1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever have that character that just seems impossible to shell?

Mar 10, 2016

1. I've been very careful not to think about shelling any of my existing personal characters, because I know once I shell one I'm going to have to start collecting more and more BJDs to complete the set!

That said, I've been thinking very seriously about trying to shell my favourite fandom character (Shokudaikiri Mitsutada from Touken Ranbu) and it's been impossible finding a doll that I like for him. You'd think it'd be easy since he's a generic handsome asian man but it's been challenging because I'm not fond of overtly masculine faces, and at the same time I don't want to give him a childish face since he's supposed to be an adult bishounen...

2. Yep, pretty much every OC I want to shell is that way. I've found some that are close but none are quite right and I just don't have the money, skill, and/or patience to try and Frankenstein a custom sculpt/body/mod to get it right. I have plenty of other dolls to get while I look for the perfect sculpts, so I'll just keep looking.

3. I'm afraid to shell any of my characters, even though most of them aren't complicated in any way (physically, that is). Not sure why... something about having a physical form for them feels like it would restrict their development in my mind, I guess. I prefer to get dolls based purely on their looks and then create characters to fit them. :sweat But it definitely seems like finding a suitable sculpt for an older character or a less common (in dolls) body type would be the most challenging!

4. Oh boy can I relate!

The current troublemaker is a girl named Marina. I'm looking for a sculpt for her but I want her to be smiling in a certain way and all the ones I find that fit are SDs, and she has to be MSD... I have time before I can afford a new doll but how can I plan ahead of time when the perfect sculpt doesn't seem to exist? Or rather, it does, just in the wrong size entirely.

Then there's various characters from one same story. I already have the main character, a FP65 Chloe, so the others need to look in-scale with her. That's going to be a fun search, haha. I'll have to get them one at a time because of money so hopefully some of the harder ones will have more options by the time it's their turn!

And I don't even want to think about the characters that will require fantasy parts yet...

5. Currently having this with my character Ghost. Finding an MSD sized sculpt where I see it and think 'that's Ghost,' just hasn't happened. I know exactly what I want and I'm not planning on shelling her until I find that perfect sculpt

6. Most of the characters from the book I'm not writing are impossible to shell. There are zero male bjds with afrocentric features that look in their teens. There are zero fat dolls in the size range I play with. There are zero girls with washboard abs and beefy arms AND asian features AND are dark-skinned. I can do Brady since he's white and generically pretty but if I can't have the rest of his friends, what's the point?

7. Gosh I know how you feel! Dark skinned female with Asian features and a toned figure is exactly what I'm looking for a character of mine and there are pretty much none, especially since she's a very dark skin tone.

8. I'm having this same problem, but I make it harder for myself - I collect 70cm+ for my adult dolls at the moment, and I hybrid almost every one of them. Little did I know I got a head whose neck really can't be widened to fit many 70cm+ bodies, and I wasn't that good at additive modding, and I picked the weirdest skintone out there for him.... I'm currently waiting on a Loongsoul Aoyue, and an IOS Jade, whom I'm planning to swap bodies..... HOPEFULLY the Aoyue will look good on that IOS body, because the body is perfect... (and I don't even understand why I needed the Jade, when I could have just gotten a body, but he's probably going to look smoking hot on Loongsoul's nice, young, tough looking body!) I would also reccoment Loongsoul's Aoyue to you and perhaps Impldoll's Nicholas which was my second consideration... My guy is an older man, who'se rather skinny but has upper body strength. He also has a ton of bumps and curves in his facial landscape, so I've been having a lot of trouble finding a good match without doing a bit of sculpting onto heads... Having a nose of any note is a killer. Let alone if you have a very particular set of eyes snugly firm in your headcanon. This will be body number 3 for me and head number 2. You must be smacking your head against the wall by now, though, sheesh. Good luck!

9. I have a convoluted path to the impossible to shell character. I was at DollNorth several years ago when Batchix was there with her then prototype of Orpheus. He was a hand-cast by her and I was immediately smitten by him and had his character rush into being within days. Knowing who he was (Rhas-Khan, God of the Abyss), I set out on the quest to find his lover, Eilian. Because of the height of Orpheus (52cm), I was very limited to the height of Eilian. It took a lot of searching and when Souldoll came out with their Rail sculpt in the Vito line, I knew right away that he was Eilian.

But....

There were delays with the production of Orpheus and even an accident at the casting place (the head melted!) that pushed the release date back repeatedly. The pro-cast was also not offered in the dark grey resin of the artist cast that I fell for and changing Rhas-Khan's skin colour wasn't an option. Batchix offered a special cast in grey when I asked but I couldn't afford it (the Canadian dollar sucks mega hard and conversion from US to CAN was painful in the extreme) since it was a limited time thing. She later came out with her Dark Elf sculpt and he was offered in a lavender-grey resin, but again, I didn't have the cash (having the cash is a set-in-stone rule for me) so no purchase was possible.

