1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever panicked and bought a doll?

Jun 24, 2011

1. Panic is perhaps not the exact emotion, but if I find that a doll I have long coveted and assumed would be available for some time is being discontinued, she/he moves instantly to the top of the list and if possible is put on layaway or ordered at the first possible moment. I don't have very many dolls on my wishlist, but the ones that are there have been carefully thought out and planned for. I know from experience that if I really want a doll, it is best to order as soon as possible and avoid the secondary market.

2. YES! Very recently too - like 2 weeks ago! When I bought my first fairyland PukiPuki last year, there were a bunch of sets that were on sale at the time. After he arrived, my sister wanted one and ordered a PukiPuki full package. After hers came, I decided that I wanted to get the same set... but I found that it was sold out!

It's all very obvious now, but I really thought those PukiPuki sets will always be available (for some weird reason). Fortunately, the one I really had my eye on was the Caramel Lily set which was still available (also available as of this writing too). So I frantically put my first layaway payment down so he can be ordered and that I can definitely have him in 4 months.

Unfortunately, I am am now in 2 layaway plans. Under normal circumstances, I can manage the payments, but I recently had car problems (like three days ago) and have to spend $1k of my savings to fix it, so now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Fortunately, I have enough for food and bills, but it means I can't go out or spend money on anything else for the next two months - especially if I want to make the layaway payments.

Other than the two dolls on layaway, the only one I really care to get is the Soom mini gem Aren collection and she's currently sold out and might not even be restocked at all. I'm pretty happy about that! On the flip side, if she became available, say, tomorrow, I would freak out... And probably take out a loan for her.

I suffer so much for these dolls!

3. I sort of panicked when I saw a modded Fantasy doll Amber for sale for $50 (no not a typo) and I couldn't resist buying her.

4. Eh heh heh... >,< I did that a few days ago! I found out about the Crobidoll Tragedy dolls on the 20th and they came out on the 19th. I spent a few minutes posting about my 'tragedy' of missing a Yo sized Lance (always wanted one and thought I could never get the Kitten Lance, and this new boy was in Cookie cream skin!) when a BJD friend PMed me that they were still available on DOLK!

I had him ordered 30 minutes or so after seeing him, I've never gone from seeing to buying that fast before, so I was between elation and shock. :sweat I figured everything out after that and sold my AS Kimi (the previous shell of the character) to a local friend and I couldn't be happier with my panic purchase! ^^

5. I'm not really panicking, but 5stardoll Tumnus was far down on my list of dolls I wanted, so was Aiden. But now with this event I'm bumping him up. So you could call it a panic buy, buying a doll now that was like... 30th on my list xD

6. My first doll.
      I first thought I will buy a MSD but finally I got enough money to buy a SD13.
      I went Sato to make a FCS, I created it and finally I was confused about the price within or without taxe, I misunderstood, panicked and canceled my FCS, And bought a Megu 13.

After back home, I understood my mistake, I had enough money for my FCS, I was a little sad because I didn't love so much my Megu 13 head.
      But soon after I bought the head I wanted and sold my Megu head, no more regrets.

One doll I bought because she looked like the graal, DIM Odelia, head as Megu, body as U-noa, but when I got it, I hated her color so pink, her body was not easy to pose, I sold her immediatly and saved to get the one I really wanted, a U-noa, my real graal.

7. I try not to panic buy but find it hard to resist sometimes. Particularly after a couple of drinks :doh If I've missed out on a doll I really want, I tend to buy the closest thing to it in panic that I won't ever find the original doll ever again, but things do have a strange way of working out in this hobby.

8. Yes, all the time. That's how I ended up with a pukipuki and a soom trond. :doh I regret nothing.

9. I did with a Limited doll that I wanted. I put her on my credit card which I sort of feel bad about, cause I hate charging things when I know I won't have the money to pay it off totally. But anyway I did, and I'm glad because she wound up out of stock very shortly afterwards.

10. No never but I'm glad you got her. I think the harder you've had to save up for a doll the more you love it. :)

11. I'm panicking a little about Infinitidoll Ryan >~<

12. Yes I have...I call those my "Impulse Buy Dolls". I can also tell you that I always end up selling those as well. (_ _)

13. She just arrived two days ago, and I am madly in love. I know that if I hadent jumped and gotten her when I did, I probably never would have, as I juuuust got laid off from work. So! good timing XD

14. Well, I for one am glad to hear things worked out for you! Well, about the doll, not the laid-off-ed-ness. ^^; But grats on the doll!

