1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Families knowing the cost of dolls

Jun 25, 2006

?
  1. I tell them the price

2. I don't tell them the price

3. The respect my privacy and don't ask

4. Other [COMMENT]

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. My aunt blurted out "400$". I never gave a hint on how much he cost ...just " he was very expensive" and when you think "doll + very expensive" maybe 100-200$ comes in mind.

I guess she assumed that cuz I had it imported and I treat it like gold... I donno. She knows things just like that O_O

2. My mother knows XD; She helped me pay for Roo. My father doesn't know the full extent, but he knows they're very expensive. So far this hasn't caused problems... it doesn't seem to be a big issue. My mother makes jabs from time to time, but she also interacts with the dolls a lot, so no big deal :'D She's just odd.

3. Well, my parents know the price of some other people's dolls. I told my mom the situation with the Suntan Kiss getting damaged, how much it cost, and how the company replaced it. She was aghast at how much it cost, but I assured her I have no interest in tan dolls. XD

As far as my doll, they don't know that i ordered him. x.x My dad knows that getting his face painted was $55, but he said "If you pay $300 for a doll, it better look at good as that picture." So I assume that was his was of saying if you spend that much on a doll, may as well get it painted nice. x.x

When Riku arrives I will tell them an about amount of what he cost, but really I worked for my money so it is my business. I can see more use in him than the $200 my sister spent on sharingan contacts.

4. My parents fully know the price, how many I have, and each time I plan a new one. *laughs* At first, they were a little wary at the price because it was $500 for a doll. But then my first came home, a CP Yder, and they fell in love with him. Bought me a second for christmas. My dad even lent me $1700 in order to get Mio, my MSD f-10 and a BC Lucas. He knew I would pay him back, and I have. My parents both have/had expensive hobbies. My dad buys motorcycles, and my mother loves bathing suites and used to buy knitting gear. They also see this as a very nice investment because BJD keep their prices so well.

Heck... my dad's taken so well to Winter that he talks to him. x_x' And offers him french fries.

5. When I told my mother that I was even CONSIDERING buying one, she flipped out. Huge argument that ended in us not speaking for a week. But I'm still saving for my first one... And she makes sure to get in plenty of mean comments about how she feels I'm being irresponsible with my money. Even though I'm married and living in my own house. Ugh!

6. Hmmnn, and if it's not parents..It's husbands....:roll:
      quote' It can't be all that expensive, it's only a DOLL!'

7. I just told my mom the other day after having my MSD girl home for over a month. XD She was surprised, which is really funny because I'm always mentioning prices of other larger SDs! I myself am surprised she didn't figure it out earlier how much my girl was going to be worth, especially after mentioning how some BJD owners have insurance for them!

I don't think I'll get a lecture unless my BJD hobby interferes with paying my bills, which so far it hasn't, so I'm in the clear. ^_^;

8. My mother was the first one to know in my family. I just causually told her. The next day I told her I wanted one and then my brother found out. My father was the last to know because I didn't want him to flip out. They all think that I'll waste my money on something that I'll never use... x-X I'm still trying to convince them that I will use her and that it's my money that I'm going to spend.

9. I don't actually have a doll yet, I'm just starting to save up for my first one, but my parents already know how expensive they are, because I showed them the dolls. All they said was: "Well, you better start saving up then!"

They don't really care much what I do with my money. They know I'm not (too) irresponsible, so they trust my judgement. And they can't really complain either - they spend enough money on things, too. :sweat Like since about a year ago we've had a summer home, and my dad just recently bought a small sailing boat from a friend. And it's me, not them, saying: "Do we really need to spend so much money on all that stuff?" :lol:

Though my dad did ask me today: "Do you want me to hold on to your credit card?" Jokingly, of course. :lol:

10. i'm nearly 22, so my money is just that, but i have told my mum how much my little Nissa cost, and she said 'I just cant see how you can afford something like that' to which I replied with 'if i was a drug addict or an alcoholic, I'd spend just as much and lose so much more' and she silenced up.

My dad doesn't know how much it cost because I know that while he'd support whatever made me happy, internally he'd be listing everything 'more important' I could have used the money for like food [which I have, it's not as though i'm starving or anything] or fixing my car's ac or the driver's side window is permantly stuck down [the windows rolled down is fine with me, i use less gas if I dont use the ac so they work together] or whatever.

