1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Families knowing the cost of dolls

Jun 25, 2006

?
  1. I tell them the price

2. I don't tell them the price

3. The respect my privacy and don't ask

4. Other [COMMENT]

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Well, I live with my Nan and she's always known. But she's always been very supportive in whatever I do, so I'm increadibly lucky and I love my Nan so much! <3

I told my (paternal) grandmother though, had she flipped out, saying it was an increadible waste of money. My comeback was the fact that her partner collects stamps, and one time they spent alot of money to stay in London so he could go to an auction.

Double standards suck! At least I'm not smoking/drunk/high.

2. I've had to tell my mom from the beginning.
      Especially since I had to use her credit card to order Apeth. XD;
      And Payn's head was my 21st birthday gift from her. ^^

She went through a phase where it really bothered her how much I'm spending on my hobby,
      but then I compared it to my dad's tools and antiques collections & she started to get it a little.
      My dad's totally understanding about it, because he has a few very expensive hobbies,
      but my mom still just doesn't quite get it.
      Even still, at the very least, she's really come to like Apeth...
      and "the head" is starting to grow on her. XD;;

As for my extended family?
      Pretty much everyone so far has loved them, and my grandfather is even helping me out with my next boy. ^_^
      ...my Papa on my mom's side just refuses to believe Apeth's NOT a girl. -_-;

3. i tell them the price because i dont have a credit card and guess who has to pay for it? ya my parents. i pay them back of course but ya i know how u feel. I get embarassed when they talk about my hoby to others. I'm lucky to have the LA volks store near me so i can just go there and use my money but usually for wigs and stuff i use their credit card which is a pain in the butt because they hate useing their credit card on the internet >.< !

4. I tell my DH the price. It's alright though. I always make back the money I spend by selling clothes for them.

5. Same here...

I'm another "old gal", and I've never told anyone in the family how expensive my guys were. Including my husband. :D

As I've said before, BSR and I have sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with our expensive hobbies. I have no clue how much his computer equiptment and game systems cost, and he doesn't really have any idea about the price of my dolls beyond "they're expensive". That only works because we both trust each other not to go overboard and spend more than we can afford.

If my (very frugal-) parents had any clue, I'd get a lecture and a half about "wasting money", even though I'm an adult and haven't lived at home in many, many years. My brother would just laugh about it (He's into sports cars. He's spent much more on his Corvette than I'll ever spend on dolls, so he has absolutely no room to talk. :D ) My in-laws would be concerned about the price, but I doubt they would be as judgemental as my own parents.

6. I told my mom the price and she fliped >.>;;
      I haven't told my dad because he would make fun of me forever if I told him I was spending that much on a doll.
      But then again my mom DID say that if we didn't have such a big problem with money and the school right now she wouldn't mind so much...

Edit: I'm 16 could be part of the problem too??

7. I told my mom and she thinks it's expensive (which it is!) but I explained to her if I needed to I could always resell the doll, and since she knows how much I like them anyways (she likes them too) she probably wouldn't bug me much.
      Heck, my dad is always saving up and buying expensive toys, why can't I? ^^;;

8. My dad knows how much they cost, now anyway. Back when I first got into BJD's I just told him "you don't want to know" when he asked about the price, but eventually I told him. He has his own hobby now, and he thinks its a little strange to spend so much on a doll but he also knows that they're worth it to me. :daisy

We don't talk about things like $65 eyes though . . . there is a limit to his comprehension of such matters. :lol:

9. My family knows much to my dismay Thats why my most recent addition is a secret (she is a tiny so it's not hard to hide her) and why I'm waiting till I move out in August to buy my fourth doll even though I already have the money saved up. I'm aldready saving on my 5th and I'm not really sure wha I'll do with all the dolls when they come to visit...

10. I told my mom the price because I had to use her credit card. She was shocked, but she knows I usually don't spend money unless it's something I really enjoy or like, so she agreed.

11. My parents know now and I hadn't ever planned on telling them. *Sigh* I get the rantings and all still too and I'll be 31 this year...if I hadn't been adopted and was left to be on my own, then there'd be no problem!

12. My mom and brother know the prices. But my mom is always very open minded and such and also i dont live with her so i guess she doesnt really care what i spend my money on, but she did say "the dolls looked neat". If my dad found out how much they were though he'd kill me. Im probably going to have to get one of my friends to buy stuff for me or something x.x;

13. I told my mother the price of my Shiwoo and told her that I was thinking of buying one. She told me to think it over before buying it, I think she was trying to convince me not to get it. Then I told her that I bought him and she said "I wish you would have saved your money."

