1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Falling out of love with your Grail?

Dec 24, 2019

1. I feel that dolls are really different in pictures and in person. I was in love with all the sculpts by a particular company when I saw them through photos but when I actually managed to purchase one, I found that I didn't really bond with her as much as I thought I would. She is still beautiful but definitely not the first doll I would think of if I were to think of my dolls.

2. I had similar experiences too. I brought dolls from a company years ago, they looked so different than the pictures that the company posted so I sold immediately. and in the recent years, people are criticizing them for photoshopping their pictures.....

3. This isn't something I've experienced, but it might be due to the fact that I don't (usually) fall for fullsets. Or, when I do, I don't have terribly high expectations for the clothing - only the hope that it 90% resembles the promotional photos. Inexpensive fabric or questionable sewing technique are things I've grown to expect from non-bjd doll lines.

That said, when I finally received a doll I'd liked since 2012, her knees disappointed me a great deal. It left me quite deflated (not unto disliking her, mind, just... "oh" about it), but that's since worn off and I love her to pieces.

4. This is me right now...I recently got one of my long time grail dolls, Doll Chateau Matthew (without a head). I love his design...and I was really excited to finally own one but I can't for the life of me get his wings on after spending several hours trying...it's made all the love and desire I had for him diminish in mere moments. I'm hoping that once he has a head...I'll like him again...even if he never gets his wings attached.

5. I stumbled upon the doll site Pygmalion and when I saw their Ha I fell in love. I couldn't afford him but I dreamed of having him someday. His faceup on the website is so beautiful. I wanted him so bad, but then I saw owner photos with various faceups, and none of them looked even close to the one on the website. Most of the faceups made him look flat and soulless. I fell out of love.

6. As it turns out, my “grail” instincts were correct all along…they just needed a bit of tweaking to get right.:sweat The two dolls I’d sold after not properly developing their characters after a couple of years, I was later able to successfully “combine” into a single grail at a later date. Oddly enough, the original seller of those two grails (who happily wound up buying them back from me, by the way) put up another, older Volks Megu on an SD body for sale and I was able to snatch her up! It turns out I’d sorely missed the original character I’d created for the one doll and the face of the other…so combining them into a single doll was the perfect solution. I absolutely adore this version of her, and her character continues to grow and delight as it should. A happy ending!:)

7. I preordered a 1/6 doll six months ago thinking she was the most beautiful doll I’d ever seen, but after she arrived I started having second thoughts. She doesn’t look quite like she did in the promotional materials, so I’ve been waffling between either reselling her or changing her clothes to see if that helps.

8. It was love at first sign with CP Luts Lishe back in 2009. I couldn't afford her so I move on, but I cannot get her out of mine mind.
      While searching through eBay, I saw my dream Lishe with perfect faceup. She was still too expensive but I just could not let her go again. So 12 years later she still remain my dream Grail doll. She takes my breath away every time I look at her.

9. i just came back to the hobby and i deleted my whole doll wishlist. I realized that they were all the same type of style that they just didnt fit the aesthetic i have now. I never really had a 'grail' doll but i had that list for a long time so its a little sad but ive made peace with it.. I think its just people change and sometimes your aesthetic does too.

10. It sounds like a change in taste. I could see how if you owned a doll and fell out of love in a grail it would be similar to an emotional ex since you had time to really bond and get to know the doll on a personal level.

If it took so long to finally have the ability and you don't feel anything, time to accept you're probably a little bit of a different person now ready for new kinds of dolls.

11. Definitely happened to me, I got my grail early on in the hobby but a lot of the other “grails” I had back then I definitely fell out of love with in recent years and I don’t really keep a wishlist anymore… it’s funny because there’s dolls I have felt a “want” for in recent years but it’s not been ones I’ve expected… Iplehouse Eva for example was one of the dolls I really fell in love with recently but I never would have thought I wanted when I began in the hobby… Some dolls look nice from afar but I know now they’d probably not fit in with my collection… I think maybe a lot of it really boils down to your tastes changing/refining your tastes.

12. DD Manaka was my grail for a long time but recently I realized that I don’t really need her anymore.