1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever panicked and bought a doll?

Jun 24, 2011

1. This happened to me too. I got a head for a character doll, but it didn't work out which disappointed me a lot and I wanted a replacement as soon as possible. Then I stumbled upon Napidoll Aesh and bought him without too much thinking. I'm glad I did, because a few weeks later Napidoll discontinued Aesh without warning and the head is perfect for the character.

I also sort of impulse bought an Elf Elly Banji doll from Dollmore. For quite a while I've wanted a kit to assemble myself and a Banji doll, so when Dollmore had a sale of a boy Banji kit for half the price of an assembled doll I was tempted. When I read it was a special discounted sale of yellowed parts, I knew there wouldn't be many kits, so I jumped on it. :sweat

2. I did not panic , I bought a doll ,more like everyone wanted this one bjd and all the excitement cost me to buy also. This happen before and happen now. Latest is Leeke Mikaila. Up to right now not sure if I should kick my self or be happy. I am very nervous and hope that by the time I get her I would love her to bits if not she will be up for sale. Part of me is excited bec. i really love that body of hers but not sure about the face. I am worried I will hate the face.

3. I've done this several times. Most recently with my Crobidoll LE5 Tei. I believe that Crobidoll announced him less than a week before he was released, so it didn't give me a lot of time to think. I had finally decided that I wouldn't get him, since I'd have to wake up at 4:00 AM and since he was limited to only 5, I thought I didn't have a high chance of getting one. (Plus he was kind of expensive.) However, on the day he was released, a thunderstorm woke me up around 3:50 AM. I panicked and ran to the computer to order him, and somehow succeeded despite my not-so-fast Internet connection. And then I actually managed to go back to sleep somehow. Something similar happened with Switch Javi Siesta version, but I didn't manage to get him initially. (I got one in the lottery later though.) I think probably all quantity limiteds induce a certain amount of panic.

Oh, and a final one: Angelheim WS Kozy. Angelheim was having a big liquidation sale last December and I'd planned to try for a Luka MSD. I overslept and the Lukas were all sold out, though. However, Kozy in WS was available. I'd never seen a Kozy except in tan skin, but I worried they would sell out, so I bought him. I believe he sold out later that day. He's similar to the Luka I wanted, so I'm happy that I got him.

Also, I've noticed that I need a certain amount of panic to buy a doll. If it's not limited/on sale/on the MP, I'm less likely to buy it because there's no fear of being unable to get one later.

4. My Volks Miruku was an impulse buy. I had wanted her since her release in 2008 but she was a Japan only release. Last fall I had been browsing Yahoo Japan Auctions and there she was listed with a very good Buy It Now price. I quickly purchased her knowing that if I did not then someone else would grab her and regret it. I also have a doll fund and limit myself to browsing only when its full.

5. Yes, just happened with my Soom Amber. I had always wanted one from the moment I saw her. When I had marketplace access I just had to peak and see if one was for sale. When I saw her, I closed the lid to my computer and just sat there with a stupid smile on my face. She was everything I had dreamed of.

I really didn't think I could afford her, but I had been saving for a Ringdoll Frankenstein, so I had at least half. Thankfully I had also just started working so I had just barely enough to finally take her home! I was quite surprised that she hadn't sold sooner because she was very reasonably priced and SO BEAUTIFUL! I just HAD to jump on it! I don't regret it at all, though I really can't buy anything else right now XD She was so worth it, and I would never ever sell her <3

6. I didn't exactlu panic but I did get anxious. A couple of years back, there was a release of a limited doll and she was selling fast on the first day of sale. Normally I like to take a bit of time before I decide to buy a doll but I liked this one and was afraid that she would sell out if I waited too long so I went ahead and ordered her on the day she went up for sale. She's a great doll and I don't regret the decision.

Sometimes I wonder if others do the same thing~they think they like a doll but don't want to take a chance and wait only to have it sell out so they go ahead and buy it pretty hastily and then get it home and realize pretty quickly that it's not something they want after all so it ends up for sale in the Marketplace soon after that.

7. I've never 'panicked' so far. Maybe felt a little pressured when a limited doll was involved but nothing to make me go crazy and spend my necessary expenses money on. Though, I'm sure the day will come especially if it involves a doll I really like, is limited, and somehow I know that 3 or less are still for sale. Maybe then I'll pull some strings to make it work.

