1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eyes that follow you?

Sep 17, 2010

1. The glass eyes my girls wear do that, too. I think, but don't quote me, that pretty much all somewhat high-domed glass or polyurethane eyes do that. The pupil is actually a flattened ball placed above the iris and that, in adition to the distortion by the high dome makes it look, like the pupil is always centered right at us. We just never have the impression we look at the normally twodimensional surface of the iris from the side.

2. Yes, it's caused by the shape of the dome - and higher dome eyes track better, because they distort the incoming light more. It's not a speciality of Zoukeimura eyes, so if anyone wants to be "followed" they can just find a pair of good quality high dome glass or urethane eyes. If the dome is high enough, acylics can track, too (my pair of Dollmore acrylics did it very well)

And for those who don't want this effect - I've found that if the eyes are placed in a sideglancing position, the tracking visibly lessens. While in central position they can give the illusion of moving slightly left and right, in an extreme lateral position there is just too much eyewhite on one side, and the edge of the eyes on the other...preventing this effect :)

3. You don't have to have special super-expensive eyes for tracking to occur- one of my dolls has fairly cheap glass eyes (under $10) from ebay, and they track amazingly! His head can even be tilted away, up and back and it'll still look like he's watching. I think it helps that the irises are very pale- it draws more attention to the pupil and makes it look as if his eyes are swivelling. The effect, I must say, is cool but pretty creepy ^^

4. I have a MSD that I bought from Ebay that came with gold glass eyes that definatly follow you!! I have no clue what brand they are though!!! I also bought my boy some glass eyes and they follow you! I think it's just the glass eyes!

5. Thank you everyone for your help!!! :)

6. Ah! That video. When they seem "alive" it scares me.

7. I think it's kina awesome to have such eyes! I'd love to show my friends the way my boys would look back at them and their eyes folow them around. I bet my friends would freak out.But well, that's gonna be irritating when taking pictures. Especially when you don't want the eyes to be looking at the camera.

8. Most of my crew's eyes do that as well, depending on how I've positioned them, but I usually don't even notice it. I literally have to remind myself that they do in order for me to see it. So nothing creepy here.

I only really get that effect with pictures, if ever, but almost never with dolls. No matter what kind.

9. They do it even more noticeably (and easily) if they're both high-dome AND have rounded (spherical) pupils rather than simply having flat black circles for pupils. In fact, if they have spherical pupils, even low-domed eyes will do it.

A lot of urethane eyes have spherical pupils, so it's very common with them.

10. Well...I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right place -.-'
      I'm just about to order my first doll :D And she'll of course be needing eyes..which i believe are not included...and so I'm trying to order eyes, but i can't tell if you get one eye, or a set of eyes. it doesn't state it anywhere. I'm ordering from www.ail-doll.com the doll named Daryl. Could someone with a little more expertise than me, maybe be so kind as to tell me how many eyes you usually get? I'm a bit confused :|
      -Jen

11. When you order eyes, they come in pairs unless the website you're ordering them from specifically states that they're selling "single eyes" or "odd eyes."

12. ok, great :) thank you so much

13. Alice's eyes tend to follow me around. It's a little creepy at times.

14. I hope my doll comes with glass eyes like that! :D definately the first thing I'm checking when she arrives X3 The thought of living dolls doesn't creep me out one bit- I think it'd be fun!

15. Its not even glass either, Its common with metalic acrylics as well;
      My Dollzone girl has has two diffrent sets of metalic Ersa Flora eyes and both of them tracked, but her original dollzone ones didn't.
      I think it does happen more with bigger eyes, I've found mine with 16MMs in don't track as much as the 20s.

When I left my DZ girl on the sofa the other day, I came back in and my mum was saying "AH, her eyes, they track!" It was the first time she had got close enough to really notice it..
      I prefer eyes that track, they have a bit more life in them to ones that don't; It can be very creepy at first, but I jsut think of it as part of them now.

16. Omg, XD I would totally get a pair if I could and put them in just to creep out my friend. He HATES dolls and doesn't really like the one I got. He mentioned in his joking that if he caught the doll following him with his eyes, he'd burn it. Bwahahahah! >8D Pay back for pulling pranks on me a lot!

17. I recently got a pair of Mystic eyes that do this. Combined with their blood red color, it's a bit unsettling.
      ^.^;

18. I do not mind eyes that follow me. The more realistic, the better in my opinion.

19. My doll is sometimes already scary enough without those special eyes.. ^^; Although I think the doll in the video looks really wonderful and mystical with those eyes.. honestly, I wouldn't have her in my room.. ^_^;;;