1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face up or no face up???

Sep 23, 2008

1. Okay I'm about half and half on this issue. I have two with factory face ups. I heart them to death... and I will (waiting on MNF Lishe) have two that I've done myself.

I think that I will vote on doing it yourself. It is one of the most risk free mods you can do yourself. If you don't like it, doesn't turn out right, looks fugly... what ever a little bit of wiping and it's like it never happened. lol Although some I keep pictures of the bad face up to blackmail them later. ;) If it gets really bad you can always send it off to have someone more "professional" do it later. Is it the factory face up ... well no. But I would not have gotten into the hobby if all dolls looked a like. I love surfing the database forum and looking at the same model, but totally different doll.

2. Why do people think training is necessary? I have seven years of formal art training, as well as very good high school arts program and private lessons, but there isn't a lot of that I use when I do a faceup, except, you know, a little discipline and fine hand-eye coordination, but you can pick that up anywhere. Most of the techniques used in face-ups are considered 'shortcuts' or 'too commercial' in fine arts; really, it's a lot more like doing makeup than, say, gesture drawing from a nude model or painting on canvas.

Yes, blank dolls are a little unnerving -sad and ghostlike- but that helps to motivate you to get going on that faceup! One of the things I do love about working from a blank doll is you get to study and consider the unadorned sculpt of the doll - that is something that photos really cannot show well, because of how lighting effects how the form appears in a flat image.

My own dolls are a mix of factory, mine-from-blank, and my-embellishments- over-factory faces. I do like studying factory faceups; my only problem is they do 'grow' on me and I have wound up keeping several I intended to wipe to do something original ^vxv^

Sometimes you can get the 'best of both worlds' if the manufacturer is doing a free-extra-head event - I plan to get my Lati Red with factory faceup and a duplicate blank head. Because the head will be 'free' I am very much looking forward to working on it and getting as creative as I dare, while my gorgeous new boy plays 'muse'. :D

I can't decide what bothers me more: a blank face with eyes, or without?

3. Both, depends on how much money I have and how necessary the defualt face-up is.

When the face is just perfect with the default face-up or it suits the character well, I order it.

4. I got two of my dolls without face-ups - I just really wanted to have a go at doing them myself! And I know neither of them are perfect but I am still pleased with how they look and feel they are more personal to me. I love the fact that when I got my Narae out of the box, she just looked like a little plastic doll, after waiting patiently for her for so long - and then when I started doing her face she just came to life!
      I just ordered another doll without a face-up, but for the next one on my wishlist I would probably get her with the default face-up because I really like it.

5. I guess I don't think it's necessary, just that it probably helps thing immensely. Like having a clear understanding of color theory and what supplies you should use, or what might be best. I've read some of the posts on that stuff and my head starts to hurt just trying to remember what is what ^^; Hopefully when I do decide to do it, I find a knowledge sales person with a lot of patience!

6. I always go for the no face-up option! I really enjoy doing my own face-up's, I know they will never be "perfect" like the factory ones, but I don't mind. It makes my dolls so much more personal and I love to watch them transform before my very eyes! I have no "professional" training apart from my self taught skills, I have always loved art from the age of about five and have continued to paint and draw pictures ever since.
      It's really up to the individual.......
      I have just received a blank doll....this one is so beautiful without a face-up I've been putting off doing one!!....but I will give her a face-up soon.....:roll:

All the best,

xen :)

7. If it's from Lati or Soom, I prefer to get a company faceup, they do FANTASTIC work... otherwise I just paint it myself :)

8. Unless it's part of a package deal, I wait for a custom face up/body work. I can't paint or do such things myself so last time I had a naked doll for about a year. His "blankness" kinda grew on me. XD But with a face he looks more himself.

IF the company offers custom work and I like the artist, then I would concider having them do it. All sorta depends on doll, artist and money I guess. :P

9. it all depends on what the default faceup looks like. i have never tried a faceup on a large doll, so ive not much confidence there yet, and would probably just order the default face as a base point.

10. I order dolls with face ups, unfortunately I don't have enough confidence to do them myself. And I dont think I could bear to send my doll's head off to get a face up after I received him. I think that face ups give dolls a lot of personality, without them they sort of creep me out:|

11. I've always recieved my dollies with faceups!

12. I bought my first doll with a face-up (from Luts), simply because I had never seen a BJD, I wasn't sure the hobby was for me, and I wanted to see the "finished product" to see if BJD's were what I imagined :) I am glad I did, because his face up is absolutely astounding.

However, they also sent me an 08 man with my order... blank. I wasn't keeping him, until one day I decided I was going to try doing a faceup, promptly ordered the supplies I needed, and set to work about a week later. I am no professional, but I loved the face I gave him, and he is now getting a body :D

I then also painted my tiny, Sakura... which was really really fun :aheartbea

I can't wait for my Ryu to get here so I can paint him too.... I don't think I'll ever buy a face up again :)

13. if i could do face ups as good as helene, then i definitely will do it myself!

14. i would have someone els do it for me, my hand shakes to much for my liking. however i do take pictures of black dolls and do face-up on them, its fun and safe ;)

15. I'd definitely get dolls with faceups. I also find the dolls look strange without them, and I have no skill with such things myself so...

16. I ordered mine with faceup. I liked the company's work and I'm not quite ready to do one myself yet.

17. it depends on what I plan for the doll. If I like the doll's mold and have my own plan for the head's face-up, then I'm not going to spend the extra money on a face-up.

However, if I truely love the default face-up and think it's just as good or better then what I want then I'll spend the extra.

personally I do often perfer the defualt face-ups, simply because doing a face-up would make me so nervous about ruining it beyond repare, :sweat

18. Well, I've definitely decided to get my first doll with the default faceup. One, because the faceup that goes with that doll is almost perfect for my character. Two, because they're supposed to last a long time if you play your cards right... And three, I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near ready to try it myself. ;-; So it's worth the money in my mind for sure.

19. I prefer to do my own dolls, but if I like some face up, as sometimes they make some differents and specials for the events or if is one I like from the company, I would have no problem to order a doll like this :)

Anf they really look weird in blank
      Then, I guess both for me :sweat

20. I like them with face ups, but I'm going to buy a blank head so I can practice my own face ups.