1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever panicked and bought a doll?

Jun 24, 2011

1. I've almost done this...when I heard that Soom was discontinuing their Super Gems, I was inches away from buying a Lazule, because I thought he'd be tricky to get on the marketplace. I talked myself out of it, because I'd just paid for a custom sculpt and couldn't really justify buying another doll so soon. I'm glad I did, because the Super Gems are still lingering, and I've had more time to save money so that buying him won't make quite as much of a dent in my wallet. But if a similar situation were to happen again...I can't say I wouldn't make a panic purchase.

2. Just did as well. I was desperate to get a Souldoll today after I managed to get $512.00 into my bank account. I loved the SD Vito Sharics and I tried to pay his order through paypal, but paypal was being a big dick and kept saying that they couldn't pay with the card (even though I've never used it before, so the card's brand new) and bought Sharic's through DDE (Denver Doll Emporium) instead, especially since the library is closing soon.
      Ka-Ching! It comes with the random hair and eyes! Whooo! xD

Edited

3. I haven't panic bought a doll..... yet ;) But I can easily see myself doing something like this! These little guys and gals are just sooooooo addictive. Is there a resinaholics anonymous I can join?

4. Well, about a year or more ago I started looking for my first doll, I absolutely adored an SD I found on Junkyspot, but I still kept my eyes open for other dolls. When I found Dollmore (around last December) I instantly fell in love with their Sona boy. :D A few days later I ordered him~ :) I'm not sure I could call that an impulse buy, because I, upon seeing the boy Sona, researched Dollmore's quality and service, etc... I only have to say I would never regret my buy! :aheartbea

Although, a few months ago when I was saving for my second doll, I had saved up a little more than enough money to buy 5Star Doll's Aiden and a wig and some clothes for him. I had almost ordered him from DenverDoll as an impulse, but I a mental slap-in-the-face, because I had been saving up for so long for a different doll. :doh I still haven't bought Aiden, but he's currently #1 on my wishlist. :D

5. This happened with my Lazule. I had done TONS of research, and eventually came across the news he and the other standard Super Gems were being discontinued. However, it had been an old, months old post from Soom, and he was still there...so I bought him, but cancelled the order the next day because I needed the money elsewhere.

Then I stalked the site until mid December and noticed Lupin sold out, so I panicked and put Lazule on layaway. Paid him off about a week later, lol. I was terrified, I had fallen for him so hard and would have been a very sad panda if I never got him. But to this day he's still available, so...idk what Soom is up to. :?

6. I haven't bought a doll out of panic, but I certainly bought one out of stress/depression. (The panic came later, when I realized what I'd done.)

7. I had this happen just recently with a limited doll at Dear Mine. She was limited to 3 worldwide. I kept checking the site everyday, is she gone yet was always on my mind. Actually I contacted them about layaway because I was freaked out that she would be gone. And the next day it said sold out, so I thought I had missed out. But really they just put the last one on layaway for me. So lol, a sigh of relief.

8. Impulse, yes--panic, not yet. xD

9. Recently I got obsessed with a doll [Crobidoll's- Camille ver. Hansel Limited]
      It wasn't til I saw that it was sold out at crobidoll that I lost it, I had to find a way to get it, lucky found a dealer
      and it was still available! and there laid the question, Should I buy it? I knew I was going to regret not getting it
      and since it's Limited time wasn't on my side, so I just click "Add to Cart" and "Check out" o 3o
      I know I'm not the only one who has done this and want to hear your stories, mainly to see what was the main factor as to your decision.

If I missed a thread like this feel free to erase and/or lead me to the right path.

10. Yes, and this is why I had a nearly $600 debt to my parents for the entire summer 8D;

Long version: I noticed that Zion had sold out at Angelheim, and got really depressed because I thought I'd never be able to get him. I see him at Junky Spot, panic because I think they only have one or two, and beg my parents to let me get him even though I'd only saved $200-300 for him. They caved, and thus I was in debt for the whole summer!

