1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever panicked and bought a doll?

Jun 24, 2011

1. How I wish I could! Sometimes when I see a limited doll, I go into "I MUST GET IT!" mode. Sadly, I don't have the capabilities to buy them at once. Very depressing.

2. There is a fine line between "panicking" and "jumping on a hot opportunity as soon as it presents itself". If you chase LE or HTF dolls, you often don't get a very long soul-searching period to make your decision! I've had to make very fast decisions countless times while I built my collection-- I knew exactly what I was looking for, I knew how hard to find the doll was, I had money set aside in the event that he appeared-- so when he did appear, I was ready to jump.

Nowadays, it's easier to buy LEs directly from the company, because more companies limit their editions by sales-period instead of by quantity. But still, if I fall in love with an LE10 I know to act sooner instead of later. It's like a souffle; you wait for it, it doesn't wait for you.

With sale items, or to-be-discontinued items, sometimes it's trickier to distinguish panic from a crime-of-opportunity... when a doll I've liked is going to be discontinued, I too have the urge to just grab it before it goes away! But then I have to stop & think for a minute-- usually overnight does the trick-- about whether it's really True Love, or just a combination of Mad Infatuation + Good Sale-Price. (When something is on sale, infatuation can REALLY look exactly like true love. ;;^^)

3. Yes... I bought a doll i was doubting about, but then there was a promotion that i thought omg so cheap...but when i got the doll i thought it looked horrible, totally not like the online pics. Never will i spend that much at a whim >_<

4. Ok, so I may have bought Justine, my Cherishdoll tanned demon Chubby, out of panic. I really liked the Demon Chubby, and got a notice that they weren't going to be produced after a certain event. I saw a tanned one on the market place after they stopped making the sculpt, so I had a "OMG it has to be fate... I'll never have another chance!" moment and immediately set up to put her on layaway. It may have been panic induced, but I don't regret it a bit!

5. Yes I did, once, with DollZone's Moment and Anson. They were being discontinued and I knew it was now or never, so I bought them both. I felt bad about it for a few weeks afterwards, and almost ashamed to talk about it as I broke my own doll-rules by ordering them. But even then, thinking it over again I knew I would do the same again, bad feelings or not.

I usually don't fall for LE, so the LE that I encountered until now were either the 'out of stock' or 'Company might be gone' kind of Limited. And while I find it stressful to buy expensive dolls on short notice I feel the aftermarket hunt can be worse, especially if what you're looking for is really rare or sought-after. This means that with dolls sometimes it can be better to buy now and maybe re-think later. Uncomfortable, for me at least, but true nonetheless.
      The way it is now if it really doesn't work out I will have the possibility of resale, which is a better position IMO then wanting to buy two rare LE sculpts.

6. Im panicking because the doll I wanted first is an msd but I want an sd, but if Im going to get the msd I will have to order her before the 29th, so Im panicking on wether or not to order her or get an sd. But I havn't found an sd yet. Haha, confusing?

7. I did for my LeekeWorld Mabel. She belonged to a friend and when she decided to sell Tamsyn, I panicked and told her I would buy her. I loved Tamsyn before she became my doll, and the thought that perhaps she will be leaving our local doll group and that I wouldn't be able to see her triggered something. I didn't have enough money to get her, but luckily my friend was also interested in her and we decided to adopt her as co-owners.

It's worked out great, I love her to death, and I don't regret the purchase one bit, but it did put me in a little bit of a pinch financially in that sort of situation. I would like to say that this probably won't happen to me again, but I have so many limited dolls on my wishlist I may very well eat my words soon, hahaha!!

8. I wouldn't say panic, exactly, because Iplehouse was kind enough to give me all of february to get her, but the fact that Isar is limited definitely factored heavily into my decision to go ahead and buy a doll. xD Before her, I'd been waffling about buying Asa. (I still will buy an Asa someday. I wanna have a male Asa.)

9. Panic may not be the right word exactly. But I find the whole bjd market atmosphere highly charged by all the SOLD OUT flashing signs that seem to stay up forever on the web pages. Reminding me that so many of these dolls are not always going to be there. That atmosphere is created in many different ways. I don't mind. I think it adds to the excitement. That we have the secondary market available to us helps rescue us from ourselves if our decisions are not always what we want to live with forever.

