1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever Been Spooked (Directly or Indirectly) By Your Doll?

Mar 1, 2007

1. I'm not the only one still freaked out by the grudge! ^^ Thank goodness. My family laughs at me for that one.

2. *raises hand* That was probably my Shibu.
      I wrote about him doing that in the "What signs has your doll given you?" thread.
      It wasn't so much scary, because he's just so...non-threatening, both in appearance and character...I was just sort of startled when it happened. ^^;

As far as really being scared by anything, though...not my dolls....
      But my old apartment had a closet along one wall of the bedroom, with sliding doors. I had been shifting stuff about in the room, and needed to get out for a second...but the normal way, around a shelf that cut the room in half, was blocked by stuff...so I decided to slide through the closet.
      It was, like, two in the morning, and I was all alone, no pets aside from fish. I start shimmying through the closet, between the hanging clothes and the sliding door...and I step on something fuzzy that goes, "Uhnnmmm," in this really grumpy tone, then fell silent. A second of near heart-attack....
      ...then my brain connected and I screamed, "Furby!"
      XDDDD
      It had had just enough power to make the 'grumpy' sound when I knocked it over, then the battery died again.

3. I was thinking all day why it was that realistic dolls with an inherent sense of motion (especially in the eyes) freaks so many people out, and then I remembered a friend telling me something about robotics and how there's a certain point between unrealistic and realistic called "the uncanny valley" that causes people to think androids or humanoid robots are eerie. I think it could easly apply to anything that mimics a human, even pictures and sculptures.

"In 1970 Masahiro Mori proposed the uncanny valley: a relation between human perception of robots and their degree of human likeness. Mori observed that as robots are built to look more humanlike, they appear more familiar and one might suppose that this trend would continue until they became indistinguishable from human beings. However, Mori argued that near-humanlike robots would appear strange or creepy, and this dip in familiarity he termed bukimi no tani, which has been popularly translated as the uncanny valley. According to Mori, movement amplifies the relation between human likeness and familiarity ... "

The experiment website is here.

4. I went to Key west and saw that house on a ghost tour, scare the crap outta me...

5. My modem has little lights... and I usually turn it off at night, but I was lazy. Anyway, this time I had Vin sitting at my desk. I rolled over and there were these two gold eyes staring at me 0_0
      His eyes reflect the light, and the light from my modem was playing freaky with me.
      He is such a freaky doll, but not in a scary way lol.

6. I have several LivingDead Dolls as well as a couple dolls styled as Witches so I'm big into creepy :) But I do have one particular LDD that I can not stand to see. She has to be in her coffin box and the box put away. I'll only bring her out at Halloween and then I have put her somewhere out of my normal line of sight LOL

7. My Soulkid Harang, Lido, moves. I think this is why the DOA member sold him to me LOL. Seriously though, the first time I carried him upstairs, his head shook back and forth. Hmmm, strange I thought, but now I notice that his hands move. I usually have him holding another doll, and some times when I look his hands are in adifferent place. Yes I know I'm nuts. He also pouts when I leave him by himself, he needs another doll for company.

8. Mits has only freaked me out once - last night actually, i was trying on his new wigs and taking pictures for freinds.. with the combination of dim light and my shadow cast down around him it made him look really.. really.. angry.. I was like "ohhhkay.. :O I think ill take these tomorrow..."

9. Ah, that was you! I don't know if I found it creepy either... It would have maybe startled me? But otherwise, I thought it was really interesting/cool.

XD Furby... I remember those. So you're comforted by animals, too? I used to get so spooked all by myself until I got my cats. They sort of make an explanation for all the scary bumps now, I guess. XD

10. Ooo... most of the dolls scare me. >< Not like dummies scare me, but... I don't know if I could collect them myself. ^^;

11. Stella Marris: o.o Well, he sounds like he has a personality. XD Did you ever ask the other DOA member if he did anything like that with them?

Aleksie:Just not a good day for photos. XD I dunno if I could really see Renia looking angry, she has such a happy face. o.o;

12. That is an interesting way to look at it... Maybe that's why I was scared of dummies. I think what scares me most about them is when their jaw drops down or when the eyes move. I always found them way too realistic looking, even if they're wood.

The dollfies don't bother me in that way, though... They look realistic, but they're beautiful and they very much remind me of anime and all. I've loved anime for so long, so maybe I associate that like to them?

13. Is this before or after Vin got a body? I don't know if it would matter, because it would still spook somebody a bit, I suppose. XD I don't typically have Renia in my room, unless I'm awake because my cats are a bit too interested in her... and they occupy my room the most, so... ^^;

14. I still haven't gotten a doll, yet, but my husband has already given strict orders to let him know where and when I pose them somewhere out of the ordinary. Like, say, on his side of the bed in the middle of the night. I do have this story, though:

One of our best friends was getting married (actually, the Best Man at our wedding) so we drove over to be in the wedding party. The bride said it would be fine if we wanted to stay at her parent's house so we went on over there. They had us stay it what was called "The Angel Room" It was packed floor to ceiling with antique porcelain angel dolls. >.< It was the creepiest, most horrible night I've ever had. Not only were the dolls looking at us the whole time, but the bride's mother would come in and say things like "Now, don't go and touch any of them. They don't like that. And leave the hall light on. Angels are creatures of light, see, they don't like the dark. Isn't this the most peaceful room you've ever been in!?" And then she'd just stand there in the middle of the room and get all glassy-eyed. My husband swears they whispered in the middle of the night. I have no idea, I had my head under the blanket and was humming the national anthem or something. We spent one night there and then the bride came up to us after the rehearsal dinner and asked us to find a different place to stay. It turns out her mom was furious because of something we did (or the dolls told her we did) in "The Angel Room." EEEKK!

15. I wish mine would come to life, then they could get a job and pay for their own clothes and things. :]

16. LOL Thats too funny, my mom had a stuffed rabbit plushy that made satanic sounds when the battery started to die, it was a laugh riot.

When I first got Psyche a body she would throw herself around (kicky legs and such.) she would knock her eyes out of place and her hair would fall in her face... shes NS but with her dark red hair she looks so pale. That on top of her hair in her face and eyes rolling back in her head when I put her up-right :o the first time she made me gasp, "It's the girl form the ring!"
      :lol: I had a good laugh. Silly movie.:lol:

17. Yes, I had a Dollstown Estella that use to creep me out at dusk, she seemed to have an eerie look in her eyes whenever the lights were low. I finally turned her head away from me when I was watching TV or online.

18. OMG, SeiCat!! That was quite a story!! Angel room... O_o;;;

And what exactly did you do there to anger the dolls? lol ^^;;

19. SeiCat: Egads... o.o That is just.. really freaky. Both the mom and the dolls. I would have tried to find a hotel. >< Scary, scary night.

Ravyn: XD That's a good point! Gee, it'd be easier to buy more clothes then... I'd teach her to sew.

naughtyfairyspirit: Eyes rolling up in the back of the head? That reminds me more of the Exorcist. Gah. ><

CarolNJ: Awe...

himitsu: Probably didn't find them comforting and that insulted them? .__.;

20. lol that sounds like my grandma, i hope i don't go old and crazy with my dolls. but it's highly likely XD