1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Preferences

Nov 20, 2017

?
  1. One set per doll

88 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. 2+ sets per doll

33 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Shared eyes between some dolls

13 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Shared eyes between all dolls

26 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
    1. So far, multiple pairs, all plastic. I would like to try some with no pupils or with fantasy sparkles or somesuch soon though.

2. Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?
      I started out with acrylic because it was cheap, but then I moved to glass, then silicone, and now I have only been buying urethane eyes. I feel glass is probably the easiest for basic colors and dolls that don't have finicky eye wells (depending on the brand and how the dome is), silicone is nice for realistic dolls, but I don't think they catch light as well and it's a dust-magnet. I like urethane the most right now. I like how they photograph.

Realistic, anime, glittery, steampunk, etc.?
      Semi-realistic. I like realistic eyes, but I sometimes buy them in colors with more saturation than is realistic or with a touch of glitter. I have a couple colored pupil eyes, those are fun sometimes. I'm tempted by those confetti looking eyes like Oscar Doll or Mehiart does, but I haven't gotten those yet.

High or low dome?
      Medium to Low dome is easier to deal with. I've had some doll eyes where the dome borders on being pointy and they aren't so great for dolls who need to look like suspicious shifty types, lol.

One set per doll, a couple of sets per doll, a pile of eyes shared between dolls?

I have like at least one pair per doll that is their "in-character" look while they tend to share the more fantasy themed eyes since I put those in on a whim. The majority of my dolls can wear 12mm eyes which makes sharing really easy! My biggest eyed boy (16mm) and my tiniest eyed boy (4mm) have the fewest options because anything I buy will only for them specifically, lol. Well, my tiny doll has the fewest eye options period!

3. I prefer glass eyes--they're inexpensive and capture the light nicely. My dolls don't really need fancy or realistic eyes, so it isn't too hard to find eyes for them. That said, one of my upcoming boys is going to get some sparkly glittery Oscar Eyes because it fits his character. I've already ordered them but they still haven't shipped...though it's been weeks...get your act together Oscar-Doll!

I'm not too fussed about domes, as I don't care too much about gapping. I prefer higher domes just because they look more expressive to me.

I've bought multiple pairs of eyes for each doll in the past but in practice, it ends up being that each doll only wears one regular pair. They all have their own characters, so it's hard to change their looks too drastically.

4. I've been using urethanes lately. They're really pretty and give the eyes so much depth.

5. I have pretty much always preferred silicone eyes from Masterpiece and Eyeco. I find that they look the most realistic and they tend to fit the eye wells so much better than eyes made of glass/acrylic etc.
      My dolls each have one pair of eyes that are their 'main' eyes that they wear most of the times- and then I have a rather large collection of spare eyes- so that there's enough eyes in case a new doll should arrive etc ; )

6. I've one pair of eyes per doll; I change them, if I find a better fitting pair for the doll. I prefer urethane eyes (usually Mako or ED) in a semi-realistic style (#addictedtoglitter), and definitely either a low dome or a medium dome to ensure the best fit.

7. What do you look for when ordering eyes? Do you prefer:
      Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?

Glass is my fav

For right now and the character I have realistic but moving more towards cat eye shapes

High or low dome?

High dome

One set per doll, a couple of sets per doll, a pile of eyes shared between dolls?

A couple of sets per doll, unless a character only needs one

8. I have various materials and I don't really prefer one over the other honestly. I also have a range from realistic to super glittery with sparkle charms. It really depends on the doll and what works for them. Sometimes you have to play around a bit. I'm new, but I already own like 6 pairs of eyes because I just really enjoy them. I really like the look of mako eyes, but they haven't arrived yet so I can't say if they are my favorites for sure.

9. It depends on the doll. I like more realistic eyes for resin bids, and anime eyes for DD's. I do like more unrealistic colours like pink, purple, red, and yellow though.

10. I want all the eyes.
      I have an average of 1.5 sets per doll. One doll has the perfect eyes for her character, the others I'd merrily swap their eyes out every time I play with them if I could. Or had the eyes. I only have one good set of 10mm so that doll just has to make do. I love the urethane and glass eyes I have, but not all eyes are equal/look good/look right for the doll's character so I have a few spare sets in 12mm (don't fit anyone) and 14mm (that just don't look right.)