My first doll was something of an impulse, not quiiite panic, but there were some hints of it. I'd been saving and stalking the MP for a year (literally, a year), in search of the right doll, mostly looking at Dollfie Dreams. After lots of "can't affords" and one missed opportunity on Y!JA due to a banking snafu, I was getting a little pessimistic.

So, when a DDDy showed up on the MP, with multiple accessories for a price I usually saw just head and body go for, I had this moment of dumb shock. Deer in headlights. And it was a lucky thing that I was at my parents' for my summer vacation at the time, because otherwise she probably would have ended up an impulse "no". (Yeah, where many people have issues with impulse buying, I impulsively talk myself out of buying. This has lead to plenty of regret in the past.) When I told my mom what I'd found, and that I'd found the post almost immediately after it went up, she told me to jump on it, so, with her encouragement and more than a little trepidation, I did. After all, I'd diligently checked daily for a year and hadn't seen a deal this good. And all this in the span of about three minutes. XD

So, while it wasn't as much of a panic as some of you are describing, it certainly was bordering on out-of-character for me, so I had about a week of saying, "I can't believe I'm actually getting a doll" at random intervals, and I wouldn't have done it if my mom hadn't pointed out that she'd sell fairly quickly if I didn't try for her. No regrets either, though I'll admit she wasn't the doll project I'd really been seriously planning for. (She was kind of my what-if plan more than anything!)

15. Yes, when Iplehouse Benny was first released as a limited I really wanted her and since I have a hard time finding female dolls I like I kind of panicked. I didn't have enough money myself, being a student, but my sister was really nice and lent me the money. I kind of wish they would've said they were going to release her as a basic doll because then I could've waited and bought her with my own money instead of borrowing it (being in a debt sucks... ).

I also felt quite a bit of panic when Dollshe had their half price event, I didn't see it until it was over and was devastated that I had missed it, but then a day or so after they put it back up! I went and ordered a saint which I've admired for a very long time but never thought I would get. Luckily this was after christmas eve so I had the money~

16. I prefer to buy my dolls second-hand, which causes me to 'panic buy'. I collect Lati's and I tend to go for the Limited or Special versions, so if I see a wish-list doll come up on ebay or a forum, I will put her on my cc and then work like a dog to pay her off. I never have money saved because I buy all of my dolls this way, so I'm always paying off the cc. I know it's not an ideal situation, but I never know when these girls may appear again!! I do try and take some time to think things through before buying a doll, though, because I have bought girls in the past that I have then ended up selling quite soon after, either because I have regretted the purchase or a better doll has come along!

17. Hmm, no, not really. But I was planning on buying my first doll after my birthday in September, when I would have gotten some money to spend. BUT, I came over a group order on the Norwegian doll-forum I'm a part of, arranged by the face up artist I wanted to hire for doing my doll's face up. But I misread the ordering date, and thought I had a month before ordering. But I eventually found out I only had some days. That wasn't really a problem, because I eventually found out I had enough money at that time to order a doll! So now I'm waiting for it to arrive at Miu's place, so that she can do his face up and send him to me.

18. This is me every month "Hmmm....eat or buy a doll?" hahaha happens to the best of us

19. Kind of. More than once, I've bought stuff when I'm upset and that stuff is almost always doll related. Fortunately, I don't spend money that needs to go to something else like essentials; even when upset I have the sense to know what my priorities are but I will pluck out of my savings to buy a doll if I feel it'll make me feel better. It usually does. 8D I'd say probably 4 or 5 of my dolls have come from angry purchasing.

20. I've almost done this...when I heard that Soom was discontinuing their Super Gems, I was inches away from buying a Lazule, because I thought he'd be tricky to get on the marketplace. I talked myself out of it, because I'd just paid for a custom sculpt and couldn't really justify buying another doll so soon. I'm glad I did, because the Super Gems are still lingering, and I've had more time to save money so that buying him won't make quite as much of a dent in my wallet. But if a similar situation were to happen again...I can't say I wouldn't make a panic purchase.