11. I have, Unidoll basicly, died, before I had a chance to get a Unidoll Jace. Later I found him at a dealer.
      I ran to my mother and cried and jumped up and down for at least three minutes untill she agreed to help me get him.
      Best thing that ever happened to me~ I still owe her money though....

12. I have panic doll orders all the time... Some of them are overpriced buy-now options I had my auction agent use for me at Yahoo Auctions Japan, everytime a new Volks boy I love is released. The first ones which show up at J!A on the day of a dolpa are very expensive and only a few - and I always think I have no other chance before they get sold out. Afterwards I regret it all the time when the cheaper ones show up at the auctions around After Event a few weeks later.
      I also bought a second Unidoll Jace head and an Ark head after Unidoll announced them to be discontinued. That time I was quite broke, but I had to get those heads which I never regretted.

13. LEs do this to me all the time. Then again I have a major shopping problem to begin with... I have a horrible feeling that if I don't get what I want to purchase RIGHT THEN, someone else will buy it immediately and I'll never see it again! ;-; That's what I did with my big Leeke girl, but I don't regret it. Normally when I have feelings about something, they stick. I just need to figure out how to get rid of that awful feeling of urgency to buy stuff as soon as I lay eyes on it all before I go into massive debt. :sweat

14. just happened to me..DF-h had a sale and I just saw Nangong at a good price..and bought him immediately even if he's not on my wishlist..I just fell for him the first time I saw him..:)

15. I don't know if I would say panic but this happened to me recently. Souldoll decided to discontinue some of their molds and the Paolo was way down my list of dolls to buy. I hemmed and hawed over it for a few days and stuck him on layaway cause I knew if I didn't get him I'd kick myself down the road when I finally was looking to get that character. I'm a bit poorer now and my first SD is on his way which is a little O_O but I'm happy that I did it.

16. Kind of, yeah..but with different circumstances for the panic-buying? It's not about the sculpts I want selling out--none are LEs, they're all pretty sturdy "classics," not specials that'll be tossed and never released again. But.. I'm looking into grad school, and in about a year from now, maybe two, I'll have more responsibilities, especially more financial responsibilities, once I move out with my partner and stuff. My partner already nags me for he amount I spend on dolls. >.< So I've been trying to buy up as many as I can before I have to commit to...life, because it seems like it'd be easier to save up little bits for clothes/etc, when I'm on my own, rather than full dolls. :S

(But of course, he gave me a lecture a week or two ago, about how I'm buying all these dolls/doll things for myself, and never chip in, offer to buy dinner for us or anything, blah blah blaah, guhhh.)

17. This happens to me last year. I am still a newbie and falls under the spell of this elf. lol
      He is "limited" so i asked how many do they have of him. And the lady said there's only two of them left after that they wont order anymore. Got him from DDE by the way. So i hurried and put him on layaway for couple of month. He's my very first boy. <3

18. Well this is happening to me lol
      I have not bought the doll yet.
      But, I had extra money from a summer internship. I was planning to buy a new lens for my camera. And I found out that in october, there would be a Unoa pre-command period.
      I really thought (and I still think that actually), that I had to jump at the chance : I have enough money, one of my best friends went to live in Japan few months ago, I don't know when I will be able to order a brand new Unoa again, and if that time arrives, I might not have the money anymore, etc etc.
      So it's a considered decision, but took in a sort of panic state! :)

19. Panic, panic... Hmm, no. But impulse, oh yeah. Totally. XD

20. Yes! I know the feeling of pressing the "order" button and then being slightly horrified..."what have I done?!?! But I had to!" I feel like I'm always stressed things are going to sell out in the dolly hobby (because the good stuff always does), and so when I see something I want I tend to just get it because I so often regret it later (I didn't order Spiritdoll Rouge GAHHH). So if I see a girl that calls to me, I tend to impulsively put her on layaway (even if I'm a bit beyond my budget :p)