1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever given dolls away? and if so why?

Feb 18, 2011

1. I have given a doll as a gift to a friend for a fundraiser for her longtime charity work. I don't regret it and it gives me joy that it was raffled off for a good cause- and helped to raise funds for an important cause.

I have given away heads and a doll to friends. When you have an adequate amount of stuff and you are not using it - why not brighten up another person's day? I have been lucky that I have been gifted with items from friends too, so I guess it's a nice cycle that happens sometimes.

2. I helped my friend's mum pick out a doll and all of the accessories for a friend's birthday. :) She hasn't gotten it yet, but it should be a fun surprise!

While I haven't personally given a doll away, I have done "clothing request" cards for my friends who have dolls. Essentially it's a tell-me-what-you-want-sewn deal where they design and I'll do it. It's good sewing practice for me too. ^^

3. Let's see. I bought a CP DELF Shiwoo for my best friend for her birthday. I did two splits to get her the event heads. And I recently gave her my very first BJD because I wasn't playing with her anymore and it made me sad. I didn't want to sell her so I gave her to someone I knew would pay attention to her.

4. Yes. :) A number of them. And why? because it made me happy to make the recipient happy. ... on one memorable recent occasion it also was the most fun I've had in literally years, planning the surprise with two other people. Oh it was just so great. Everything went absolutely according to plan and we all got called stinky jerkfaces (in the most loving possible way) :)

I've given my two daughters an number of dolls. Most of them they've earned via housework, but not all. An advantage to being an older mom is being able to spoil your kids as though they were your grandkids? ... I guess... ;)

I have also been gifted with dolls out of nowhere, too and can attest to the joy it brings!

5. I've given three of my dolls away, actually - all to family. My first bjd ever was a Dollzone Ying. I didn't have the heart to sell him, but I'd outgrown him. My youngest sister had expressed some interest, so I gave him to her for Christmas (along with a MD Yujin head, some outfits, a pair of eyes and a wig). ^_^ My second doll ever was a Dollzone Yuu, and I ended up giving him to my middle sister. I'd intended to replace him with a Silver Fox Yuu but just never got around to it. He is now my middle sister's favorite doll. She loves him to bits, and I'm thrilled he's still around to ogle. LOL

Then lastly, just this past Christmas, I gave my HZ Ao Zhe Tian to my mother. I'd never really bonded with him, and my mother had always thought he was very attractive. Problem solved! :)

6. I know a little girl who loves my BJDs. I made her one with an OT body and the Obitsu default head to see if she would be careful enough. She was, so I gave her a full Obitsu Haruka for Christmas.

I gave another Obitsu Haruka to someone who lost most of her dolls in a fire.

I'm going to be embarking on an ambitious project over the next year. A number of players on the City of Heroes MMORPG do a fundraiser called "Real World Heroes" that splits the money among a number of charities. I am going to be making a BJD version of one of the signature villains, "Ghost Widow," my husband is going to make a stand for her, we'll have the Devs and "Ghost Widow" autograph it, and it will go into the charity auction. I am really looking forward to it, it is going to be a real challenge!

7. I'd do it if I had the financial means. I know a friend of mine who was really into these dolls, but I've lost communication with her over the years, so I don't know if she ever got one.

8. I once had a blue skinned female doll from ResinSoul (can't remember the model), but for the life of me I couldn't bond with her like I could my boys. So, knowing that a good friend of mine, who really loves BJDs but can't afford 'em 'cause of school, would take good care of her, I wound up giving the doll to my friend.

9. I gave my friend a puki piki. It was damaged and I'd been trying to sell it for the longest time. She'd never seen a doll in person before so I brought it to school and she fell in love.

10. I've given two full dolls and a head as presents. All to the same person to. >.> I spoil her. One of the dolls isn't here yet, since its an event doll and has yet to be shipped. The head is with me and has yet to be sent to her. With the head it was lots of fun. I bought it second hand and didn't tell her that I had bought it. And it was a head she had been wanting to buy but didn't have the money. So when she saw it was gone she came to me about it and I didn't tell her till the next day when she was saying how she couldn't find any more white skin doll heads that were cheaper. I would have held out longer but I love telling people what I got them. XD Her first doll was from me to, as a Christmas present. She picked out everything but I did keep one part of it as a surprise. She wanted steampunk eyes but because of the cost she was gonna settle for just one instead of two. But I ordered two for her instead of one. She didn't know until it showed up at her house. ^^

11. I've never given away a doll, but I did give an Orientdoll (not sure of the mold) to my sister a few years back. I guess in the future, if I tire of a doll, I might give them away to friends/family.

