1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eyes that follow you?

Sep 17, 2010

1. Glass eyes do that. I don't know which kinds work the best, but my girl has some Luts glass eyes and they follow pretty well... Although, they're too big for her (16mm) so it's hard to tell.

2. It's hard to say, really, because the eyes are high dome, but the pupil is part of the whole image that makes the details of the eye, not separate like they tend to be with glass and some urethane eyes. I don't imagine it'd be impossible, but I don't know that the effect would be outstanding, either.

3. I have an Angell Studio Van (the Count) and both pairs of eyes I purchased from them "follow" you...i didn't notice until i took some side pics of Ulqui and he was looking right at the camera :lol:

4. It's not really a waste, though. Having good eyes shows in your photos. I used to purchase acrylics because they were cheap, but they never "popped" in the photos I took. Glass and urethane eyes tend to light up more.

5. yeah definitely - it's never a waste. you should look at JennyNemesis' Shinji in his DollFlower gasflame eyes. Simply stunning, and to me they are worth it! I'm going to get some next time they have a pre-order for my Sard or Sabiks :D

6. Are Luts glass eyes better? I don't know if they will track...:(

7. Even basic Brilliant Glass eyes from Denver Doll Emporium will hold light well, and they are high domed, so you should get a tracking effect. Let me find some putty and I'll try it out for you.

(edit) I'm making the video now. I have to edit the video in order to mute it because the neighbor wouldn't stop revving his fricken Harley. God I hate how loud those things are.

8. My doll has some of those!! I keep doing the moving-doll-eyes dance, its so awsome!
      But they stop following at some point.
      My dolls name is Lucifer so when I introduce him to people they get scared and walk away.

9. I only have one doll with glass eyes that have a pupil and luckily I haven't spotted them following me xD I like it when they are able to look at something else than a camera xD
      Guess my bf wouldn't like it either, he's already scared enough of them ^^ (he's secretly sweet, since he admitted to like my yosd xD, just doesn't like taller)

10. EA Gumdrops totally follow you! :fangirl: They have perfectly concave irises, and actually spherical 3-D pupils-- so even if you set their eyes crooked, those dolls will still play staredown with you. It's thrilling because it's spooky, & also wonderful that technology allows this incredible effect. ^^

I think it's the 3-D ball pupil that does it. I've also got Enchanted Dolls and Dollflowers, and I love their depth & emotion. But they have flat pupils; they do look back at me, neither of them even comes close to actually tracking me quite like the Gumdrops do.

But depending on how you arrange the doll's gaze, any type of eye can really be made to focus right on you & follow. My Gentle Soo Ri wears acrylics, but his direct, somewhat pitiless gaze can unnerve anybody. (Check this comparison: Samir on the left is wearing Crystal Acrylics, and Karim on the right is wearing Gumdrops, and they both look like they're sizing you up.)

11. Ummm.. Souldolls premier eyes are cinda creepy.. My Mirella has Supreme eyes, and in every picture theyre looin in camera

12. I've had ED's, Dollshe's, Zouks and a few other kinds of glass eyes and NONE of them tracked as well as my Droprops. Those were just downright scary - there was literally no angle where he wasn't staring you down, other than the ones where you couldn't see his eyes. (I once walked in on my mother having a staring contest with the doll wearing them, and when I asked her about it she got all embarrassed and said he was looking at her). See this and this. They had flat pupils and low domes, by the way, so I'm pretty sure the tracking ability depends on the concavity of the iris (and a high dome can sometimes simulate the optical illusion).

My Zouks track a bit too, but you can turn his head away sufficiently enough/get angles where he's looking somewhere else. Both Dollshe's never tracked past the very bare minimum (though they had a really scary direct-into-your-soul gaze when they did), and the other glass eyes and ED's didn't have the effect at all, though I think it was because they were quite small (12 mm).

13. Thank you very much, this really helped!! :)

14. My boy's eyes do and it's REALLY noticeable. I don't usually mind, but sometimes it can be a bit unnerving..

My dealer gave them to me as a gift when I bought the doll, so I don't really know where you can find any, sorry!

15. All the glass ones I have track (even the super-cheap ones) as do my Dollshe urethanes. It's the ball pupil, since it's round from all angles and doesn't narrow when you're not looking straight at it like flat pupils do, it gives the illusion that the eye is pointed at you even when it's not. None of my flat pupil ones really track at all, not even the DropRops.

16. My Nari Pon dolls' eyes are high domed and they do follow me. It is sometimes hard to get them in a pose to look away.

17. Are the Droprop eyes from here?
      http://www.crysania.com/droprops/forsale.html

18. These eyes are the reason some people are scared of dolls. XDDD
      I find them interesting, but I would have problems changing my clothes around them. I already try to cover my dolls face when I change, I don't want them following me around too! D: