1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever worried you won't be able to afford in time?

Jul 19, 2010

1. >.< i would worry about not getting enough money then the doll goes bye bye! that would suck!

2. Yes! D:
      After LeeKeWorld randomly discontinued the DollGa Noella sculpt, I panicked and asked if they were likely to discontinue DollGa Sleeping Ojallin, who is on my "musts" list... they replied with a cryptic Not Right Now But We Don't Know About The Coming Months. Eeep! :eek:

Ojallin isn't massively popular, and I don't know how many people own the sculpt, let alone the sleeping version, so I don't hold out a massive lot of hope for picking her up off the market should LeeKe go ahead and discontinue her.

DO NOT DO IT LEEEEEEEKKKEEEEE! :...(

(At least not before I can afford her...)

3. This has happened to me, twice, and I have been very lucky both times, first was Euclase who I simply could not afford, then I managed to get the rem birdy version on DoA MP at an amazing layaway, second was Tan Chalco, and I posted a WTB since I missed his sale period by a matter of hours, well when he was starting to ship I got a reply, someone had one and sold it to me at the soom price, not only that but they contacted the company and had it shipped directly to me instead, it was the most awesome transaction. Dream dolls are out there....takes a while but you can find them, I have found most of mine

4. I rarely worry because I know it will show up on the secondhand market eventually.

5. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Yes it did happen to me, with my first doll.
      He wasn't even limited at the time I found him,
      so I was saving for him slowly............
      and than the company announced they were going out of buisness
      (and did not know if they would return)

What have you done to save money faster?
      I actually broke my holiday savings to order him in time.

Which doll were you saving up for?
      (old version) Dollshe Saint.

Did you eventually get her/him in time?
      Yeps I did, he's still with me and I love him.

6. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Oh goodness yes. This entire hobby is completely riddled with limited edition dolls and I always find myself falling for them. ^^; I actually fell in love with a model that had sold out two years before I even knew what a BJD was!

I was lucky enough to score a freelance job this spring that propelled my doll savings much farther along than I had ever anticipated. It was just really good timing, I guess. The rest of the time is just long slow saving on my part.

A Volks Tsukasa Konoe

Yes, I very recently managed to get one after almost four years of lusting - and it was a very rewarding day. :whee: The name of the game, in my opinion, is perseverance. There are lots of great, inspiring 'Dream Doll' stories out there - even with dolls that aren't limited editions. The aftermarket is pretty fluid, and if you wait long enough, you'll find what you're after.

7. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Thankfully, no... well not technically. I found out that a few of the dolls that I really liked had been sold out or discontinued for quite a while, so I didn't have time to even start saving for them. I did have a scare a while back though when I thought that Musedoll had gone out of business since I really really love their dolls. Thankfully I think they were just in the middle of updating their website (it was down for about a day or so). I generally try not to get too attached to limiteds though since I know that, for me anyway, saving usually goes pretty slow.

I got a job? Actually since I don't think Crobidoll or Musedoll have any plans to go out of business anytime soon (knock on wood?), I haven't ever really felt the pressure to save up really fast. I did however sell off some of my old videogames and stuff before I got my job to help my saving go a little faster.

8. Amusingly, the two dolls I currently have, an AE Mo and a Soom MD Appini, were both dolls that caught my eye while limited. Mo was a doll I really liked, and then was discontinued in favor of the newer head sculpts and body type. Despite have the price of her being slashed, if it weren't for Mint On Card's 6-month layaway, I wouldn't have been able to get her at the time other wise.

Getting my Appini was much worse. I had to put my two BBB tinies for sale to even mark a chance at getting her. On top of that, I used a chunk of my tax return, which I thankfully had filed well early enough to get her shortly into the ordering period.

Obviously I managed to snatch them both and have decided that layaway is awesome.

9. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Yep ^^" I worry all the time about payments. Especially layaway payments x__x

( ._.)" Nothing, really. I might work a couple extra days at work or just keep hoping.

e___e)" I do it for every doll, really. So I guess the dolls I currently own and the ones I'm hoping to own right now.

Yes, for the most part |D" I think the only sculpt that has gotten away from me a couple of times is a Soom Afi. But I own one now ;D I'm lucky that my paychecks don't completely hate me XD"

10. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Yes! When I was saving for my first BJD (a PF Yoko 1st ed.) she got sold out. But I was lucky that they released 2nd ed Yoko so I was able to get her and I think I like her better than the 1st, so it worked out for the best! :)
      I just use layaway payments this way I can afford her easier!

It happened to me while I was saving for PF Yoko and PF Chou

With Yoko I couldn't get the 1st ed, but I got the 2nd ed which I liked better. With Chou she got sold out but I bought her from another authorized seller who (luckily for me restocked her).

