands!) I did not like his butt, hehe
      Also, I got him because he was one of the first ones I saw and loved and they were being discontinued- but I had a hard time choosing between him and a hound. For a while everytime I saw a pic of someone's prettty, sweet, smiley hound I would look at my grouchy faced Fox and wonder if I made the right choice.
      But it is all fine now- I love Fox and would not trade him for any other doll^_^

18. I was really unhappy to discover the R-Asiam head I bought had undisclosed mods. One eye was a good deal larger than the other and they needed different eye sizes. At the time I wasn't pleased that I had to order Apoxie Sculpt to repair him. He's all fixed now though, and I feel like I bonded with him more from having worked on him.

I was also disappointed when I opened my Souldoll Asiter, he was a lovely doll, but his head was much smaller than his intended girlfriend. Also with the make-up Souldoll had given him he looked very much like a person I don't like. I didn't want to ruin a face-up I had spent extra to get, plus his head sized bothered me, so I sold him.

19. Not disappointed but shocked at how big DIM doll's foreheads are, they look like coneheads! The doll is still pretty though with a wig.

20. Oh yeah.

First doll - Abio Angel arms suck, big time. But his face was so cute and his legs were great and he was the first bjd I'd ever seen so I though he was pretty normal and I thought I had unrealistic expectations.

Second doll - Delf girl. Arms were a bit better than the AA but I'd seen pics by then but hadn't realised that some poses were achieved by dislocating joints. Her leg movement sucked though. Swapped the head onto a THAASA1 body and have been blissed out with her ever since. Shinydoll bodies rock.:love

Third doll - Peakswoods. Arrived without promised eyes. Looked like an alien and moved less than both other dolls. Did not suit planned character. Currently contemplating swap.

Fourth doll - old bodied Delf Kid. Delighted with her range of movement but vaguely wondered why she looked so much younger that on the Luts website. Realised the new body on there is slimmer and has more movement - contemplating body swap.

Fifth doll - double jointed Soulkid. Amazed at movement. Really kicky though. So tightly strung I could barely get to her elastic to remove it! Noticed her head mold is oddly lopsided. Restringing and sueding helped lots.

Sixth doll - Amakusa head. Blissed out with this one. Just got him a Domuya Flexi-P body. Disappointed with how his head wobbled around but after sueding with foam I'm back to being blissed out with him. Flexi-P bodies rock.:dance

Seventh doll - Dollshe Bernard. Discovered the 'Dollshe Owners Learning Curve' TM. Once I got my head round that it was fine.

I also have an AES head for a character that doesn't suit it so I have to figure out which mold will happily house her.

So no serious problems, in fact the ease with which most of the disappointments can be fixed is one of the joys of this hobby.