8. I panicked when I bought my Soom Lazule! It was right after Soom notified that he would be discontinued, so I bought him immediately with the impression that if I didn't bond with him that he would be sold.
      As it turns out I ended up loving him (and he isn't discontinued anymore!) so... everything turned out better than expected :)

9. I was rather panicky the days before ordering my Spiritdoll Dark :p He was limited to 50 pieces and already for sale for a few months so he would be sold out any time soon ...
      I had to collect the money on paypal and convince the bf xD and when I ordered him and paid him, I could finally sleep peacefully again xD

10. I did this with two of my dolls. One was my Bambicrony Ozzy's Child Pepe. I had been wanting her for a few months and BC announced they would be discontinuing tan dolls for a while. I had heard of problems with other incoming dolls so I put off buying her but was very sad about it. The day I got MP access, I spotted one for sale and had exactly enough money in savings to buy her so I did. :)

And just over a week ago I saw ANother Secret had some new heads available. I was pondering a Mr. Rabbit last time around and he sold out so fast I never had a chance. When I saw Mr. Wolf's face and teeth and ears I knew I had to have him so I ordered him without hesitation. I really was panicked because I knew how fast he would sell out and thought I may have been too late. I don't own an SD and never thought I would but I will worry about that later :)

11. this sort of happened to me on my first doll. I had found him (Dollshe Saint) , and had made a plan to safe up for him (for about 6 months).
      And that was the moment the company decided to close of an unknown periode of time. I was heartbroken because I simply did not have the money to get the doll. so i missed out, and just started browsing the other company's again.
      About two weeks later I stopped by luts, and found out they were still agents for the company I wanted my doll from , and had some in stock. thats when I panicked and took out backup money to buy him so I would not miss out again.

12. I wouldn't exactly call it a panic purchase, but I've bought dolls before because I knew that if I didn't purchase that doll right then, my chances of getting it would be almost nonexistant. This is mostly in relation to MDs from SOOM which come up for excellent prices occasionally on DOA. Doll prices always rise on limited dolls, but sometimes the increase seems a bit steep or is hard to manage, so when I see a sculpt I desperately want that's up for a fantastic price, I will often buy it even if I wasn't exactly in the market for that doll in a serious way at the time.

13. @Atwan that is very true. And since Soom has monthly dolls you really do have to be quick

14. Absolutely! In fact it just happened last week. I so do not need to be purchasing any dolls right now. I mean REALLY do not need to be. However, that darn Rosette posted the "sold out" label on their Summer Marguerite. This doll is me. Everything about her is me. I'd been wanting her ever since she was put on the website, I think 2 years ago, but since she never sold out, I thought I had time. So, I contacted Soom and they had 1 left for me to purchase. So, I rushed to order her. I went to put her on layaway, but since her purchase needed to go on a credit card anyway, I figured what is the difference between a layaway or a full payment. Either way, I now need to figure out how to pay for her. So, I am getting my Marguerite and that is it for me for a long, long....long while, lol.

15. I almost did with my Iplehouse Asa, it was when they were having their moving sale and I knew that she was what I wanted for my first doll and I had gotten all the way to the payment which wasn't working out because I was using firefox and I got the email that said my payment hadnt gone through. It was at that point that I just took a big breath and told myself I wasnt going to rush.

I did still buy her and while the sale was going on :) I just made much better decisions in the end.

16. Yeah, I've been guilty. Twice.

First time, a few years back, for some reason or other, I thought Soom was going to sell out of the VoA Namu kit (2 dolls you had to assemble yourself). I had been saving for them, but I was unemployed at the time and funds were a bit tight. I used my credit card to buy them and it took a while for me to pay them off.

The second time was when Fairyland released the two Feeple 65 kids. The doll store I usually adopt my FL kids through had only one day for customers to place their orders. I panicked and put two dolls onto my credit card. It took me a few months to pay off their cost from the CC. I love 'em though and I don't regret the purchase.

I have a feeling I will eventually panic once again.

17. Yup. The first release of the IOS ASYD head. There were only 3 and people were freaking out trying to order throught the boards. So I pretty much ordered instantly with no thought at all. I've had him just over 3 years now and regret nothing :3

18. I wish I HAD, with the Souldoll Hanged Man!!! I dont think I will find one of those any time soon!

19. I haven't yet but I probably should have. xD I missed out on Soom's Danube! Oh well. After I missed his order period, I bought Souldoll's Chiron in NS instead because their face and expression are pretty similar. So...if Chiron turns out to be perfect for the character, I won't be regretting missing out on Danube.

20. I saw Migidoll Sky Guys Ryu and I instantly knew I wanted him, but the price scared me. A few days later I realized the implications of his being limited (and thus, his outfit was limited) to 10. It shocked me into getting him right away, even though I really, really should not be buying dolls right now. I'd wanted a Ryu or Miho for a while, but it was the outfit and the promo pictures with the "honey brown" wig that did me in. XD

A day later he was sold out! ;o;
      -mega sigh of relief-

I hope I don't "panic" anymore--I don't think my funds can handle it! I never thought I'd get a LE doll either, but I guess it happened. :3