12. I've given two dolls as gifts to two great friends of mine. When I was ordering my CH Hani last year during their x-mas event, I decided to give the second doll to a friend. Then I spent some time working and saving up so I could buy my best friend, who likes dolls but can't afford one, a DZ Hid to shell her favorite character of all time. The friend who has the CH doll is very enthusiastic about BJDs and brings her girl almost everywere, and my best friend who has the ZD Hid loves him a lot and is over careful with him, always keeping him in his carrier and all when she's not playing with him. It's adorable xD

Giving dolls has been a wonderful experience, especially since I knew I was giving them to people who would love them. I wish I had more money so I could buy dolls for more friends but alas, I am but a college student buying dolls with the money I make from selling custom plush toys.

13. Christmas of 2009 was a Jolly Dolly Holiday.

It started because one of my friends wanted a specific resin BJD. I found a deal on Ebay, and quietly collected donations from our mutual friends so we could buy the doll. I had a coupon and some Ebay Bucks that helped, too.

And then, once again on Ebay, a dealer was clearing out Pixies and Sprites in various colors. My Absinthe (seen as my avatar) was evidence of my impulse-control problem; I snagged her at the last minute for minimum bid. Feeling weird about it, I suddenly realized that I wanted to give my best friend a doll for Christmas. I called a mutual friend of ours and asked if she wanted in on the gift, and a blue Pixie was on its way to me.
      But then, my Mom got in on the action and not only won three dolls from the same dealer; she outbid a friend of mine to do it!

I also had another doll, a vampire special edition that I had hunted down. After I had her for a little while, I discovered that I didn't really like her as much as I expected to.

So that Christmas, my one friend got her first BJD, as a gift from a whole bunch of us.
      My friend in Arkansas got HER first BJD, a blue BBB Pixie.
      Another friend who cooed over my vampire doll received the doll with a bunch of clothing as a present, too.
      Plus, my mom gave away several dolls, too. She gave away an RanD doll (yeah, I know, OT) to a friend who hadn't actually crossed over into BJDs yet. She now has two Asian BJDs and has an eye on another one.
      She also gave away a blue Pixie to a friend who had done several face-ups for her. (Hi there, Animuse!)
      She sold the blue Sprite to my friend who she outbid, and she sold the pink pixie that she won to a woman who gave it as a gift to her friend who had just experienced an epic tragedy; it was the perfect thing.

If I could afford to, I'd get all my friends the dolls that they really want. Unfortunately, I'm not wealthy in that way.
      :D

14. I've given dolls to my two eldest daughters, and I'm sure the youngest will get dolls too when she's older.

I've also given away a Woosoo to someone I've never met IRL, without ever actually laying hands on the doll myself! An online friend was in the process of selling him to a mutual friend; he was a shared character in their RP worlds so he was basically moving home, but the sale fell through when she had a whole load of random bad luck land on her - of the expensive kind. :| I think we've all been there at one point or another. Anyway, she couldn't afford the doll anymore, and the friend who was selling couldn't really afford not to sell him. So I stepped in at the last moment and offered to buy him, and he was shipped off with instructions to report back on her reaction when she opened him.

Needless to say, the response was most gratifying, and I was very glad to be in a position to help out. I don't regret it one bit, even though I frequently joke that I must be insane to just give away an original, unmodded Woosoo like that! :lol:

15. I have never given away a full doll- just clothing and accessories. I have wanted to, though, but I don't have the money to easily give away something so valuable. :( Also, among my friends and I there is a wide range of income levels, which has resulted in a kind of unspoken rule: no gift should cost more than $20. It makes things a bit more equal, if that makes sense, so that one person isn't constantly outshining everyone else with birthday and christmas gifts. ;)

If I could, I would give a doll to one of my best friends, who has had her eye on a Sabik since she first saw one. She's a wonderful person and deserves to have the doll she's always wanted, but unless I win the lottery I'll never be able to indulge her. :(

16. I bought a tiny for my closest friend, who is unemployed and so could not buy anything for herself. I wanted to "play dolls" with her.

I have been given two dolls myself and the surprise was absolutely heartstopping.

17. I love that reason SaiChen, buying a doll so you can play dollies with your friend... too cute^^

18. I give dollies away a lot! I have a boxful of tinies that I give to beginner doll owners X3 and they make excellent Christmas an birthday presents <3 I gave my mom a soom AI for Christmas and she loves her to bits.

19. I gave my old 60cm Obitsu girls to my mum to use as clothing models - she was sewing clothes for BJDs. I also gave away a Dollzone Fei - to my artist friend who is in her late 60s. She is an idol of mine and an artistic mentor and I love everything she does. She's become taken with my dolls but she can't afford one, so I gave her my Fei. I know she'll use him in her artwork and do something amazing with him. I am very excited to see how he'll turn out.

20. Not yet. However, I'm hoping to be able to buy a Pipos Cube for the boyfriend's birthday this year with it being the year of the rabbit and him being born in the year of the rabbit etc. ;)
      I also thought about giving one of my floating heads to a friend, simply because I feel he'd appreciate him more than I do.