1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever worried you won't be able to afford in time?

Jul 19, 2010

1. Layaway if possible. I have a steady job but I'm out and on my own now. I know some people don't believe in layaway but I think it's a good alternative to missing your chance.

2. Like khell says: If I don't have money, I don't have money, so I go without. BJDs are luxury items, I can live without them -- peacefully and happily too.

But I also live by the adage that if I can't get it now, there will always be an opportunity to find it later. It applies for practically anything you can buy. Long before I got into BJDs I was collecting rare books and special editions/covers of books, and even though I sometimes had to wait and watch for months (even for years, and saving money all the while), I always found the exact edition and cover of the book I wanted, at a price I was willing to pay. Very recently I was searching for a BJD head sculpt that was both discontinued (for a couple years already) and uncommon (it's hardly in the Gallery, and only once appeared on the MP). I put out a WTB thread, and quickly got what I wanted, at an acceptable price.

So never fear: if you miss on a limited, for the most part, you will be able to find it again -- and potentially at an acceptable price for you!

3. aihre is exactly right. When I first got into the hobby, I was worried I would never, ever find the LE sculpts I wanted, at a reasonable price, with everything I wanted. I was proven wrong. I used to panic whenever I saw something I wanted pop up on the MP and wanted to jump on it. Now, I barely even check the MP, but when I do I don't feel pressured to get something just because I'm afraid I won't see it again. There is always a chance to get what you want.

4. Thank you everybody for the nice and soothing comments! ^^
      They really help because now I know that not all hope is lost!
      And right now I feel like I won't settle for less than the doll that I really want:
      DoD Kirill Elf white skin (probably limited) edition, instead of buying a NS kirill or even an Ivan!

5. I have a LE doll that isn't very popular. I haven't seen it anywhere for sale, yet.
      This doll was also released in various skintones. It would be lucky seeing another doll like mine in the exact same skin tone.
      One LE I liked was on the marketplace some time ago. It was modified and had a different face-up. I'm not into modifying, so I wouldn't be able to reverse it myself. I'd have to send it away again for that. And this LE was still more expensive than when it originally came out.
      That said I'd rather put it on layaway and take more jobs to pay it off quickly, than wait forever and maybe not be able to get it then, either.

6. Mastercard!! :)

7. Nomrally no, but sometimes I do see one I love but know I wouldn't have time to save for them before someone else buys them. This is normally on the market place and places that stock dolls in the US.

Most of the time I don't buy them at all even if they don't go out of stock.

I was horribled like this when I bought my first doll, i had her custom ordered so it was a bit less crazy.

8. Woah this is a old post! Someone revived it, lol.

Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Yes, I wanted my first BJD to be this really neat Leira from SoulDoll.
      What have you done to save money faster? Well I don't have a job so I find random little things to help me make money. I had 2 garage sales which got me like $300. Then I did little things for my mom to owe me money over time. I am now doing recycling to earn money for wigs/eyes/basic clothing. At that rate I can afford something small every month or save it up for my next doll.
      Which doll were you saving up for? SoulDoll Leira. She is still in MY opinion (because she matches a character I had planned) the most beautiful girl doll I've ever seen. -_- [looking for a similar replacement now :...( lol]
      Did you eventually get her/him in time? No u_u But I'm glad because I had always wanted a boy sculpt more than a girl, I had just never seen one I absolutely adored that I could afford. Then I saw Ringdoll Sol was available/Ringdoll Company got their act together! So now Sol is on layaway and I don't have to worry about the money. I'm just taking my time paying. =) I even have an extra $100 to get him some ball-joint hands too!

I wonder if she got the doll o_o

Edit* Oh yeah and now I'm freaking out about another girl I want for another character I had in mind that may be going out of stock. :sweat I'm not as badly obsessed with her as I was for Leira though so I'll see....

9. A few months ago, Dollndoll had a goodbye sale for a mold I'd been eyeing, Loren. I knew I wouldn't be able to get the money together in time, and it didn't even occur to me to try to get a CC to use to pay for her (I have since gotten one, which is how I've managed to secure another mold I've been eyeing, DZ Orlando). So now I've missed out on her, and I'm stuck praying that she'll eventually show up on the MP (likely for more than the goodbye price was, but them's the breaks).

10. It seems like every time I save for a doll they run out as soon as I can afford it. Luckily most of the dolls I want are not limited so I just have to wait until they come back. Most LEs I just sigh and imagine how great it would be if I was a billionaire.

11. Has this ever happened to any of you?
      Not terribly often, but when it does happen it's pretty frustrating.

What have you done to save money faster?
      Usually sell things. When I really fall for a doll it kind of puts everything in perspective and suddenly I can see with absolute clarity which of my other dolls I would be able to live without or may not even be that attached to.

Which doll were you saving up for?
      Dollzone Moment

Did you eventually get her/him in time?
      Alas, I waffled too much and then real life drama hit during the last week he was available and I completely forgot about the fact that my window of opportunity was closing.