1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Exchange Rate killing you?

May 14, 2016

1. There are many talented Europeans I wish I could purchase from but the exchange rate is crazy. 1 Euro = 1.13 USD or even more because in the end I pay more than what google exchange gives me. This is why I don't like to purchase from those places but I found a very pretty vinyl doll from the UK I couldn't just ignore. It was for £368 but I paid $544.70 :atremblin

2. Wow this is so sad ! It's so unfair ! But at the end if you like the doll that you chose, that doll is priceless ! I know it's difficult to get that...But I'm glad that I bought Ronia and Grammy...Even if the exchange rate is like crazy.

3. What annoys me is why everything is in USD, I brought from a non American shop and still have to pay USD.
      But I agree, Australians and Canadians should just rise up and demand better exchange.
      I fear it's only going to get worse for AUD coming in to the election >_<

4. Oh man that sucks! But as long as you are happy with the doll, it's all worth it in the end I think. It's just stressful paying them off.

5. THIS! I asked dollmakers many times if it was possible to pay in Korean Won instead of USD but naturally, they refused. They probably make a huge profit by selling their products in USD.

6. That's the only conclusion that I can come up with. And it's just annoying but oh well, we pay what we pay for the amazing dolls.

7. Oh yeah...so many beautiful dolls from European and Russian artists (the latter who like using USD too).

Ugh I know. :vein *shakes fist in the direction of Canberra*

8. Oh I don't even want to get into this... it's not the individual government's fault, guys. The dollar did not tank because of the Liberal party being in power. If anything, the Cons were doing much worse by Canadians.

It's supply and demand. A currency's value is dependant on other countries wanting it (and even moreso, wanting our resources). Our dollar sunk because another country was producing more oil for cheaper (the US buys a lot of oil from us, but our main production right now is from the tar sands in Fort Mac, which is one of the dirtiest and most expensive varieties of oil production).

But yes, I will agree that the exchange rate currently SUCKS. My $287 US body became $358 US after shipping, and then exchange rate on top of that made it $473 CAD. What annoys me even more is that I could've saved about $12 US on shipping if I was having it shipped to me in Canada, but because I'm going to be away and may potentially miss the delivery, it's gonna be shipped to my boyfriend in the US.

9. Australia doesn't produce enough oil to bother exporting it, but we do produce a lot of iron ore that gets sold to China, so I know where you're coming from. Still, it doesn't change the fact that all the current Aussie politicians are idiots and I am so glad the election's coming up soon.

10. Dolls became more expencive in 2 times for Russians.. though they weren't simply affordable for us ever, because RUB costs nothing :( i don't give a f to all those politicial and economcal games, it's just a fact... it's so sad that even such dolls as Littlefee, Minifee are too expensive. You can buy 1-2-3 in several years, but can't have a big doll family :( Of course I am talking about middle class people.

11. I agree, I don't want to get in to politics or whose to blame and such. It's just a fact that exchange rates do kill the dream of having large doll families, and for some people even kill the dream of getting their first doll. And I don't see that fact changing any time soon, and sometimes we just need a place to come and pretty much rant about how annoying it is, because we work hard for our money, we save hard and then our dream is made harder or stopped completely by something out of our control.

And not only that the hidden costs from the exchange also catches people off guard, such as PayPal charging to exchange money, I didn't know about that until I put my first payment down on my doll.

12. Funny fact: i was dreaming of bjd doll for many years, i thought they were too expensive and i would never have one.
      And then ruble fell, prices on dolls became higher in 2 times...and then i bought my first doll)))i n bad condition, but brought her to life. The next year I bought the second...third ))) and all this time i think i could buy 6 dolls (instead of 3) 3 years ago :D

13. The exchange rate is why I am trying to limit myself to using only funds from sold doll stuff or doing trades. Still loose some money since you rarely make back what you paid but at least it something.

PS - Paypal can be set to charge you in USD onto your credit card (at least Canadians can do this). I do this as I'm not thrilled with their rate but am still probably getting hosed. >.<

14. Oh, the supply and demand thing is true. Dang, if only our industries were greener, all this mining. That gives me a whole other thing to be salty about haha. Thanks for the reminder though :p

15. Hey, if it weren't for mining, the computers you're using right now wouldn't exist. Sure it's not the greenest way to do things, but it certainly has helped us. And this is coming from a geologist.

16. My two purchases this year were both Dollshe. I bought Amanda Beauty and a 22cm Rosa. The plus was that I got them both on sale so I figure that offsets the price I paid for them, but yeah, every layaway payment felt like I was bleeding due to the exchange rate. We bought a 'new' house almost 3 years ago now and I hadn't bought much because I was doing so much renovating. It felt wrong to spend $500 on a doll when we needed so much done around the house. Now things are a lot more liveable but I have two kids in private school so I was't planning to spend much anyway until the eldest graduates next year. The way I look at it is that the exchange rate is helping me budget. I am looking at local ebay a lot more however. I plan to sell some of my dolls shortly and rethink my whole collection. I'm basically only keeping dolls that aren't made any more and ones that I really adore. I've been in this hobby so long that I have too many dolls. The problem with shopping when the exchange rate is good is that you overspend because it's so much cheaper and you know that it won't last forever.....

17. Ugh damn right! I don't know what's wrong with my country. They even tax the doll and everything more than $50 :doh

18. yeah the pound is stupid weak atm because of this moronic EU referendum. So our buying power is just fluctuating wildly. The same item has bounced around by about £30 in the past few weeks and it's driving me mad. How can you save when the exchange rate is so unstable? Hate it. Just.. world currencies, stop jumping about the place, sit down and stabilise. we need to save!

19. Hahah we get charged for anything over £15, and £15 doesn't buy you much. It gets you like.. 1 budget Barbie. We don't pay customs till it's over £130 or something, but we pay stupid VAT over £15 and it's making importing super prohibitiviely expensive. It used to be a lot higher but our government was all "derp, we need more money, let's screw people"
      It's so frustration because on top of whatever the VAT (that's GST to aussies) is we also then get a whopping £13 "admin" fee on top to release our item. It's a ransom is what it is, and it's disgraceful. If you buy something that's £15, that admin fee alone will almost double your landed charge!

20. Living in Australia sucks sometimes since we're a first world country and it feels like we've all be banished to the ends of the Earth!
      It also doesn't help that I technically live in a "rural area" so shipping kills me plus the exchange rate on top!
      Ugh! Sometimes it's just so infuriating!