1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever felt weird about your doll after doing a face up?

Jan 19, 2011

1. The first time I did my doll's face up he ended up looking sick and tired, and his smile seemed weak rather than the relaxed look his blank face had. Such a pathetic look didn't really suit him, so I wiped that one pretty fast. ^^;

2. My very FIRST faceup was so intensely awful that it was scary. I don't think it would have been possible to feel anything other than "weird" about her at that point ;)

3. I do the same thing idrisfynn,
      It usually takes awhile for me to decide how I feel about a new face-up, and since I'm still working on getting better at them, it's sometimes tough to get the colours or the eyebrows to do what I want. Usually once I've messed it up once or twice, I can figure out what it is that I did wrong and re-do essentially the same face only better. XD I have done some truly horrible ones though from when I first started out (I'm so embarrased at how proud I was of them back then XD)

I also have some trouble with eyes- I once put Ed's green eyes on Cass and he looked totally alien. I absolutely did not like it, even though Cass was originally supposed to be a green eyed boy. Conversely, I stuck a dark gray pair on Peitan and she just came to life- they're hers now because they're perfect- even if they don't really go with her hair.

4. I've still not gotten my Beyla the way I want her. Like everything but the eyebrows. Same for my Galena. But I live with the face-up until it gets worn (if it's mostly good) and then try again. One day I'll finish them the way I want them and go "There! That's it!"

5. I had this experience with my Pyrol. I had this specific looking face-up in mind for him but didn't really follow it while I first did it. He ended up looking nothing like I wanted and I felt like selling him since he didn't fit the character. After sleeping over it I decided to give it another go and got the result I wanted. Now he doesn't look weird anymore :)

6. I haven't run into this at all. I just gave my first doll his 4th face-up (1st was company default, next 2 by me). None of them have been the same, and I didn't like how the 3rd came out, but somehow he still manages to look like himself regardless of what I do to his face.

7. I usually order my dolls without faceup. so it a faceup can only make me love them even more!
      BUT sometimes when I order second hand I get dolls with (pretty) faceups D: he wait with that faceup until I get a can of MSC and then yes, it does feel weird and very different xD especially since the faceup I make are usually less good than the one he came with :(

8. My AOD Chi came with black glass eyes and looked sorta old-time-cartoony. I got him bright blue eyes cuz that's what would make him fit his character and I was like "Ah there he is". I was just waiting to get blue eyes til he arived in case he came with blue eyes. I've seen some AODs come with really nice blue eyes.

9. I was really happy with my first face up other than the lips needed to be glossed. Then I messed up the gloss and had to wipe the whole thing. D: I had gotten used to his new face, too, and thought it looked really good. Ah well. It should come out just as good or better the second time around. Hopefully the gloss comes out better. Little too much on the brush and it just looked globby like he was wearing lipstick over horribly chapped lips. D: It was horrible.

10. EDIT: oops. Double posted that last one. n.n'

11. es I have felt weird I mess up my bbb pixies face up that she came with. (She was beautiful) and ever since I can't get her to look right -_-

12. If something bothers me about a faceup even if it's just like 1%, I will tend to wipe it all off and start again no matter how heartbreaking it is to wipe a work i've laboured hours sometimes days over...I just can't be happy about it, unless it's 100% exactly perfect as I wanted it. This is why my fave. character Nikita has had over 7 different versions before I finally stopped.

13. One of my dolls had for quite a while a quick face-up done by me and because that face-up was just a quick and funny one with pink and purple in it, I decided to redo it and chose colours that would make the doll look more mature. When finished it just didn't feel right and it felt like I had a different doll as silly as it may sound. I quickly redid the face-up with pink and purple and it felt right again instantly.

A face-up can make or break a doll for me, but I'm lucky and I can redo them as often as I like.

14. Of course, but I can accept the result. In the worst case is only wipe all up and begin new face up.

15. I've only done the one face up so far (Mercury) And I must say that while I'm pleased with it (I was surprised at what I managed on my first go - not great, but not awful.) I'm starting to notice things that could be improved about it. I don't really feel weird, but I'm noticing things to improve on next time, you know?

16. For me, I don't feel right with a faceup until it's at least close to exactly what I want. And I can't do a faceup if my life depended on it. I tried to so many times on my DoC Yu and they just looked awful. Which made me embarrassed, mostly. xD So, they just have to be good for me to like it and be alright with it.

17. Even when my boy has a sloppy faceup that's missing an eyebrow, I don't feel weird about it... The faceup doesn't change anything about the doll for me, even if the change from one to another is really different, because the sculpt is still the same.

18. My first doll has had five face-ups since I got her a year ago, poor girl. I have had trouble picking out her personality because each time I re-did her face she looked dramatically different. The last time I re-did her face-up was the worst, because I didn't really like the way she turned out looking. The face-up itself was pretty, but she looked like a spoiled rich girl who was going through a goth phase. When I finished the face up I hated it but decided to wait it out since it wasn't a bad face-up on its own and I'd spent a lot of time on it. Eventually I decided just to re-do it since waiting didn't help at all, and now I love her face!

19. Most of my dolls have their original faceup from the production company they come from. I have done two faceups which are fairly good, but I am never happy with my own faceups ever (same with my paintings.. Other artists that I know, seem to have the same problems with this aspect of their own art also). Little "mistakes or irregularities" glaire out at me. This never happens when its someone else's face up. I can ignore irregularities of others. :D Wether it be a Company or local artist. The faceups I have had done by others never weird me out, but my own do.

20. Only three of my dolls have had multiple faceups... (Well, by my hand, I don't know about my secondhand dolls) My first faceup was so awful, I hated it. I redid it and hated it a little less, so I kept on trying different techniques until I was happy with how my faceups came out.
      And then I changed my Obitsu from his first faceup to his current faceup; I felt like I had a completely different doll. It was almost unsettling to look at him. But now I adore his current faceup and I'm trying to put off redoing it, in case it comes out weird and I hate it. XD