Whenever I win the lottery, I will rectify this. :)

11. Mine go through several before I settle on a pair. My first had several, for variety, but Ethan has been a little stubborn with his. The first pair weren't shaped right. His current pair look nice, fit well enough, but they're not his colour. I'm hoping my MYOU Ben will come with a blue pair similar to those he's photographed with for the company pictures, then I won't have to buy any. Ethan's girlfriend, I'm hoping the first pair will be her eyes.

12. Usually everyone sticks with the eyes I initially bought them, OR what the company sent/what their old owners had. I'm buying new eyes for my Resinsoul Song and for my Resinsoul Summer because I don't know what defaults he'll have but I want them to look like brothers - so I want them to have the same eyes.

13. What do you look for when ordering eyes? Do you prefer: Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?
      For me, it's a go best with the look/aesthetic I'm going for with each character. Whether it be glass, acrylic, urethane, etc. I tend to delve more towards realism, depth and intensity.

Realism plays an especially big factor, as--even though those decal, gem irised, patterned background, sparkly, specialty, etc. eyes are cool looking, they're really not for me, nor do they fit any of my characters/dolls. A bit of a shimmer to give that sense of depth is cool by me though---anything to make the eyes look more alive.

High or low dome?

whatever doesn't cause egregious gapping, so...probably low dome.

At least one per. I'd end up with vacant-eyed zombies if any shared, and the possibility of having more than one set will depend heavily on specific circumstances (for example: Tahmos will have his normal, regular set of eyes, but I eventually intend to also get him a glowing set. He's kind of like an Avatar/semi-deity (one of 5) in my story, and the glow is supposed to enhance certain types of moments(extremely emotional, driven/motivated, when a situation specifically calls for it, etc.). I've been struggling to find a place that does glow-in-the-dark eyes with detailed pupils and aren't just led lit irisless orbs)

Also, as an added bit: I like for the iris to have some semblance of realism in the overall size of the iris to total eye ratio. The only time I make exceptions with overly large irises are in anthro dolls.:kitty2

14. What do you look for when ordering eyes? Do you prefer:
      Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?

I like the glass eyes that I've had, as they look nice in the light and are still really reasonably priced.

I love the look of glittery fantasy and steampunk eyes, but as of right now, none of my planned characters suit that style. I also really enjoy semi-realistic eyes and am working to find a nice pair of chocolatey brown semi-realistic eyes for an msd boy I'm saving for.

I have a set per doll, though I just got four pairs of 16mm eyes (which fit my initial boy!) in a grab bag so now I've got a few options if I wanted to play around with looks. <3 I'll also probably be looking into teeny tiny eyes for my DC Larry once I figure out what eye size he has.

15. Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?
      Glass looks more realistic imo, and reflects light nicely

Realistic, but I’m a sucker for unusual things like cataracts or “blind” eyes.

High or low dome?
      Like a medium dome?

A couple of sets per doll, because I like to mismatch them.

16. I only use glass or urethane/resin eyes these days... I just don't like the way acrylics look, and I've had really mixed luck with silicone. Most are the more realistic type, but there are a few members of the crew who have fantasy eyes of one sort or another.

Once I find a set of eyes that really work well for a doll, they tend to keep those. I don't switch eyes often, unless it's to upgrade from one set to something new that I think will look better. So... One set per doll is the norm over here. Which is not to say that I don't have an entire box of "spares". I absolutely do. I'm an unapologetic eyeball FIEND. If I see a pair that's interesting, odds are I'll get them in a size I'm eventually likely to use, even if I don't have a doll who needs them at the time. :lol:

17. I prefer semi-realistic low-dome urethanes. My dolls generally have one pair each, as they’re made up to be a specific character.

18. I like the looks of glass and urethane eyes. I think there's more things you can add like decals, small stickers, and glitters!!

19. My favourite eyes are silicon Eyeco they fit (flexibly) better with more realistic effect with more white filling the eye socket. I adore the urethane eyes I have, expensive but soo gorgeous, but majority not being used as I no longer use 18mm anymore/bring out the heads which use them. It is an investment to buy urethanes not knowing how well they will fit (and exchange rate is so poor), I have got out the habit of buying any new eyes over the last few years.

20. So far I like glass eyes with low domes, but I have very little practical experience with eyes so far :'D

When it comes to picking the style, I design my characters around an aesthetic rather than any attempt at realism, so I tend to go for crazy out-there eyes. Recently I bought a couple pairs of black sclera eyes, since I think they're cool. I really like the look of small-iris eyes too.