1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever panicked and bought a doll?

Jun 24, 2011

1. Actually, I think this has happen to everyone on this hobbie once at least. Always is gonna appear that awesome offer of our most desired doll that you can not go unnoticed.

In my case it was a Nono Swd head and a SD10 body. Always wanted that doll but it was out of my dreams to get her because of her high price. But, it was the perfect oportunity and I didn´t regret when I bought her. And I still don´t. So I think that sometimes it is actually good have those moments of panic.

2. Yes, my yosd megu komame verison.
      I bought one when it was first released for about 3 times the price, then volksusa released her a few months later. When I saw it I told myself I shouldn't buy it because I already have one even though I wanted twins.

At the last day of the lottery about 30 minutes before it ended I sort of panicked and placed the order and won her.

3. A few years ago when the SOOM MD craze was still huge, I was in the process of saving all of my money from my first part time job for a doll. I was pretty close to affording an EL (which I have now) but then I saw the teenie gems got announced. I was like, WOW I have enough to have a SOOM monthly doll now. And I just went for it because I didn't want to miss out. These days she's not really my taste anymore and Im selling her to fund buying the doll that currently has caught my eye. So for that reason, I don't regret it. I see it as an investment in a way now, lol. But really I was so proud of myself when I bought her.

4. Yes, my MSD Tan El. Luts had a "XX left" on the site and I knew I wanted one BADLY so I ended up buying him right then and there. I got one of the last two. ;)

5. I have done this lol. I saw a MD on Soom not too long ago and waited a few days to see if I WANTED her. Well a nightmare of missing out did it for me and I went right onto my computer and bout her. Story of my life lol. :sweat

6. Very recently, all because of Fairyland.

First they announce they're temporarily discontinuing their brand new M-line body so I panicked and bought an M-line Celine and an extra M-line body for my floating head Chloe.

Wait a month....

Then they announce the tan skin event. Panic and email them asking to change my order to tan M-line Celine and Chloe. Thankfully they agreed to help me out, but it kills me that I was about 1/3 of the way through my wait and now have not only reset my waiting time but increased it by an extra 10 business days or so because of the volume of orders they've been receiving. Oi...

I'll let you know in September if I regret this or not XD

7. I did this once when I bought Alexander, my Chicline Rou. I had wanted him for a very long time and always seemed to just miss him in the rare instance of being in the marketplace. When Fairyland decided to do a limited release of the Chicline dolls, I panicked and scraped together all the nickels and dimes I did not have to buy him. xD Me actually getting him was nothing short of miraculous since I don't make that much money and I have a lot of bills. I do not regret him, however, since he is my grail doll.

8. I did, once. The ChicLines from Fairyland were out of sale for the longest time, and out of the blue they brought up a limited-time ala carte sale for them, while implying that it might be the last time ChicLines were sold again. They'd been on my wishlist for a while, and I have a very small wishlist, so I was pretty panicked. Without a job or anything, I almost resigned myself to not having them. But in my panic, I decided to sell a bunch of my stuff instead, and determinedly learned my way around selling on Amazon and eBay.

I managed to get the two I wanted, and they were as gorgeous as I'd hoped from the pictures, but in the end I guess it didn't turn out for me. I realized that they were really intimidating for me to work with because of how hard they were to shop with, and because they were so gorgeous I didn't feel happy with the idea of making them any of my pitiful attempts at homemade clothing. Their white skin also intimidated me, because the fear of yellowing made me want to constantly keep them in their boxes in the basement, which they basically did. I realized that I would either have to spend a ton of money on things like custom-made or pricey fashion doll clothing, which I really couldn't afford any time soon, or they'd probably be sitting in boxes for a long time coming, so upon that realization I decided they weren't for me.

I normally don't fall into a panic though, since my wishlist is so small and focused, so it's usually not a problem. Right now... I guess would be the closest to a second 'panic' state. There's a rumor going around of the doll I want coming out in the tan skin I've been waiting literal years for, and I know he'll cost a pretty penny at around $600. So I'm scrambling around yet again to sell some things, but I feel relatively confident that I'll be able to get him, so it's not that panicky, haha.

<3 ali

9. I actually did a couple of weeks ago. I saw Loongsoul's limited edition Farkas werewolf and I fell in love. The Limited Edition notice made me sort o panic and I ordered him! Damn the torpedoes and full ahead.