I've collected dolls since i was tiny so it's not a new thing with me, just a slightly more expensive side of the hobby.

11. My mom knows since its thru her bank account (we have a jointed account). She doesn't mind since I pay back every penny. This time I even had most of it (400) up front in cash. So I will have him payed before she even gets the bill :)

The rest of my family (dad and sisters) call my latidoll the 400$ doll, so I guess they do know the value. They dont know how much my U was, nor will they. They don't know how expensive the clothing is and about wigs, boots, eyes... I'll leave those details out. Mom knows though and is very supportive.

12. My mom knows how much my doll cost cuz im under 18 so my mom has to do the paypal part of buying my doll.

13. my SO's family (consisting solely of his mother) knows how much the dolls cost and is OK with it, in a reserved sort of way. as for my family, i don't talk to them about it because their brains would start hosing out their ears, and we don't want that, do we? :)

14. Funny, I never considered telling my Mom about their actual price. We're both adults and we're both very good with saving money and staying out of debt so I don't think it would occur to her to ask either.

I may mention it eventually if it comes up in conversation, but just telling her about my expenses for no reason seems odd. I usually talk about things I've made for my dolls, photo shoots I've done and how the jewelry business is doing.

I voted "They respect my privacy and don't ask."

15. my mom knows the price..and it makes her ill..but she also knows that im not gunna give up this hobby no matter what she has to say about it so she's just kinda given up XD

but then again im 20 and i can make my own desicions :sweat

16. 0_0 oh my no. I don't tell them. Only my brother knows. He's got no place to talk with his Godiva chocolate and hundreds of video games. He just shakes his head at me. Anyone else would probably be mad or at least have a good long lecture for me.

17. Hehehe....Well, I'm very very sneaky with my money. Even though I'm twenty and have nearly $4,000 at my disposal, I've always been very thrifty and I never tell my parents what I get.
      Lyth had been home for a month and had gone through the pain of many faceups and wardrobe fittings before I introduced him to my mom. She was very much impressed by him, though the price made her a bit green. And I...lowered it for her benefit, too. XD
      My dad didn't find out for a long while.
      Neither REALLY threw any fits, nor did they when Reita arrived. Mom's issue was "Why do you need two of the same thing? D: Only thier faces are different!"
      Psh.
      Then Lucien came and while dad washes his hands of it, saying it's my hobby and I can do what I want with my money, my mom STILL thinks I've finally lost it and am building an empire of dolls around me.
      That and she thinks Luci is ugly in an abandoned, retarded puppy kind of way.

But who is she calling crazy? She talks to them outloud and has serious conversations, and then finds it insulting that I don't. o_O;;;

In any case, though I've the money I'm waiting till I get back to college for my next purchase. -_-; Less questions will be asked if the big scary box comes to the school post office than here at home.

18. I feel sorry for the people whose parents have jumped all over them- jeezes @_@ I'm saving for a Narin (see sig), and I've told my mom how much he costs, and yes it's a lot but she doesn't bug me about it. I've always been one to save up for big things like this *saved $500 for a flame-point himilayan kitten when I was 5* But other than my few special purchases, I treat my money like it could all evaporate before my very eyes should I spend it needlessly- which drives people nuts.

If anyone's had an issue with the prices of BJDs though, it's been ME- but honestly, this is MY hobby and I just compare it to the cost of the whole video game shebang, what with new game consoles costing $300-500 every few years, plus $50 for any games, blah blah blah. And for some reason parents don't have such a problem with buying things like THAT, but when it comes to a peice of art (BJD) that will be useful for MUCH longer than any X-BOX, they say it's too expensive and flip out over the price. And it could be compared to any other hobbies- I'm into skiing, too, and God knows new skis can cost WAY more than a BJD at times. Bottom line- serious hobbies are always expensive! And the only people who have a problem with it are the ones that aren't into them. I just wish parents could be as accepting towards a Doll hobby as they typically are towards sports/ video game equipment.

19. I tell them the price - carefully easing into it, and usually how much I've already saved and my plan for paying off the rest. So long as I show I'm thinking it through, they generally support it, and sometimes suggest an improvement to my plans.

20. when i told them how much a doll was my parents where strongly against me buying one and they told me i was stupid but i told them its my money and ill do with it as i please.