11. It occured to me several times: A doll that I dreamed about is for sale for a limited time (because it's on the marketplace or because it is a limited edition)
      But the problem is: I didn't have the money yet!

In one occassion I lend money from my parents and payed them back later.
      In the other occassion I used money from my savings account (which was later on a bad idea, because now I'm broke and I could have used the money more wisely)
      In the last occassion I saved up BIG TIME and caculated in the last month how much I earned and spend and put the remaining money in my doll fund (resulting in actually saving up for the Doll, but still not how I want to save up for it)
      and right now I'm facing this dilemma AGAIN! :o

Have you ever been in a situation like this and how did you/would you solve it?

12. I'm always broke when the prettiest LE dolls are released or on the MP :(
      there is nothing I can do about it so I just stare at the sale page and sob. xD;;;

13. Ditto. There have been a great many dolls recently that I would have just loved to get my hands on. But... financially... it's just not an option right now. I'm always disappointed, of course, but I know there will always be another gorgeous doll down the line.

14. When this happens to me, I put them on my wishlist and then when fortune smiles on me again and I have money, I haunt the Marketplace for them. I have managed to buy almost every doll I really wanted, but sometimes it took a few years. Lots of people buy limited dolls because they like to have the latest and greatest, but later on, they find new ones they want more and it may be a good time for you to scoop them up. I have even had people pm me with great offers later on just because I mentioned in the discussion thread how much I admired a particular doll. I've sold a couple of dolls this way myself to members who really wanted a particular sold-out doll. Persistence pays off. Just because they are sold out doesn't mean you won't eventually have one.

15. I was crushed when a tan Dark Elf Soo popped up a while back and I had no way to get her. All I could do was save the photos and hope that if one came up again, I would be in a better position to get her. I try to take the attitude that if it is meant to be, it will happen.

I also started an "emergency resin fund". Basically I take five dollars a week and set it aside for my dolls and other hobbies. I also put any side money I make (bonuses form work, or from commission work I sometimes do on the side) in there as well. I managed to get over $100 at one point, and it was handy to have when a limited doll came up so I could make a first layaway payment on it.

16. Well, if I don't have the money or can't spare the money, I don't buy them. Tough but the only thing that works for me. I don't like to be broke, so I'd rather not get the doll.

17. While it is easier if you have a little "emergency doll fund" saved up, like Tonboko says... If there is no money, there is no money. I have found limited and hard-to-find dolls on the Marketplace and with WTB threads, and while it takes time and effort, it is better than nothing. I think the most impossible dolls are possible if you save up and are very patient and make enough effort. And sometimes you will have to save more money for them, just in case, but that's life.

Other ways to possibly work at getting the doll in the first place is to have enough for layaway. I often use layaway--and without it I would probably not be able to get those dolls.

If you do have a source who will lend you money and they are good with that--and you are CERTAIN that you can pay it off quickly, I might think about that... But not if you know you just don't have the money at all--only if you are having a temporary difficulty, like waiting on a check that will be coming in, or you know you can quickly and easily get the money to repay by selling something, etc. But it's best to resort to borrow money ONLY if you are having a real emergency--and not just getting a luxury item like a doll!

Otherwise, just live with it and if the doll is that important--you can try to hunt for one when you do have the money.

18. This, or as others have said, a "Dolly emergency" fund.

Lesson for Life: The only way to be ready for something unexpected, whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, is to Prepare In Advance.

19. My parents loaned me some money when Dollshe Husky was discontinued. I had money but not quite enough. I was surprised how casually and easily they loaned it to me. o_O Maybe because I had never asked before.

A few other times it happened, and I could not reasonably make the purchase, so I did not buy what I wanted. If only I did not mind being thousands of dollars in debt, I might own a Dollshe Bermann. Curse my sensible ways! :lol:

It has happened twice since the beginning of this year, but because it was a matter of not having doll specific money rather than not having any money at all, I chose to do layaways with both. With one I also put off buying a tablet PC. :sweat

Usually, if there is a doll I really want, but I do not have money saved for it, I will pull money from other nonessential funds. However, if all I have is rent/food/electicity/gas/etc. money, I just won't buy the doll. I did take a small loan for Husky, but I really don't want to owe people money for something I don't actually need in order to live.

20. That's happened so many times, I stopped counting. What I normally do is I suck it up and try to look for the doll at a later point, when my savings allow for it.
      I'd never put getting a shiny new doll above having enough money for actual emergencies in the bank, and if I learned anything in this hobby, then it is that you very often get more than just one chance at a limited / otherwise hard to obtain doll. Sometimes even for a better price.

I know I'm still glad I didn't spend close to $2000 on a secondhand doll I really wanted when only a few months later I was able to buy a brand new re-release directly from the company for a lot less. *shrug*