1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eye Preferences

Nov 20, 2017

?
  1. One set per doll

88 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. 2+ sets per doll

33 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Shared eyes between some dolls

13 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Shared eyes between all dolls

26 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
    1. For me it depends on the doll. Most dolls have one set of eyes and stay with them once I've found them, but I have a few characters who like to change eye color with their moods. I have a lot of Sooms and they have the silicon eyes that came with their fullsets and those are their eyes - fantasy colors, pupilless. I have some tinies and really acrylic is the easiest option at 8mm. I have glass eyes in a few because I like the rich, pure color. In one case she has partially closed eyes, so the glass lets the color show even in the small space. Another has acrylics that weren't planned but he has rejected anything else I've tried. And another has a steampunk in one side and acrylic in the other since the steampunk eye is the one that is supposed to draw your attention.

2. Silicone eyes (Masterpiece) are my favorite because you can get human/realistic iris details but with much better depth than acrylic eyes. It's kind of strange I like realistic eyes but am not fond of realistic head sculpts. However, I do think acrylics look nearly as good as silicone when in 12-14mm and smaller sizes. Dollmore has a huge variety of acrylic eyes with stunning details at low prices, so right now three of my dolls are wearing those. I have three pairs of 26mm acrylic eyes for my Lusion that were all bought from reborn doll hobbyists, and those made me realize that the realism of acrylics depends a lot on what tone of white the sclera is, because if the sclera looks greyish, the realism of the eye just isn't there. One of the acrylic pairs has gorgeous iris details but the sclera just isn't the right shade, so it makes the eyes look completely wrong. My Lusion only uses glass eyes now, but eventually I'll buy her a pair of silicone eyes.

I like the idea of glass eyes the most, for durability, but the irises look quite plain even to me even when they have threading details. I like seeing more than two colors in irises plus the straight lines going outward from the pupil, which is rare to see in glass eyes. But, I own probably 30 pairs of glass eyes in varying sizes because I like having a lot of color options to play with.
      Most people I talk to are big fans of urethane eyes, which I think look amazing as fantasy eyes, but I think they're just not my style.

3. I prefer let my my Nicole use anime style eyes.
      She have many eyes to change .

Dolls in my waiting list is realistic style, so I'm hunting for new eyes nowadays.
      Your idea is so good!!! I may take your way as a reference!!!
      I will search both style for my new livers <3

4. Definitely have a preference for Urethane eyes, specifically SOULinaBox and EnchantedDoll's Marble eyes. I like all kinds of different types of eyes, glittery, fantasy, but most of my characters are regular humans, so I mostly have realistic looking eyes.

I'd say I prefer low dome, because they are easier to move around in the socket. I own more pairs of eyes than I own dolls, but all of my dolls have a designated pair.

5. i like cheap silicon ones (eyeco) i would never pay over $30 for a pair of eyes

6. What do you look for when ordering eyes? Do you prefer:
      Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?

I love buying eyes, but I almost exclusively buy urethane. When I first started in the hobby, I tried every kind and every new type of eye felt like such an improvement over the last. Urethanes were never topped, though, for me. They're super bright and pretty and worth the money for the difference they make in my dolls. They just look so alive!

Realistic, anime, glittery, steampunk, etc.?
      I like a shimmery, clear eye with black pupils - like the Enchanted Doll Milky series or Mako AM series. I'm not a fan of the super textured eyes from Dollshe or the ED Marble series, but that's a personal preference!

High or low dome?
      Low dome. I had a pair of gorgeous glass eyes that were high-domed and they were so hard to use. None of my dolls have eyes that are bigger than 14mm, so that's a challenge. I imagine it would be nice in some of the more anime/stylized sculpts.

One set per doll, a couple of sets per doll, a pile of eyes shared between dolls?

It depends! Like I said, I love buying eyes and I just like to pick them up because I think they're pretty (and shiny, lol). I have a doll whose character is a shape-shifter, so I use her to switch up a ton of looks. The other dolls tend to have eyes specific to their characters, so that may be one or two pairs (if they have a transformation).

7. I don't usually care what material my eyes are made of, I usually don't like glass eyes though because the dome is usually too high. I think low dome eyes tend to fit better and they can be better positioned. My dolls all have one pair of eyes, except Kei who has two sets because the etsy seller I got his eyes from also sent a free pair of eyes that happened to fit his character as well. I like sparkly eyes lol. I think the style of eyes depends on the character for the doll. But I do tend to buy glittery eyes. I have one fantasy doll so he can have sparkly eyes and one doll that's just real cute so he can have sparkly eyes too XD

8. I prefer realistic low dome eyes. I never used cheap acrylic ones.

9. Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc.?
      -Depends. But acrylic eyes are easier for me to buy.

-Realistic eyes all the way. They fit my doll's characteristics. =)

High or low dome?
      -Would prefer low dome because it can fit better.

One set per doll, a couple of sets per doll, a pile of eyes shared between dolls?
      -Two sets of eyes with similar colour per doll to be more precise. I need backups for eyes as well.

