1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face up or no face up???

Sep 23, 2008

1. Both of my dolls came with the face-ups included, you couldn't choose not to get it. If I had a choice, I would want to get the default face-up unless I really didn't like it. I really don't think I could do my own...it would be too hard for me and it would probably look bad.

2. I prefer to buy the doll with a default face up as it can always be built upon and the simple style of most gives them a more "human" look. It's worth the extra money from the company as most face up artists I admire are way out there in price and I know how much it costs to do one and it just not worth it. Besides most companies are willing to do small modifications if you ask nice enough or sometimes they are willing to do a full custom face up. It pays to know the company you're ordering from.

3. Without! Granted, I do face-up commission and am very comfortable doing my own face-up work, but I absolutely LOVE blank heads! I'm always fascinated by the actual sculpt hiding beneath company face-ups

4. I think it's one of those things.
      If faceup is included in price without extra, then I'll definitely get one so I can see other people's brush strokes and take note and use as reference in the future. Hey, who knows, I might be like it and might be too busy to get my own out in a bit and in the mean time he/she will have a face.

If you have to pay extra? It depends on how nice it looks on the site. :>
      But faceless dolls is a tiny bit creepy to me so most likely I will get it with a faceup.

5. I like to buy them with faceups. The company artists are good and you know what your getting.

6. I'm going with face-ups for the time being until I get some more practice with painting on dollyheads. -hugs practice heads- One day I'd like to do my own.

7. i have bought dolls both ways, with and without. i thought it would be fun to do my own, until i found out that i am not very good at face ups. soooooo, the faceless dolls are still just that, faceless! i have now bought some faceless floating heads to experiment on! actually, i am slooooooowly improving!

i am glad, however, that my most expensive dolls have come with factory face ups!

8. Yes! It's surprising how different they can look without a face. The faceup hides so much.

That really depends on the company. I've had so many disappointing company faceups. They don't always show up looking like the pics on the site, which is why I'm so wary of getting a company faceup.

9. Almost all the dolls a plan to have will look raticaly different it some way (I plan to have a zombie JID Tatina! She will be a green-ish brown!) So spending money on something I don't much want does not seem reasonable.

10. I buy them without face ups and do them myself or pay to have them done. I have not been thrilled with my factory face ups and ended up enhancing them or wiping them off.

11. Buy 'em blank, do them myself. For all of my dolls, the factory faceups just haven't fit the character I have in mind for them.

12. Interesting. Looking back, my first doll was a company face-up but not default, it was custom and the rest are either painted by well-known DoA artists or by me. I find that I much prefer unique face-ups as to my preference but recently I just bought 2 girls and I love them so much with their default face-ups, it took me a whole day agonizing if I should paint them the way I want and make them unique or get them as I love them :XD:. In the end, all my boys have custom face-ups while all my girls have defaults, lol. 2 reasons: I prefer being unique and I want them to fit the character I have for them so if the default fits the bill, then default I'll get :).

13. Well with most guys I would get the default face-up because I want them to look 'alive' and most of the time I'm not thinging of much outside of a basic fade-up. For girls it's usually the opposite, I usually want them blank because I have a specific make-up style in mind. The exception in my Tatiana Trapese will have the limited default face-up. ^__^

14. I'm the same. No one has come to me without a face-up because I don't want to do them myself. I have enough to do for each new arrival when I make their clothes and socks etc...I don't want to have to get them a face as well, it just makes their completion date further away.

I wouldn't rule out painting faces one day, but for now I'm happy with the faces my dolls have and if I wasn't there are plenty of talented artists here I could comission!

15. This is true. I only have two dolls and both have lovely default face up. Ironically one was a promotion between clothes and the face up and the other was already in the price.
      Both are lovely. But some other companies that offer defaults free or cheap, not so much. But you never know until you try.

16. i like both options, haha.
      my 2 firsts dolls i ordered them with make up, as i was new to the hobby and didn't dare to do the face up myself. My 3rd doll (head only really xD ) came w/o one and i've been practising face ups on it, as i plan to do the face ups of all my coming dolls.
      Also, my 4th doll came with a face up, but it wasn't the shop one. I bought him second hand and the previous owner had him faced up by other girl, it fitted my chara so i didn't erase it.

I guess it depends on people and the idea they have for their characters, if the shop face up fits the doll in their mind and they can afford i don't see a problem ^^

17. I thought about this for a while before I put in my order.

I have no artistic training whatsoever.... so doing face-ups probably won't come naturally to me (though I can do my own make-up like no one's business). Having said that, I would eventually like to at least try it, though it does seem like it requires a lot of materials I don't have :doh

So that means that for right now, I'm stuck with defaults, which in turn limits the dolls I can order, because if I don't like it I can't change it. Though I guess I could go blank and send her out. Problem with that is I don't really have concrete characters in my head and would basically have no direction to give them and that can turn out either disastrous or wonderful :sweat

Oh yeah, and just from the pictures faceless dollys kinda scare me :sweat

18. Well for my LE, no-faceup was not really an option. She came with one but its also a main reason I fell in love with her:), and she was also my first doll so WAY to scared to try something so radical as to do my own :lol:.

For Polly , my volks... she was a school head so it kind of forced the issue of me learning to do faceups (rather intimidating at first but it became fun after a bit, still am not quite as good with the eyebrows:sweat but it should come with practice).

I do plan on ordering a SD soon and he will come with default company faceup because I think the default is perfect for the character that I plan on having him be, but Im saving the $ on sanding this time (I learned to do it myself).

19. I like no face up, but that's 'cause I ADORE to do my own faceups.

20. i think factory make-up is lovely, its always very detailed and pretty. but its not for me.

only one of my dolls has a default it was bought second hand(not for the face-up) and once i saw it in person it so fit i decided to keep it. sadly it been like 3yrs since the face-up was done and i know have to find someone with the same quality work to do something close.

which would be the reason i don't factory defaults. I enjoy trying out dfferent face-ups on my own before settling on a look and sending it out to an artist. this is not only a bonding thing for me but then when it needs retouching/redoing its not as hard because i can go to the same artist.