1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face plates? Or full head with Cap?

Mar 14, 2018

1. I find the faceplates tend to pop off at inconvenient times, and I'm always worried about losing one or it getting damaged. I prefer the security of a headback opening.

2. I prefer full heads with caps, they feel more kept in and secure xD like what if the parts of the face plate fall out :o yikes

3. I’ve been very pro-faceplate, because I find caps sometimes make reaching eye sockets harder, but I had to deal recently with a doll whose faceplate keeps falling off, the design seems faulty, and that’s really annoying… so I get the headcap preference now…

4. I've never owned a doll with faceplates but from what I've seen on the internet and videos, it doesn't seem very practical to mee. But I love the idea of having several expressions of the same sculpt. Guess I'll have to get one and see for myself :XD:

5. Heads with caps all the way. Every doll I've had with a face plate has had accidents, sometimes even when I've taped them for reinforcement.

6. My preference is heads with caps. I love the faceplate idea but they have to fit tightly or risk falling off and when they do fit tightly they can be a struggle to get off and on. It’s a small problem in a big world, but those are my thoughts.

7. Faceplates look more convenient and have some interesting perks, but headcaps are what I am used to seeing.

8. I like the ease of changing eyes with faceplates and the fact that the whole head doesn't have to come off when changing clothes, but there's always this small fear that the face will come flying off and get damaged. Head caps are cool because, at least when I do face-ups, I can test different colors on them quick to see if it will look good plus sometimes I use them to hold eyes and eye putty if I'm changing them out. But having to take the whole head off every time you change the doll's outfit can be a pain. 50/50 preference for either.

9. I've only owned one doll with headcaps. Personally I didn't find them that different, just a little more easy to take off. I would say that taking heads fully on and off has started making me more wary about damage lately, so I wish more dolls had face plates and that head caps weren't the standard.

10. I only recently got my first full doll with a face plate type set up and honestly, I like it. I have a hard time getting it off, so I don't think it will ever just fall off. It makes changing the eyes much easier too.

11. Faceplates scare me. I used to own a doll with a face plate that fell off pretty frequently, including once where it hit a hard floor. A friend of mine has a face plate doll with a very delicate faceup, and the plate never seems to stay on. Then again, I currently own a doll with a face plate that's never fallen off once. I guess they just make me nervous.

So, perhaps obviously, I prefer full heads with head caps. They just feel more secure to me, though I do understand the ease of face plates. I just don't trust them lol.

12. Two things that firmly make me prefer head caps over face plates:
      1. Obvious seamline: I find it a bit unsettling to have that dividing line between face and back plates be visible. It's not as alarming on animal bjds, but is problematic on humanoid ones.
      2. Higher probability of falling off. The S/O hook isn't securing it in place, and it can fall off on a whim. You're pretty much held at the mercy of the strength of the magnets holding it in place.

They're also harder for me when doing faceups. I secure mine on something like a chopstick in order to both handle them less directly, and also make it easier while applying spray sealant. With face plates I find it harder to do this.

So, yeah. Headcaps > face plates by 10,000 miles (maybe much more).