But after showing her Shiwoo and the clothes that I made for him it didn't bother her as much anymore. My Dad knows I have the doll, but I'm not sure if he knows the price or not. I hoping that he doesn't ask. I told my mom that I plan on buying other dolls and saving up for them and she said okay.

14. I'm using my parent's credit card for all of this stuff, so they really kind of have to know! The worst my mom does is make references like, "oh, so you're working on that 600 dollar doll again?" or whatever, she's kind of concerned but so far I've always paid her back! My father and brother really aren't in on this scene, so I guess my brother doesn't know and my father doesn't care.
      For extended family, I reeeally don't plan on telling any of them, unless they come over and see which I will just happen to skip the "how much do they cost" question. I won't tell my grandparents either, but I will introduce them, seeing as how I want my yiayia to teach me how to sew clothing for them <3

15. I actually have a few different situations and I couldn't vote for multiple options >_> I live in a huge familiy, but basically the only people who interact with me on a regular basis now that I've moved out are my mom, dad, my husband, and my aunt. I didn't get my first doll until my 20th b-day as a gift from my husband and because we had just moved out my parents were too far away to see it and ask. It took the anxiety of my parents coming up for a Christmas visit for me to tell my mom (I was kinda scared she'd flip) just before they arrived that I had "a new doll" and that she was "rather expensive." My mom made it very clear that she respected my hobbies and she didn't even ask how much they cost. My dad, on the other hand, was constantly asking me how much she cost, and I had to find more and more ways to dodge the question.

Then I visited their home for Spring Break (there are no beaches where I go to school, despite still being in California) and my dad continued to barrage me with the question >_< I had a serious talk with my mom and aunt (who absolutely LOVED my dolls, she collects dolls herself and makes very expensive costumes for them) and it went like this:

Mom: "Well, if he wants to know so bad, then just tell him."
      Me: "He'd never understand, he got mad at me for spending my money on $30 Sailor Moon dolls when I was 13! and he was giving me the allowance to spend!"
      Aunt: "Well, how much do they cost anyway?"
      *LONG awkward pause*
      Mom: "C'mon Mandy, you can tell us."
      Me: "alright...Isabeau was 560 and Gendry was 1320"
      *another long pause, my aunt (who was holding Gendry at the time) lifts him up and stares at his face*
      Aunt: "They're worth every penny."
      Mom: (nearly simultaneously) "That's about what I expected."
      Me: *shocked stare*
      Mom: "We'll just tell your father that Isabeau was $50 and Gendry was $100, ok?"
      Me: (dumbfounded) "ok."

And my husband? well, his theory is that if I look away every time he buys a new video game system or computer part, then he can't complain if I've earned up the money for another doll.

16. I live at home while I'm in University, but I'm 24. My family knows how much I paid for my Narae, and they don't really mind. I don't spend a lot on other things, and when they see me giving up other things I would like in order to have my doll, they realise that it's really a responsible thing, to make such decisions and to spend a lot of money on something I really want and will treasure.

But - they're the ones that seem more nonchalant about it! I had to mention to my mother that I wish she wouldn't tell other people how much my girl cost - only because she doesn't have any repercussions from telling, whereas I have to handle all the questions and shocked reactions, like "what?!! Why would you spend so much???!" Heh. I don't care what other people think, but at the same time it's easier to avoid such exchanges. :)

17. I try to avoid it, but my mom kept pestering me so I just told her :P (Since she guessed they must have cost $500, I just gave in)

18. I'm old, so I don't have to explain purchases to anyone, except maybe my BF, who gets a mite curious when too many new packages start showing up, but he's pretty understanding about my interests.

If my family gets too curious, I plan to tell them that I was going to have a baby instead, but it turns out that dolls are cheaper. ;) All they can do is shake their heads at me and mutter, at this point.

19. If its your money they dont need to know anything. But if they respect you and let you do things that make you happy i dont see a reason not to. My parents know the price but they support me. :)

20. My mom knows (she handles the money, we still haven't told my dad XD) because I have to use her credit cards to buy most of them. She's not thrilled with the price but I just tell her my boys are much cheaper than human babies ;)