Fast forward to a year ago and Soom was having a limited time sale on one of their Idelian boys. He would've be fab as Rhas-Khan but they were also about to do an FCE for their fairy boys and I desperately want a Kremer head on the Azur mer-body. The 2 sales were overlapping slightly with the Idelian being first sale and I could only afford one doll. When the FCE opened, the Azur mer-body wasn't available. I immediately posted the question to see if they would be adding it but it was already the weekend and didn't get an answer from Soom until Monday saying they were not releasing the Azur mer-body for the FCE. The Idelian sale ended on the Saturday. So, no Soom Idelian as Rhas-Khan.

I've toyed with the idea of solving some of the frustration by upsizing their characters into at least 60cm boys but Eilian is adamant that he is the Rail sculpt and isn't budging despite my best efforts to port him into a different sculpt. So Rhas-Khan is the impossible to shell character as long as I stay in the 52cm size that Eilian demands and Eilian is the impossible to shell character if I try putting them into the 60-65cm range.

10. Oh very much so. Trying to find a a YoSD sized doll with a 7 inch head for my character May Vashal. I really want her to be of YoSD size with bright, open eyes, a smiling face and her head has to be at the least 7 inches because I have a wig that would be perfect for her. I'm having quite the tough time with this one.

11. You could always sew an elastic inside the wig so it'll fit around smaller heads, I haven't tried it myself, but I had it highly recommended to me for the same issue

12. Absolutely!

Eletha is on her 3rd or 4th attempt at coming "to life" everyone else has been easy and the first attempt worked perfectly, but no not her. I'm hoping this is the last time.

13. Midnight. The weird emo God who just wants friends. He needs a very pensive, open type expression, and a skinnier body, and he needs to be transparent light or dark blue.

14. It's actually not a character of mine I really want to shell Koujaku from Dramatical murder he's the one in my profile pic but nothing so far I've found some sculpts for the other characters but Koujaku is has one of my favorite routes and I'm completely lost *sad face*

15. I have this with the adult form of my Soom Afi, Ramin.
      Yes, there are sculpts that look like an adult version of it (like the Soom Dia), but this is just not what I want for him.

The character is supposed to be beautiful.
      Like, a really, really handsome man that gives off a certain vibe that makes others instantly like him.
      His eyes should be open and not big but...hm, full of wonder and energy?
      I want him to look like some lawful good hero in shiny armor, all beautiful and well loved.
      I have this super flowery description of how I want him to look like to others, but so far there was no sculpt that made me go "yes, that's him!".
      And of course it needs to be the right size AND right skintone (tan, but not too light/too dark/too orange) and it should be possible to put that head on a body that can be matched.
      Iplehouse had some nice heads, but the bodies suck and they are hard to hybrid.
      Granado I still hope for the right one.
      Already see it coming he will turn out to be some fancy artist head in the end <_>

It's probably so difficult because he's basically the hero of the story and last one to come home, but he's just so important that I can't settle for less.
      I have a Granado Pancho here that I tried to use for him, but it doesn't work at all and he's really just a placeholder :doh

16. Having to put on hold the search for my OC, due to difficulty finding a YoSD with the correct head circumference and have, instead, decided to make my next doll Erik from Phantom of the Opera. Yet another difficult search. Me and my preferences. :evil:

17. @TohruIchi, there was a "horror" head sculpt recently that I thought would make a wonderful Erik, and had it been in MSD size, I would have gotten it to make exactly that doll. Good luck with your search!

For me, it was my demon Arioch, who is kind of a grey eel. I was always willing to compromise on color, but the particular body of his was something that I figured I'd never get, until FairyLand released the concept art for their seahorse mermaid last year. It's not exact, but it's closer than a typical mermaid, and definitely closer than I ever thought I'd get at MSD size, so I'm satisfied with it for now, especially since I figured I'd never manage to put him together at all without sculpting the body myself.

18. Yes. I've given up on shelling a private OC of mine. Nothing fits him. :s

#38 Selenae, May 18, 2016
      Last edited: May 18, 2016
    19. I would totally have a doll of The Iron Bull from Dragon Age: Inquisition if I could, but that would never happen. He'd have to be like 100cm tall and weigh 20lbs and be way beefier (no pun intended lol) than existing dolls :o
      [​IMG]

20. OOH! What is this magical horror sculpt you speak of? Can you send me a PM with its information, if you have it? I'm most interested.