10. This is exactly what happened with me regarding :P I had ordered my Ante, and planned on just having the moe Ante. Then they say they will temp. discontinue them so I panicked because I wanted to get that body in white skin, and the bigger bust size. So I immediately went and got my Moe Woosoo vamp girl. No regrets, though. In my 30+ dolls, I've never regretted or sold any of them. I know what I like, and so far I've never had a problem :)

11. I panic bought Fox's body. It's a Dollzone body so it's not going anywhere fast, but it also happened to be the only one in stock from a local dealer.

12. Ohhhh yeah: Pipos Limited Dark Cheshire. Because of money issues, I'd missed the first couple of limited cheshires Pipos had offered up (and I still regret missing out on the jokey cheshire), so when I saw they were making an Alice in Nightmare series, I kept checking back and checking back and as soon as that button popped up on the page, BAM. Layaway ahoy. The funny thing was, I could have waited most of the time it was selling. The rabbit and Alice sold out long before the cheshire did. :sweat Ah well. I'm still just happy to have him.

13. I would only buy a doll if I had the funds available; luckily I hoarded my Christmas money until the perfect time. When Luts announced they were discontinuing CP Delfs, I panicked and bought an El. I thought I was going to throw up thinking about all the money I just spent on a doll.
      Turns out, it was the best purchase I ever made, because I love him so darn much and he's brought me so much happiness! <3

14. I had a panicky impulsive buying moment recently. I just received my second doll, my LM Sarubia, dressed her up and set her down next to my Musedoll Reche. She looked exactly as I wanted after about 10 minutes of owning her and he, well, didn't. I've spent a year trying to make him into my vision and at that moment decided it wasn't working and will probably never work. I decided I needed a new Ollie. Now.

So it wasn't a limited that I freaked out over, but I did throw down some money on a new head about an hour after I discovered it. This could either go horribly wrong or perfectly right. :sweat I'm hoping the latter because I actually went with my gut this time, and that seems to be the best way to make these decisions!

15. There have been many times when I made a very swift decision to buy a doll, because it was LE with a limited quantity, or limited sales-period, or only available at events in Japan-- but none of these were Panic decisions. They were all deliberate. I have a small apartment, so I can only buy dolls I truly love and know I won't regret having in my home, so I have to be sure before I pull the trigger. I have to be sure I want it enough to jump through the hoops for it. And I have jumped through many many hoops in my tenure as a collector (stayed up all night waiting for Iplehouse's LE10 Tan Lion's sales page to show a BUY button; bought the last LE20 Tan Soo Ri because there was only 1 of him left; resorted to Y!J and spent painful monies to grab a Dolpa-only Volks SD17 Shiro; bought Iplehouse Claude on the very last day of his sales-period, because he was spoiling my doll-plans for the year, so it took me a long time to realize I couldn't pass him up; waited 4-6 months each for DD-Anne's handcrafted Lotus Nears, because she would only be making 4 of each edition; and so on).

There have been times when, after purchase, I backpedalled & wondered if I'd really done the right thing-- you're never truly sure until the doll is in your hands!-- but, after the doll arrived, I fell in love with him & couldn't imagine the house without him.

Generally, when it comes to dolls you won't be able to get again, it is better to jump now and worry about resale later. If your gut is nagging at you that "you'll regret it if you let him go", it's best to listen, because the gut is almost always smarter (and more honest) than the heart or the brain.

16. I have done this a lot in the past, and you'd think after five years in the hobby I would learn, but nope. The marketplace is the worst culprit for my panicky impulse buys. Sometimes I feel like as soon as I know something exists on the marketplace, it's going to be bought by someone else, regardless of how long it's been there. It's how I ended up with my YOSD Rengemaru and a slew of other dolls that I sold once I realized that I had bought them too quickly without proper research.

As for companies, when I heard that Dollshe was discontinuing their boys, I bought a Bernard the same day. I realized about a week later that I had been too hasty in picking the sculpt, and I didn't really like the Bernard as much as I thought. Thankfully I was able to email Dollshe and had my order changed to a Husky. I really need to work on my panicky buys, as it has gotten me into trouble time and time again!

17. All of my dolls currently owned and bought are limited editions or going/gone out of sale. All of which are 'panic-buys' to a degree. Some more so than others. Although I do try and make sure these are dolls I want. A majority of them are dolls I waited months-years to be re-released or sold second hand. XD There aren't really on-demand in stock dolls that currently have my attention enough to buy at the moment. I have owned a few in the past, but the aesthetics I enjoy in dolls are ones usually found in the limited sections unfortunately. I would still buy these dolls if they weren't limited. :3

18. Well right now with the new Lati Olympus event I totally am.
      The second the Bayer got put up on the site I got ready to order it.
      Once my mom receives my money I gave her and can put it into her paypal for me so I can order it! *-*