10. My current favorites are Enchanted Doll urethane eyes. I like their Sweety Pearl series and many of their Unique series eyes. I hope to try out the Milky series sometime. I'm kind of just starting to build out a collection of them and am mostly liking bright colors with a bit of glitter. All the dolls I have right now wear the same size, thankfully, and can share. I find myself changing them out fairly frequently, but course some colors look better on one doll versus another. I really enjoy having my dolls be versatile and being able to change their look often. Also, all my eyes are low dome. I have trouble with eyes looking too far back in the eyewell so having the low dome helps push them as forward as possible. One doll in particular I've wanted to bevel but haven't had the courage to.

11. ive found i like glass the best because they can look the most realistic even without being a realistic style, i personally like glittery fantasy eyes~

12. Personally for doll eyes I really like natural colors and small irises. As for material I really like when the eyes reflect a lot of light in the doll’s head which usually leads to high quality resin eyes or glass eyes. I have not had too much luck with acrylic eyes. Sometimes I will get a pair of fantasy eyes just to mix it up but my husband often ends up enjoying those more than I do and wants to take them instead. This is a very interesting question though and it is nice to read other people’s comments.

13. I don't really have a preference when it comes to glass, acrylic, or any other material for the eyes. It's the color and the detail that I care about more. I definitely keep one pair of eyes / doll, but that's because my dogs generally have specific characters with that particular color of eyes. I'm really not that big a fan of high dome eyes, but since I've never really had any, I don't guess I'm much of a judge on that score. Realistic eyes are my go-to, though I probably wouldn't kick over anime style eyes if the eyes of the head are big enough to accommodate them. I don't have any use for special forfantasy eyes at the moment, but if I got a character that called for them, then I wouldn't have a problem.

14. I never got along with silicone eyes because in my experience they attract dust like a magnet and aren't easy to clean without taking them out. I've gotten to the point of giving up on glass because they almost always have high-domes and that's a problem with the sculpts I prefer. Recently bit the bullet and started upgrading some of my characters to resin eyes.
      I prefer realistic style for most of my characters, but then there are those who aren't mortal, so I get to have more fun with them. :lol:
      My dolls only get to claim one set of eyes at a time - anything left over is fair game for any incoming resin.

#54 Sianserais, Jul 25, 2019
      Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    15. Glass, and I have way more eyes than dolls, all sizes and styles. i like some urethane eyes but cannot justify to myself the cost of them specially since i feel they aren't very durable ( yellowing of sclera especially) And I'm not going to take out eyes all the time just to keep them from yellowing too quickly.

So, glass it is. My favorite ones are the ones my DZ Beetta hybrid wears, dark blue glass with gold glitter pupil. Never found another pair like it ever again, wish I could!

[​IMG]

16. What do you look for when ordering eyes?
      If I am getting a new doll, and don't like the eyes I have laying around, I'll look for something specific that seems to fit that particular doll, usually it's a certain colour or combination of colours that I am looking for when I shop.

Do you prefer: Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?
      I like glass eyes, but not all the dolls have them, sometimes I like the eyes the doll comes with and they just wear those. I don't buy the most expensive glass eyes, so sometimes the way the eyes were made makes them look wonky or uneven.

I like realistic, or low-key fantasy colours, I made a pair with red glitter and I like those, but they look like red eyes mostly, some of my dolls have grey eyes, and some have two toned or tri coloured eyes, but nothing too unrealistic.

High or low dome?
      This really depends on which doll the eyes are fitting into. I want whichever one fits best for that particular doll.

Some dolls have a pair of eyes I bought just for them, but if I want a different look I would swap them around. Eyes are fair game around here. I have a pile of them that is shared.

17. Realistic acrylic eyes are my favorite

18. I am very picky when it comes to eyes and my girls are even moreso (wether I like the eyes, or not Lol). I love the look of a lot of different eyes but only a couple of pairs per doll actually look good on them. I enjoy the glittery Oscar Doll eye types and pupil-less eyes for my dolls. My goal is for each doll to have 2 pair to change.

As of now though, I don't change their eyes often at all.

19. I prefer realistic resin eyes! My favorite shop is DOLLines on Etsy, her work is absolutely wonderful! Right now her shop is on a hiatus until August, which is a little disappointing because I need eyes for my new dolls, but that's okay because I'll be ready to order once her shop opens up again!

20. Glass, acrylic, silicon, etc?
      I like glass. It somehow gives a nice shine to an eye. I hate the idea of the going yellow over time so I stay away from silicone eyes. Urethane is fine but since I feel they are a bit too pricey considering they don't look that different from anything else. I also like a good quality acrylics.

Realistic, maybe slightly on the cartoon side (large pupil, some glitter maybe). I like special eyes, too, but I don't own any since they don't really fit my dolls.

High or low dome?
      Doesn't matter. Low is easier but high look better in my opinion.

Umm... I'm very indecisive about the eyes. They change all the time! So I'd say shared between dolls but not too often because I think they are pain to change.