1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face up or no face up???

Sep 23, 2008

1. I always make sure any new dolls or heads come to me completely blank. This is for a variety of reasons, but mostly because when I first see the doll in person, I want to see him for who he truly is, and not let a face-up get in the way of the sculpt and distract me. Also because there's always the issue of the face-up not turning out exactly like the character I envision-I'd hate to have this image of him not being the character I want him to be stuck in my mind from a bad first encounter. Another reason is because I usually like to give some small mods that needs to be done to the head before the face-up, so it would just be a waste to have to wipe the default off. But my second biggest reason is because I'm very into custom face-ups, wether they be my me or a talented artist who is patient enough to deal with all my detailed instructions; I really enjoy knowing my guys have unique face-ups rather than a default that looks similar to alot of other dolls. :)

And lastly, because I can skimp on the $50 face-up at the initial buying, get him home faster and then save for the perfect face-up at a later time xD

2. I like the dolls with face-up so I can take them out and have them "complete" right away.
      Inkybear said a thing about seeing the doll for what she truly is. That made me think. I guess if I wouldn't like the company's face-up I would order a blank and do my own one or send it to a person who can give me one but I liked the AS-face-up for my two dolls, so I ordered it along. ^^

Laoky

3. Face ups~ I prefer to have them with a face. I cannot do faceups for crap so I'll prefer to save and get a factory to do one or hire someone to paint it for me. I can still see their personality and different characters with a factory faceup. I'm not that picky. I bond just as well as if they were blank or had a factory do their faceup for me. Even some companies let you do CUSTOM makeup ;)

4. I'm slowly building up to ordering one without a faceup. I haven't bonded with several of mine, especially bigger ones, and I've sold them on. On reflection I think the process of giving them a face and personality would make the doll 'mine' rather than someone else's. But I've been too scared to try up to now. I'm intending to enhance my Bisou-ai's face when she arrives and am considering buying a cheaper doll such as Bobobie Sprite to give a faceup too and see if I feel any greater bond with her because I worked on her. I am quite artistic in other ways, but not had the courage to try on an expensive doll yet.

5. I get mine with no faceup.

A) Its a bit cheaper
      B) I can do them myself and make it the way I want it.

6. I order mine with face ups as long as I like the face up of the company. If not I'll get a local person to do it, cause I can't do it myself. And if a face up is to plain you can always add on.

7. I would always prefer without, given the choice. But since I plan to get nearly all my characters from the secondary market, I will have a LOT of work to do. *_* My one and only complete resin charge right now has a factory faceup because he was a gift. :) I have concepts for a new face but.... I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to just enhance the factory job or wipe it. It seems a bit wrong to wipe a faceup that was bought by the person giving the gift. I dunno. Plus, I dont have a preexisting character for him, and of course he is really lovely the way he is. We'll see.

8. I pretty much always get mine with faceups. I do NOT have the talent to do it myself and the pros at the doll companies usually do a wonderful job. The rare times I have gotten blanks I have sent out for them to be done. I prefer seeing other dolls posted with faceups more than without (though I must say the Sards look phenomenal with or without).

9. I think all my dolls came with faceups, but it just kinda turned out that way, if i was to order another one id always order blank, coz i tend to have rather set ideas about what i want for a faceup, and i like doing them myself :)

10. It depends on whether or not I like the company's default face-up. If I don't like it, or if it's wrong for my character, then I'll order it blank & paint the doll myself.

Most of the time, the companies I buy from do beautiful face-up work, so I order them.

(Especially if it's a special/limited faceup. The faceup itself may have value later, as part of the LE fullset; and besides, the LE faceups I have bought so far are usually gorgeous anyway. :))

11. I'm still not good at making face ups myself. Since I'm a bit scared of sending them out as well, unless the doll is first going through a GO to the person that will do the face up, I tend to get them with the default (or custom, if there is the option) face up.

12. Always always always with faceup. I send graphics of what I want to the companies when I order the dolls so I get what I want if I'm going for a specific character. But usually the default is what I want anyway so I'm happy.

13. I almost always order a faceup - Though two of my dolls were sent to lovely DOA customizers, and I've just ordered a blank Bobobie because I hate their default faceups... so her head will be sent off too!
      I'm very creative and would love to start doing my own faceups, but I just don't have the time.

14. I most like to faceup them myself:) It's very fun.(and very excite...when it's finished)

15. I have to have faceups. When I first got Tamar, I had no clue what a faceup was, (I was just starting the hobby) so I didn't put it as an option.:doh Now i'm happy that she is going to go get a faceup done and that I won't make the mistake again when I order another doll.:)

16. I generaly like default company faceups, just not for my dolls i guess. my first and second doll were ordered with face-up's from the company. even tho they were ordered a year apart, i was extreamly dissapointed with both. i always order without face-up now, so that i can either do them myself or send them off to a customiser so i know they come home just the way i want ^_^

17. Obviously I want a doll with face-up but I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay for it so I do it myself. XD

Not really surprised by how different the dolls look in real life and company photos. I always look at the blank heads before I buy to make sure I like the sculpt.

18. for now (until i get the courage to try a faceup myself) my future dolls will have company faceups.
      OT, but hehe i guess it's a good thing my hair covers where mine are supposed to be then!
      ;)

19. I'm still trying to figure out how I went from "That much? For a doll?!?!" to "OK, so I need 2 boys and a girl..." but my current plan is for the first one (probably 2) to come with faceups from the company. The third one will have to be either done from scratch or added to, so I'm not sure on that one. I'm thinking I'll either look for a "practice head" on the marketplace, or order the first one (minifee) with a sleeping head to practice on since those are relatively inexpensive ordered with the doll.

I kind of love the idea of doing my own faceups, and I'm kind of terrified of the idea at the same time. I do want at least my first one to arrive with a face, though. I can't imagine having my precious first one sitting around with no head while it's being done, or being stuck with my crappy first faceup attempt!

20. I like to get dolls without face-ups because I like to do the face-ups myself ans because its a bonding experience between me and the doll. Also some of the characters I have designed for specific doll molds have very unique make-up.