But so far, I haven't been able to let one go. I sold a Soso and then turned around and bought another Soso because I missed her. I think the panic comes from the fear that I will regret my decision to miss an opportunity. Yeah, that affects me.

10. I did this last year. I decided I wanted a Saint somewhere in january, which was just after the Pure Body event has ended. I was very disappointed and decided I would buy one later in the year but I still couldn't help going back to the page to look at the dolls. And then one day there was one pure body from a cancelled order that became available! I have never bought and paid the doll as fast as that day :D and all the time I was half sure that was a bug on the page and they will tell me I can't have him.
      By the way, after thirteen months I'm still waiting for this Saint ;_;

11. HAhaha. I'm always panicking when I buy dolls.
      So I close my eyes....and when I open them, I'm already on Paypal checking out.

12. Given that DZ is discontinuing some of the molds I've had my eye on for a while, yes I'm panicking! I already have a Cherry (TS) but her mom was gonna be another Cherry (YS), and her friend was gonna be an Orlando (PS). Panicking because I'm trying to pay off my CC and really therefore shoooould only get one, if any. Even with layaway I really can only afford one. Gah, agonizing choices!

13. When I first got into BJD's a few years ago, I spotted a Souldoll "Tiny" Music Edition. She was perfect in every way. I waited to long and never managed to snag her. Now I feel like anytime I go to buy a doll I like, I can barely wait a day or two before making up my mind. Does this happen to anyone else?

14. Sometimes I feel "resin fever" urgency to buy a doll, which is made worse when I see a doll I like that is a limited. But I have learned that I often don't like them when they finally arrive and end up passing them along. That's marketing for you: creating a sense of urgency to buy a product for fear it will no longer be available. I'm trying to be more mindful of this and only making doll purchases when *I'm* ready.

15. Whenever I see a doll I really want come available I get that feeling, but dolls are pretty low on the budget and sometimes by the time there's money there's no more doll. Eventually they'll restock or for limiteds they'll end up on the auction block and I'll get another chance.

16. I've always wanted a fullset Chloe MNF from Fairyland. But I only discovered her after she went out of stock and even if she had been in stock, I'd never have had enough to buy her. But I don't feel too bad about it, I'd love to have her, but it's no big deal xDDD I can't ever see myself getting an LE to be honest =3

17. I have gotten to the point in this hobby where, if I don't have the money in time to buy a doll, I just figure it was not meant to be. Even if I REALLY wanted that doll, I figure it was just not in the cards. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be available second hand or maybe the company will sale it again. But, either way, I deal with the outcome, whatever it may be. :D

I have no idea if this mindset will last forever, mind you, but I'm going with it for now. XD

18. Last year I had the fever really bad. I just found BJDs again and kept seeing info on sculpts that I liked but they were always limited editions or sold out. I ordered several, wound up not getting one, but had a bit more money than I have now and could indulge myself. Now I get the fever but am having to be much more selective. There's only one doll I plan to order this year but am mulling over a DT Elyria because she looks unusual to me. I'm sure there's going to be some doll somewhere I'm going to fall in love with but I'm just going to have to be more selective.

19. I haven't actually had a panic from ordering dolls, but I have taken a quick leap to buy LE dolls before they sell out. xD After numerous times of missing some of my most favorite limited dolls by a day or two, I've learned that it's better if I order sooner than later. xD Sometimes it's hard, because these dolls always seem to come up at a time when I know I shouldn't be spending on them. Luckily, they always seem worth it in the end. :3

20. My only "on topic" doll was a bit like this.
      I was at a doll convention in Seoul and there was a small box next to one of the stalls with 2nd hand BJDs in it. I had a poke around in it and found a Dollcatch Stella for approx US$80.

I wasn't supposed to buy any more (large) dolls until after I moved but that face...I couldn't leave her behind. I had to unstring her for the journey but she made it unscathed.

The woman I bought her from seemed really surprised that I wanted her though. Combination of the companies' less-than-awesome rep and the foreigner factor maybe?